Original Sin?

September 4th, 2016 at 4:44:45 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
Catholic approved, huh? I didn't know there was such a thing..

When a site has a Catholic heading, or a
Catholic endorsement at the end, that's
Catholic approved. It's part of your very
narrow world view.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 5th, 2016 at 6:44:58 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Now what it teaches is truth, but it claims no authority over the freedom of people who are not Catholic to think and live as they see fit.

So the unceasing push against abortion, contraception, and marriage equality, among many other things, is the church not trying to exert its authority on everyone.

I guess lying also failed to make it to the Top Ten.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 5th, 2016 at 8:06:04 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Nareed
So the unceasing push against abortion, contraception, and marriage equality, among many other things, is the church not trying to exert its authority on everyone.

No more so than your unceasing push against human life in the womb, keeping carcinogens away from women, and the traditional definition of marriage, among other things.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
September 5th, 2016 at 8:09:18 AM permalink
Nareed
No more so than your unceasing push against human life in the womb,

I don't favor abortion as a means of birth control, if that was your implication. It's a last resort when other options have failed or are not adequate.

Quote:
keeping carcinogens away from women,

You're off the deep end now?

Quote:
and the traditional definition of marriage,

"Tradition" is a poor excuse for oppression.

Quote:
among other things.

As a general rule, opposing faith-based diktats is the moral thing to do. That is, by blind chance alone, such opposition is more likely than not to be moral.
September 5th, 2016 at 8:35:10 AM permalink
FrGamble
I don't favor abortion as a means of birth control, if that was your implication. It's a last resort when other options have failed or are not adequate.

So an acceptable last resort is to kill an innocent human being in the womb? What were you saying about something being more likely moral, what?!?

Quote:
You're off the deep end now?

Yeah, we conveniently forget that the pill is listed next to asbestos and tobacco as cancer causing agents. I've always wondered why we forget this? It is because society hates women or just the convenience of filling them with dangerous levels of hormones is too hard to resist.

Quote:
"Tradition" is a poor excuse for oppression.

Yes, it is a good thing no one is being oppressed.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
September 5th, 2016 at 8:59:19 AM permalink
Nareed
Yes, it is a good thing no one is being oppressed.

You can call yourself fallible and broken and whatever you want, but that's poor excuse for a mean spirit that sweeps oppression under the rug.
September 5th, 2016 at 10:01:29 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
I didn't know condoms caused cancer.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
September 5th, 2016 at 10:07:01 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Dalex64

The effects of long-term use of the pill are mixed. It may offer protections and cause harm at the same time. It's a trade-off like everything else in life. But if it protected against everything and conferred a longer life, the church would still oppose it.
September 5th, 2016 at 10:19:11 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Dalex64

They don't cause cancer but they lead to promiscuity and they don't protect against HPV, which causes cervical cancer and other problems. So they lead to cancer, infidelity, broken homes, broken hearts, and other diseases. They also aren't foolproof in preventing pregnancy.
September 5th, 2016 at 10:23:23 AM permalink
FrGamble
The effects of long-term use of the pill are mixed. It may offer protections and cause harm at the same time. It's a trade-off like everything else in life. But if it protected against everything and conferred a longer life, the church would still oppose it.

Oh come on! it's a trade off?!? Did you ever notice how the easiest form of birth control is the condom but instead we decide we will force women to trade-off and balance their health vs. protection? Or we stick some kind of artificial plastic device in her? This is just stupid. If you don't have a problem with contraception just wear a condom or get to know the woman long enough to understand her menstrual cycle. It is so grossly unfair and chauvinistic what we call birth-control. Of course a condom and NFP will not protect you from other sexually transmitted diseases or emotional and spiritual pain but Nareed and others don't seem to care about that.