What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

July 23rd, 2023 at 12:01:55 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: missedhervee
I finally watched "Avatar: The Way of Water."

Really good film, better than the first, and a third will soon follow.

The plot held up well enough but the film isn't so much about plot as it is Cameron creating and us exploring a new world.

In this movie most of the action takes place in or under the water, and the special effects / CGI used to construct and show this world are truly state of the art: a stunning presentation overall.

I could have done completely without ever seeing the first movie. The second movie worked much better.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 23rd, 2023 at 12:06:40 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: odiousgambit

The movie is too long, 3hrs or so..

I can't remember the last time I came out a of movie and complained it was too short. OTOH, I usually don't mind the director's cut extended versions. But the chances of the original movie already being too long is usually below average I think.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 23rd, 2023 at 12:44:02 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
I plan on seeing Oppenheimer next weekend on the biggest screen available. Was too busy this weekend to cram in a 3 hour movie.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
July 23rd, 2023 at 3:37:52 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: ams288
I plan on seeing Oppenheimer next weekend on the biggest screen available. Was too busy this weekend to cram in a 3 hour movie.

I saw it a few hours ago. Decent movie but didn't cover much of what I was really interested in.

I guess I would try to classify it as a Docu-drama.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
July 27th, 2023 at 11:30:19 AM permalink
ams288
Saw Oppenheimer last night on the biggest screen in town (was going to wait until this weekend - but Barbie is stealing its giant screen on Friday).

I enjoyed it. Feels like a movie that I will come to appreciate more upon multiple viewings (Nolan movies are often like this -minus Tenet).
July 27th, 2023 at 11:51:43 AM permalink
rxwine
I’m going to at least one of these movies next week. (Letting someone else decide what she wants to see. I’m guessing Barbie, but might be wrong).
August 2nd, 2023 at 3:27:55 PM permalink
rxwine
Oppenheimer was good, but my last movie in the theater was that new Avatar movie, and this movie was just as long or longer. I'm gonna do my best not to see 3 long moives in a row. Hopefully the next one will be closer to 2 hours.
August 2nd, 2023 at 5:17:07 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Insidious the Red Door, pretty terrible. Not huge on horror movies unless done really well (this was not.) Also, I did not realize it was a series (honestly never heard of it), so I had zero idea about any of the storylines or characters. Maybe if you are a fan of the series you will understand what is going on (I still doubt it would be good), but I definitely cannot recommend it as a standalone.

I plan on seeing Oppenheimer this weekend with parents, it seems like a lot of people here like it, so hopefully it breaks the streak of pretty terrible movies this year. I do not think I have seen a bad Christopher Nolan film (even the Batmans I enjoyed, despite not being a fan of the genre), so I am cautiously optimistic. But, so far I would have to rate this not a good year for movies.

Though a horror movie that I do want to see (and do not think it is actually out yet), is that one with Dracula on the boat, which tells the untold story of Dracula killing off the crew in the book (spoiler I guess, but if you have not read the Dracula book, this is probably not a movie that you would see anyway.) Blanking on the name right now.

Edit: Actually, it seems to be called the Last Voyage of the Demeter (and does not look as good as I recall the trailers in the theaters, I think something about movie theatres make trailers seem more hype, but will probably still watch it because I like nautical themes from that time period -mid 1800s-, and is a novel concept). Somewhat similar to The Terror (and likewise we know what happens to everyone from the book, but still can be decent if done well.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FgUUO9Ztd0
August 2nd, 2023 at 5:39:57 PM permalink
ams288
lol yes, that’s the 5th Insidious movie and I would expect a newcomer to be completely lost.

I saw it and thought it was mediocre. The first two are good.
August 6th, 2023 at 6:34:36 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
I saw Oppenheimer, it was great, one of the better movies that I have seen (definitely the best movie that I have seen this year.) I normally do not like movies that are not linear, but this was well done. I don't think that I have a negative thing to say about it (even the length was not bad, the story was engaging enough that it did not feel as long as it was.)