Original Sin?

September 5th, 2016 at 8:17:25 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
I'll also point out that HPV was not discovered until 1956, well after the Catholic Church adopted it's position against condoms.

So since the church was against condoms before HPV was discovered, the fact that condoms do not prevent the spread of HPV could not possibly have been a factor in their decision.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
September 6th, 2016 at 6:19:13 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: FrGamble
Planned Parenthood, based on their founder and their immoral activity would be for forced sterilizations in Africa and in poor minority communities were they set up shop.

So because of what an organization would do based on a founder long dead, contraception is evil?

Well, because of what Germany could do given the Nazi era, we should ban jet engines.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 6th, 2016 at 6:26:42 AM permalink
Nareed
It is interesting that you don't mention abstinence.

A woman might be abstinent, but if she were to be raped, all the abstinence in the world won't keep her from conceiving.

I'll tell you one thing: a bunch of childless, virginal men are not the right people to tell women how to manage their fertility and sexuality.
September 6th, 2016 at 11:17:41 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Nareed
I'll tell you one thing: a bunch of childless, virginal men are not the right people to tell women how to manage their fertility and sexuality.

I was thinking that yesterday. When did
men who aren't doctors, never have sex
and are forbidden to have sex, become
experts on any subject concerning women.
It's the hubris of the Church again, they
have to be the final word on every subject,
even when it's patently ridiculous that they're
even discussing it.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 6th, 2016 at 11:31:46 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Dalex64

The fact is, the church has their reasons for opposing the pill, but logically preventing cancer can not be one of those reasons - it is just something potentially bad that is piled on as a "reason" when clearly it is not. Otherwise, the church would either oppose smoking, or approve the birth control pill if it were used 'in moderation' consistent with their tobacco policy.

You are really trying very hard to force some kind of point and I don't think it is working. Can you take the pill in moderation? Does an occasional pipe or cigar cause cancer? If you are trying to point out that its disastrous health effects are the main reason the Church opposes the pill then you are correct. If you are trying to say that it is not another reason why reasonable people should be against the pill then you are wrong.

Quote:
As a contraception, the rhythm method and NFP are the same thing.

This is not at all accurate. You should do some research on Natural Family Planning, it is by far the best way to prevent pregnancy for those who are married and for many potential reasons feel that they are not able to have children right now.

Quote:
Now, since the church is not opposed to the HPV vaccine, you can remove one of your objections to condom use, if the people have been vaccinated.

Um...Do you think that because you are vaccinated it is a good idea to go around exposing yourself to the genital warts virus? You've probably been vaccinated against Polio, should you go around looking for the Polio virus just for fun?
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
September 6th, 2016 at 11:32:25 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Dalex64
I'll also point out that HPV was not discovered until 1956, well after the Catholic Church adopted it's position against condoms.

So since the church was against condoms before HPV was discovered, the fact that condoms do not prevent the spread of HPV could not possibly have been a factor in their decision.

We are always ahead of the times.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
September 6th, 2016 at 11:33:57 AM permalink
FrGamble
So because of what an organization would do based on a founder long dead, contraception is evil?

Well, because of what Germany could do given the Nazi era, we should ban jet engines.

I think you were referring to forcing people to use contraception or sterilizations. This does happen in places like Africa and I reckon that Planned Parenthood is supportive or participates.
September 6th, 2016 at 11:35:18 AM permalink
FrGamble

What in the world does that have to do with anything? All you need is a brain and science to tell you that artificial contraception is a bad thing.
September 6th, 2016 at 12:23:45 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
What in the world does that have to do with anything? .

You know exactly what it has to do with.
When I want advice about my car, I don't
go the lady who runs the pet store because
she reads Car and Track magazine. I go to
a qualified trained mechanic.

If I was a woman with sex and birth control
questions, why in a million years would I
go to some man who is not allowed to have
sex, who has zero medical training, and has
no qualifications whatever to answer my
questions.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 6th, 2016 at 12:55:29 PM permalink
Nareed
I think you were referring to forcing people to use contraception or sterilizations. This does happen in places like Africa and I reckon that Planned Parenthood is supportive or participates.

That would be an argument against Planned Parenthood, not against contraceptives.

So, do we ban jet engines because they were developed in Nazi Germany? Do we ban tokamaks because they came from Soviet Russia?