Original Sin?

October 4th, 2016 at 11:14:17 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: FrGamble
I don't understand how or why you don't get it. God didn't build in cancer.

Let's see:

1) People choose to have cancer
2) Cancer is the result of other people's "sins"
3) I cause cancer
4) Pollution causes cancer
5) Cancer doesn't exist

Which is it?

Whereas:

Premise: "God" created the entire universe and everything in it
Premise: cancer afflicts a number of living beings which are part of the universe
Conclusion: "God" created cancer along with the universe and everything in it.

Quote:
Maybe go back and read Genesis again

Thanks, but I'm already an atheist.

Quote:
You really are incapable of seeing that your actions can have real and even eternal consequences on other people.

Real, yes. Eternal, no.

Quote:
Rather than defending pollution (did you coach Trump for his debate?)

If I had coached Trump he'd have lost so badly his supporters would have wanted to lynch him.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 4th, 2016 at 11:30:09 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Nareed
Let's see:

1) People choose to have cancer
2) Cancer is the result of other people's "sins"
3) I cause cancer
4) Pollution causes cancer
5) Cancer doesn't exist

Which is it?

Well #5 is not true. The others all have little bits of truth in them, it is obviously more complicated than just one of the answers you have provided.

Quote:
Whereas:

Premise: "God" created the entire universe and everything in it
Premise: cancer afflicts a number of living beings which are part of the universe
Conclusion: "God" created cancer along with the universe and everything in it.

You don't need your second premise in your simplistic argument, they are both just statements of fact that assume the other. You are begging the question. The real question is when God created the entire universe did He willfully create cancer as well? I believe that cancer like Hurricane Matthew are the results of our rejection of God and the chaos that ensues.

Quote:
Thanks, but I'm already an atheist.

Ha, I knew you would say that. It's a good line.

Quote:
Real, yes. Eternal, no.

we're halfway there.

Quote:
If I had coached Trump he'd have lost so badly his supporters would have wanted to lynch him.

I wouldn't call myself a supporter but in a small way I felt like punching him in the nose after that debate so maybe you did coach him?! Seriously, how is this guy running for president? I blame God.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
October 4th, 2016 at 12:01:34 PM permalink
Nareed
Well #5 is not true. The others all have little bits of truth in them, it is obviously more complicated than just one of the answers you have provided.

You'd better be able to prove I cause cancer, before I take into my head to sue you for libel.

Quote:
The real question is when God created the entire universe did He willfully create cancer as well? I believe that cancer like Hurricane Matthew are the results of our rejection of God and the chaos that ensues.

In an essay about Ben Franklin and the lightning rod, Asimov cites sermons gleefully blaming the people of Boston for an earthquake that leveled Lisbon. This left people confused about the divine accuracy and fairness of their three deities. I see there's been no progress since then.

Quote:
Seriously, how is this guy running for president? I blame God.

I'd blame the Christian gods, too, if they existed.

So what did you do to piss them off that they decided to inflict Trump on us?
October 4th, 2016 at 12:41:05 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Nareed
You'd better be able to prove I cause cancer, before I take into my head to sue you for libel.

That does sound like Trump.

Quote:
In an essay about Ben Franklin and the lightning rod, Asimov cites sermons gleefully blaming the people of Boston for an earthquake that leveled Lisbon. This left people confused about the divine accuracy and fairness of their three deities. I see there's been no progress since then.

This reminds me of my favorite golf joke, but never mind. Our sinful actions do effect the world, not just our locale. I wonder if some of them left not confused about the divine accuracy but the reality of their sin and the seriousness of living a good moral life.

Quote:
.So what did you do to piss them off that they decided to inflict Trump on us?

I think it is more what did you do. Trump is your fault. If you would just believe in Jesus Christ none of this would have happened, its not too late. (by the way I think this is my strongest personal argument for you to accept the Lord as your savior.)
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
October 4th, 2016 at 1:07:31 PM permalink
Nareed
This reminds me of my favorite golf joke, but never mind.

I thought golf was a practical joke.

Quote:
I think it is more what did you do. Trump is your fault. If you would just believe in Jesus Christ none of this would have happened

Trump probably believes in Jesus Christ. What does that tell you?

Quote:
(by the way I think this is my strongest personal argument for you to accept the Lord as your savior.)

As far as jokes go, it's entirely predictable.
October 4th, 2016 at 1:18:15 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Oh its just acting...why in the world would anyone act out such sick stuff?!?

At least they have you to judge them
and put them in their place. When
you leave seminary they probably told
you 'Go, priest, the world is yours to
judge.' How do you bear the burden
of so much sexual baggage, it would
drive me crazy to be as hung up on sex
as you are.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 5th, 2016 at 3:21:45 PM permalink
FrGamble
Here is a link to results of a new study on the effects of the Birth Control Pill.

Pill and Depression
October 5th, 2016 at 4:00:12 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Here is a link to results of a new study on the effects of the Birth Control Pill.

Pill and Depression

Believe me when I tell you most
women will take a chance any day
of maybe having some depression,
over having the real depression of
dealing with an unwanted pregnancy.
An unwanted baby is a life changer.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 5th, 2016 at 6:27:34 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3

Pill and Depression

Are you advocating eliminating everything that might have negative side-effects in some people?

People need to understand the risks, recognize if they are experiencing a problem, and then decide what to do about it.

It looks like depression already is the #1 reason people stop taking the pill.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
October 5th, 2016 at 7:19:22 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob

Pill and Depression

Believe me when I tell you most
women will take a chance any day
of maybe having some depression,
over having the real depression of
dealing with an unwanted pregnancy.
An unwanted baby is a life changer.

I thought you didn't want people talking about things they know nothing about. You obviously have never been pregnant and you also have never had to deal with depression, which is obvious by your ignorant remarks about it.