What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

July 23rd, 2023 at 5:41:02 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I think I said it was for this movie that we needed to wait for the Critical Drinker's review. Nothing surprising here... except the claim that the marketing department was making the movie seem like something else.

I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
July 23rd, 2023 at 5:43:02 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: odiousgambit
I think I said it was for this movie that we needed to wait for the Critical Drinker's review. Nothing surprising here... except the claim that the marketing department was making the movie seem like something else.

I have no idea who the critical drinker is, but people who are the *intended audience* for the film seem to be loving it.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
July 23rd, 2023 at 6:25:21 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189

Does every film have to be a message one approves of to be good? That would be sad. Granted I don't enjoy most slasher films, but I do like general horror movies and other movies where the message is not upbeat, and the ending isn't always the good guy wins.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 23rd, 2023 at 7:52:45 AM permalink
odiousgambit
re Barbie, Shapiro's review is a little less strident and more specific as to what's objectionable, I'll post it below to keep a link in this thread too.

Both reviews can be asked " why are you taking this so seriously?" . Barbie's world has Ken as an unimportant sidekick in her universe, and they object, but actually that is, well, what it is in a little girl's world, I have to think. So to portray it is legitimate comedy, yet they both object. Et Cetera with the rest down the line. Shapiro acknowledges this criticism but says he feels he has to take it seriously because the producers take it seriously. Maybe, I haven't seen and won't see the movie.

He does bring up stuff that I agree is a bit much, like a repeated gay hand-job joke ... older girls might get it, it'll go over the heads of the younger ones I think. In any case, apparently there is a generally valid question: is this movie for young girls at all? or is it actually for their moms?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynU-wVdesr0
July 23rd, 2023 at 8:10:55 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
In any case, apparently there is a generally valid question: is this movie for young girls at all? or is it actually for their moms?

It is absolutely for both.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
July 23rd, 2023 at 8:26:55 AM permalink
rxwine
Ken doll was the unimportant doll even in its prime as far as I could tell. So it didn’t really change.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 23rd, 2023 at 10:24:12 AM permalink
rxwine
Apparently Oppenheimer has offended Hinduism.

Quote:
Addressing Nolan directly, Mahurkar remarks that “It has come to our notice that the movie Oppenheimer contains a scene which make a scathing attack on Hinduism,” before outlining the offense the scene has caused among many.

“We do not know the motivation and logic behind this unnecessary scene on life of a scientist. But this is a direct assault on religious beliefs of a billion tolerant Hindus, rather it amounts to waging a war on the Hindu community and almost appears to be part of a larger conspiracy by anti-Hindu forces. We are living in a very polarised world. The agencies, media, politics and even your Hollywood film industry is very sensitive about the fact that Quran and Islam is not depicted in any manner that may offend the value system of a common Muslim, even if you make something based on Islamist terrorism.

There is a term that has become popular for those who attempt to cross this red line – Islamophobia. Why should not the same courtesy be also extended to Hindus? We urge, on behalf of billion Hindus and timeless tradition of lives being transformed by revered Geeta, to do all that is needed to uphold dignity of their revered book and remove this scene from your film across [the] world. Should you choose to ignore this appeal it would be deemed as a deliberate assault on Indian civilization.”

Twin controversy of competing movie openings?
July 23rd, 2023 at 11:36:30 AM permalink
odiousgambit
I did go to see Oppenheimer, quick review: Interesting and evidently accurate historically. It poses Lewis Strauss as the villain who 'cancelled' [we would say today?] Oppenheimer after the war, doing so by nefarious manipulations. Of course the movie covered many other things about 'Oppie" [movie indicated that was his nickname] and those parts of the movie were very good. Of course the making of The Bomb and all that was included. The communist connections, all that was there. But the movie was largely about how Oppie was treated unfairly after the war; his security clearance was taken away and this ended this influence he had in advocating no new weapon development and instead full on arms negotiations.

I have to believe there were many people wanting to get rid of the influence of Oppie besides just one guy. Is what was shown about what Strauss did a fair depiction? Any speculation there or was this the facts?

The movie is too long, 3hrs or so. An hour could easily have been edited out, much of it was literally repeated scenes in which I guess each time some tiny bit more was revealed about what was going on. The last part of the movie alone could have been cut by 30 minutes

Worth seeing.
July 23rd, 2023 at 11:43:27 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: rxwine
Apparently Oppenheimer has offended Hinduism.

Quote:
Addressing Nolan directly, Mahurkar remarks that “It has come to our notice that the movie Oppenheimer contains a scene which make a scathing attack on Hinduism,” before outlining the offense the scene has caused among many.

“We do not know the motivation and logic behind this unnecessary scene on life of a scientist. But this is a direct assault on religious beliefs of a billion tolerant Hindus, rather it amounts to waging a war on the Hindu community and almost appears to be part of a larger conspiracy by anti-Hindu forces. We are living in a very polarised world. The agencies, media, politics and even your Hollywood film industry is very sensitive about the fact that Quran and Islam is not depicted in any manner that may offend the value system of a common Muslim, even if you make something based on Islamist terrorism.

There is a term that has become popular for those who attempt to cross this red line – Islamophobia. Why should not the same courtesy be also extended to Hindus? We urge, on behalf of billion Hindus and timeless tradition of lives being transformed by revered Geeta, to do all that is needed to uphold dignity of their revered book and remove this scene from your film across [the] world. Should you choose to ignore this appeal it would be deemed as a deliberate assault on Indian civilization.”

Twin controversy of competing movie openings?

Quote:
What was the controversial scene?

According to Uday Mahurkar the scene that has been drawing the attention of people is, "A scene in the movie shows a woman makes a man read Bhagwad Geeta aloud while getting over him and doing sexual intercourse."
This is sacred Hindu scripture it seems.

The movie has some sex scenes. This one shows Oppie's lover [this while he was married to another] getting turned on by Oppie reading it. A very young actress, beautiful , very sexy for sure, just for the record.

https://www.outlookindia.com/national/information-commissioner-says-certain-intimate-scenes-in-oppenheimer-were-scathing-attack-on-hinduism--news-305057
July 23rd, 2023 at 11:52:16 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
I finally watched "Avatar: The Way of Water."

Really good film, better than the first, and a third will soon follow.

The plot held up well enough but the film isn't so much about plot as it is Cameron creating and us exploring a new world.

In this movie most of the action takes place in or under the water, and the special effects / CGI used to construct and show this world are truly state of the art: a stunning presentation overall.