Original Sin?

May 17th, 2015 at 3:08:10 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
For the topic of runaway slaves I direct you to the Book of Philemon. St. Paul wrote an entire short book of the Bible on the subject, it's a easy and good read.

As far as the Cuban thing you do have an opinion on it and you should. You made your opinion known when you said, "If I was a Cuban I would have hated this." If you followed this up with a reason like, because I desire to have my God given freedom, then it would be even better. The fact is we know what is right and our sins like greed, fear, and a desire to control others makes it hard or impossible to do what is right, even for a government. This problem has to be dealt with and none of us can afford to just brush it off and say "I'm not getting involved."
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
May 17th, 2015 at 3:30:01 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
You made your opinion known when you said, "If I was a Cuban I would have hated this."

But I'm not a Cuban, so I really don't.
If they hated it enough, they would
have done something about it, which
they didn't.

Quote:
For the topic of runaway slaves I direct you to the Book of Philemon. St. Paul wrote an entire short book of the Bible on the subject, it's a easy and good read.

Yes, we've done this before, we've all
read what Paul thinks of slavery. Paul
obviously saw no wrong in the concept
of one person owning another as a
piece of property. In Philemon, he had
every opportunity to discuss the
immorality of slave owning, yet declined
to do so. Why would he, it was a common
practice, you were rich if you owned many
slaves.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 17th, 2015 at 3:46:22 PM permalink
FrGamble
"Perhaps this is why he was away from you for a while, that you might have him back forever, no longer as a slave but more than a slave, a brother, beloved especially to me, but even more so to you, as a man and in the Lord." Philemon 15-16

Back to the human condition. What do you think do you want to be a better person?
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
May 17th, 2015 at 4:01:36 PM permalink
Evenbob
"Perhaps this is why he was away from you for a while, that you might have him back forever, no longer as a slave but more than a slave, a brother, beloved especially to me, but even more so to you, as a man and in the Lord." Philemon 15-16

Wow, this is a condemnation of slavery
to you? You must be joking.

Quote:
What do you think do you want to be a better person?

I've never wanted to be a better person,
never even thought about it. I rather enjoy
being who I am, always have. Why
wouldn't I.

In fact, I've heard anybody say,
gee, I wish I was a better person.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 17th, 2015 at 4:31:05 PM permalink
FrGamble
Gee, you really do have to hang out with better people ;)
May 17th, 2015 at 4:45:03 PM permalink
Evenbob
Gee, you really do have to hang out with better people ;)

Better than you? A Baptist, maybe..
May 17th, 2015 at 4:52:28 PM permalink
FrGamble
I am in constant need of getting better so if I was you I would marry a good Baptist :)
May 17th, 2015 at 5:48:23 PM permalink
Evenbob
I am in constant need of getting better

I don't remember ever thinking I wished
I was better or different. I don't run around
making poor decisions, I don't do drugs,
I don't have a bad temper, I have no addictions.

What would I change.
May 17th, 2015 at 8:15:25 PM permalink
FrGamble
It's interesting how everybody always says the same things. "I'm a good person I haven't killed anyone, etc." Bob, no one is saying your a bad person so don't look at the question that way and get all defensive. Simply imagine a more loving you, a more patient and kind you. I bet you can think of ways you can even improve on the perfection that is you. Unless of course you are willing to admit that perfection is real and its name is Evenbob.
May 17th, 2015 at 8:31:05 PM permalink
Evenbob
Simply imagine a more loving you, a more patient and kind you.

I cannot, why would I want to. Being
happy starts with accepting who you
are. Something you apparently have
trouble doing, or you wouldn't talk
about changing so much. Lighten up,
you really can't change much of anything
as an adult. You're a finished product.