Original Sin?

September 6th, 2016 at 1:00:01 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: FrGamble
What in the world does that have to do with anything?

Everything.

You can tell me it doesn't when you're hospitalized due to pregnancy complications, and are wondering who'll take care of your other five children while you're incapacitated.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 6th, 2016 at 2:01:17 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Um...Do you think that because you are vaccinated it is a good idea to go around exposing yourself to the genital warts virus? You've probably been vaccinated gainst Polio, should you go around looking for the Polio virus just for fun?

No, I am merely pointing out that some of your objections to condom use are not valid.

You are really trying very hard to force some kind of point and I don't think it is working. Can you take the pill in moderation? Does an occasional pipe or cigar cause cancer? If you are trying to point out that its disastrous health effects are the main reason the Church opposes the pill then you are correct. If you are trying to say that it is not another reason why reasonable people should be against the pill then you are wrong.

Yes, you can take the pill in moderation. The active ingredients in the pill have been reduced to the minimum effective level, and the cancer risk returns to normal after you stop taking the pill.

Now lets talk about the disastrous health effects of the pill. It increases the risk of some cancers. Slightly. It decreases the risk of some other cancers.

How slightly? That isn't really clear: http://www.webmd.com/breast-cancer/guide/pill-breast-cancer-risk

There are about 1,685,000 new cases of cancer in the US each year. 505,000 of those are caused by smoking. 230,000 are cases of breast cancer. It is unclear how many of those breast cancer cases were caused by the birth control pill.

If the church is so concerned about our health, why aren't they doing anything about cancer caused by smoking? Isn't there a moral justification to say that smoking is suicide and therefore is immoral?

how many cases of cancer is the church preventing with their opposition to birth control pills?
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
September 6th, 2016 at 2:02:30 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Evenbob
You know exactly what it has to do with.
When I want advice about my car, ...I go to a qualified trained mechanic.

So you don't ask to see the mechanic's driving record and you don't confirm that he actually owns a car. All you care about is that they know what they are talking about and can fix your car. There are many unmarried people who know a lot about the medical problems, social problems, and spiritual problems of contraception and can help couples grow in their love for each other and strengthen their relationship using Natural Family Planning. Why in the world would you disqualify such people because they aren't married or are not having sex?
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
September 6th, 2016 at 2:07:42 PM permalink
FrGamble
Dalex you write this as if you think the Church had stock in Phillip Morris or something. The Church is very much against smoking cigarettes on a daily basis or becoming addicted to tobacco in any way. You want to equate the Church saying smoking an occasional cigar or pipe is okay as the same as encouraging smoking on a daily basis. You are reaching way too far. By the way I'm sure some other people in the Church would disagree with me and say that the pro-life message means zero tolerance for tobacco. I can see their point. Unfortunately I cannot see yours.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
September 6th, 2016 at 2:37:24 PM permalink
Nareed
So you don't ask to see the mechanic's driving record and you don't confirm that he actually owns a car. All you care about is that they know what they are talking about and can fix your car.

Would you take driving tips from a mechanic, or anyone else, who's never driven a car, and who quotes a book written by desert primitives 3,000 years ago as justification?
September 6th, 2016 at 2:47:52 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Dalex you write this as if you think the Church had stock in Phillip Morris or something.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8180739.stm
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
September 6th, 2016 at 3:21:26 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Nareed
Would you take driving tips from a mechanic, or anyone else, who's never driven a car, and who quotes a book written by desert primitives 3,000 years ago as justification?

No way.
September 6th, 2016 at 3:29:51 PM permalink
Nareed
No way.

Good. There may be some hope. Likewise I wouldn't take sexual, reproductive or relationship advice from a Catholic priest or the Catholic church.
September 6th, 2016 at 3:36:46 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Nareed
Good. There may be some hope. Likewise I wouldn't take sexual, reproductive or relationship advice from a Catholic priest or the Catholic church.

At one time your priest or minister was
the only one you could ask, if no doctor
was available. Those days are long gone.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 6th, 2016 at 3:46:09 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Why in the world would you disqualify such people because they aren't married or are not having sex?

Because those people you mention are
not forbidden to have sex or be in
relationships! It would be super spooky
to go to such a person for that kind of
advice. It's not that they aren't having
sex, they are FORBIDDEN from having
it. Big difference.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.