Original Sin?

October 5th, 2016 at 7:21:19 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Dalex64
Quote: FrGamble
Here is a link to results of a new study on the effects of the Birth Control Pill.

Pill and Depression

Are you advocating eliminating everything that might have negative side-effects in some people?

Of course not.

Quote:
People need to understand the risks, recognize if they are experiencing a problem, and then decide what to do about it.

Again it should be pointed out that the pill is not treating some illness or disease, it is stopping a normal and healthy woman from being normal and healthy. Why take any risks at all if you are not sick?
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
October 5th, 2016 at 8:14:31 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
It is stopping a normal and healthy woman from being normal and healthy.

Thank you for your opinion.

Does the church oppose the use of antiperspirant? Not deodorant, but specifically antiperspirant.

The church's opposition to contraception and the verbal gymnastics they perform to justify the contraception known as NFP are well known. In particular, "leaving open the possibility of conception" applies to nearly all forms contraception, as they are not 100% effective. Some of them are even less effective than NFP. NFP is trying to avoid unwanted pregnancies, just like everything else.

My opinion is there is nothing morally wrong with using contraception to avoid unwanted pregnancies.

Why take risks at all if you are not sick? As you just pointed out, most people are not taking the pill because they are sick, they are taking it because it is a convenient and very effective way to avoid pregnancy. It isn't like they are taking the pill and assuming the risks and getting no benefit from it whatsoever.

Why take the risk? Simple - to effectively avoid unwanted pregnancies.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
October 5th, 2016 at 8:19:35 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
You obviously have never been pregnant ,

As a married man you think I've never
dealt with birth control and the
possibility of an unwanted child?
When I was a single man you think
I never dealt with the possibility
of pregnancy in a girlfriend? That's
hands on experience, you're right
on the firing line. An unwanted
baby effects the father too, or hadn't
you heard it takes two to tango..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 5th, 2016 at 8:25:56 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
it is stopping a normal and healthy woman from being normal and healthy.

You have no respect for human intelligence.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 5th, 2016 at 8:26:36 PM permalink
Evenbob

Why take risks at all if you are not sick? As you just pointed out, most people are not taking the pill because they are sick, they are taking it because it is a convenient and very effective way to avoid pregnancy. .

For my eldest daughter, the pill is
a miracle drug. The medical kind
of miracle. All thru her teen years
her monthly periods were a horror
for her. Extreme cramps and extreme
mood swings. The pill eliminated all
of that. She'll sing it's praises if you
ask her about it. She doesn't want
kids, so she'll never stop taking it.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 5th, 2016 at 9:16:13 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob
An unwanted
baby effects the father too, or hadn't
you heard it takes two to tango..

I think you were claiming that a woman would rather go through depression than have an unwanted pregnancy. So you were not talking about what a father may or may not want and you still have no concept of the reality and difficulty of depression.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
October 5th, 2016 at 9:25:34 PM permalink
FrGamble

Why take the risk? Simple - to effectively avoid unwanted pregnancies.

Talk about verbal gymnastics. You are trying to justify using something that undeniably can cause serious health concerns when there are options available that are natural, moral, effective, and carry no risks to the woman. If you really wanted to avoid unwanted pregnancies why would you recommend the pill? I think it has a lot to do with a male dominant society that thrusts birth control responsibility upon the woman along with its health risks. Men can't be bothered to worry about these things. When we want to have sex we don't want health risks (besides STDs of course) and we don't want to talk to the woman and respect her monthly cycle.

You can think NFP is a contraceptive all you want and that is fine if that is your opinion. However, it does not have the contraceptive mentality nor the one-sidedness of the other forms of contraceptives. Maybe if it would make you and the government feel better we could say that the Little Sisters of the Poor will provide contraceptives to their employees in the form of NFP classes and training. This would be a healthier and more respectful option for the women anyway.
October 5th, 2016 at 9:39:15 PM permalink
Evenbob
you still have no concept of the reality and difficulty of depression.

You want me to document my personal
involvement with depression, just so
you can justify the Church's ridiculous
position on BC? Not gonna happen.
October 5th, 2016 at 10:01:19 PM permalink
Evenbob
Talk about verbal gymnastics. You are trying to justify using something that undeniably can cause serious health concerns when there are options available that are natural, moral, effective, and carry no risks to the woman.

Save your breath. Nobody, not even Catholic
women, believe the Church is against the
pill for health reasons.

'A recent Guttmacher research report found 98 percent of sexually-active Catholic women said they have used artificial forms of birth control — like the pill or condoms.'

They ignore the Church's male 'wisdom', as well
they should. Even the pope is on the bandwagon:

"It seems Pope Francis told a news conference on a recent flight back to Rome from the Philippines that Catholics need no longer feel obliged to breed 'like rabbits.' Should these words ease the burden of poverty, hunger, infant and maternal mortality endured by generations of Catholics as a result of having children by the year, they might be among the most important the Pope ever utters."

The pope is tacitly admitting the Church's stand on
BC has always been about producing as many
new Catholics as possible. This concern about
not using the pill for health reasons is nonsense.
If they were so concerned about a woman's health
they would have put a cap on births to keep women
from dying in childbirth. The number one killer
of women on the planet till 1900 was giving birth.
Look it up.
October 5th, 2016 at 11:41:53 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob
You want me to document my personal
involvement with depression, just so
you can justify the Church's ridiculous
position on BC? Not gonna happen.

No I want you to stop saying things that are not true , not kind, not thought out, and not helpful.

I also would love it if you stopped speaking like you are an authority on Catholicism and quoting from annyonomus sources that are even more crazy, bigoted, and ignorant than you are.