What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

August 7th, 2023 at 1:59:32 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: kenarman
Theatres take about half for showing and deduct production costs. Tell you what lend me $1B and I will pay you back what you say Barbie 'made' in a year (maybe $350M).

Using kenarman’s fuzzy math, no movie should ever enter production ever.

Every studio hopes and prays that their movie can cross the $1B mark at the box office. The fact that Barbie did it so quickly and is still going strong is a big freakin deal.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
August 7th, 2023 at 4:02:16 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: rxwine
What I do know, is when the movie starring Kenarman comes out, you're going to be out of the $100 production costs.

Ah you don't know how the movie industry works. I will get $150 from investors and be up $50. You can get in on the ground floor as a friend if you act right away.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
August 7th, 2023 at 7:19:24 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: DRich
I thought it was a decent movie. I did not like the fact that the U.S. Flag had fifty stars on it.

I didn't even notice that, good eye!
August 7th, 2023 at 7:25:46 PM permalink
Gandler
I was under the impression that almost every movie since the 90s loses crazy amounts of money (at least on paper?) I still don't understand it, but something to do with minimizing taxes and avoiding royalties so they try hard to not be profitable. But, I *think* not reaching profitability is the standard?
August 13th, 2023 at 11:55:26 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I watched most of a 1962 movie “The Longest Day”. Star-studded, but not too Hollywoodish movie about D-day. Pretty good on accuracy I suspect though I don’t know for sure on some of the incidents. I had seen bits of it before, so not finishing it wasn’t really an issue.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 13th, 2023 at 12:05:11 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: rxwine
I watched most of a 1962 movie “The Longest Day”. Star-studded, but not too Hollywoodish movie about D-day. Pretty good on accuracy I suspect though I don’t know for sure on some of the incidents. I had seen bits of it before, so not finishing it wasn’t really an issue.
the scene where a German cycles his bolt-action rifle to put a round in the chamber, making a sound like the 'clicker' that Allied troops were given in order to identify each other, luring out a soldier to get shot in the scene... that made a big impression on all us kids at the time

One reason may have been that clickers like that were sold as toys and we all had been running around with them. It was this small cheap device which only had the function of making noise to annoy someone. Probably they were WW2 war surplus, as it surely was a surprise kids would play with them. Yeah, we were bored in those days.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
August 13th, 2023 at 1:13:07 PM permalink
Gandler
Quote: odiousgambit
the scene where a German cycles his bolt-action rifle to put a round in the chamber, making a sound like the 'clicker' that Allied troops were given in order to identify each other, luring out a soldier to get shot in the scene... that made a big impression on all us kids at the time

One reason may have been that clickers like that were sold as toys and we all had been running around with them. It was this small cheap device which only had the function of making noise to annoy someone. Probably they were WW2 war surplus, as it surely was a surprise kids would play with them. Yeah, we were bored in those days.

I remember (must be that movie based on your description) my 6th Grade History Teacher (who also was the history club coach) ranting about the historical accuracies in that scene of how an American Soldier would never mix up the sound of charging a bolt action rifle and a zippo clicking (we didn't watch the movie he was just randomly ranting about it one class.) I still have never seen the movie, nor do I know much about the clicker method (or using zippos as an equivalent), so I have no idea who is right.

But, that is the main point that I recall, so if that is the largest historical inaccuracy, it must be a solid movie.
September 9th, 2023 at 7:38:37 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Trailer's pretty cool.

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 10th, 2023 at 2:50:06 PM permalink
GenoDRPh
Threads: 0
Quote: Gandler
I was under the impression that almost every movie since the 90s loses crazy amounts of money (at least on paper?) I still don't understand it, but something to do with minimizing taxes and avoiding royalties so they try hard to not be profitable. But, I *think* not reaching profitability is the standard?

Much has been written about "Hollywood accounting" and the tricks the studios use to make a profitable film look-on paper- to be a complete bomb. They've lost a few lawsuits about royalties and residuals over the years as a result.
September 10th, 2023 at 9:46:50 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Finally saw Hell or High Water tonight. Another Taylor Sheridan masterpiece. The movie is a flawless modern Western and it was nominated for four Academy Awards including best picture, best actor, best screenplay. It's flawless because there's not a single scene that you can take out of this movie. The acting is over the top, the story is over the top, the cinematography, everything. The final scene at the end between Chris Pine and Jeff Bridges is about a psychology that is so ingrained in the male psyche that I doubt if women will understand it. This movie is so good I wanted to watch it again as soon as I was done. It got 97% on Rotten Tomatoes.

I have yet to see anything by Taylor Sheridan that I didn't like. He's in his fifties and he just started writing not that long ago and he says it's so easy he wishes he would have started 20 years ago. Just finished watching Lioness on Netflix, with Nicole Kidman. It was great. Yellowstone goes without saying. The TV series that he's written, Mayor of Kingstown and Tulsa King have been renewed for another season. He has another western series coming out this fall at the ranch he owns in Texas. And he gets all these huge movie stars to be in his projects. Whoever thought Sylvester Stallone would have a TV series and a good one. Or Harrison Ford and Helen Mirren. Everybody wants to work in a Taylor Sheridan project.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.