Original Sin?

October 6th, 2016 at 12:12:40 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble

I also would love it if you stopped speaking like you are an authority on Catholicism and quoting from annyonomus sources that are even more crazy, bigoted, and ignorant than you are.

Here's the pope quote source. I don't
bother because you'll just shoot it
down as you're trained to do. But
the pope really said it, like it or not.

When did you turn into a more arrogant
ass than you usually are, it's not a good
look on you.

https://www.thestar.com/news/insight/2015/01/23/why-the-catholic-church-is-still-against-contraception.html
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 6th, 2016 at 4:45:35 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
So, is the church against antiperspirant?

It prevents something normal and healthy (perspiring), and has a risk of causing cancer. It's purposes are for vanity and convenience.

Antiperspirants and Breast Cancer Risk - American Cancer Society
http://m.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/othercarcinogens/athome/antiperspirants-and-breast-cancer-risk
http://www.m.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/features/antiperspirant-facts-safety
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
October 6th, 2016 at 4:55:54 AM permalink
Dalex64
Talk about verbal gymnastics. You are trying to justify using something that undeniably can cause serious health concerns when there are options available that are natural, moral, effective, and carry no risks to the woman. If you really wanted to avoid unwanted pregnancies why would you recommend the pill? I think it has a lot to do with a male dominant society that thrusts birth control responsibility upon the woman along with its health risks. Men can't be bothered to worry about these things. When we want to have sex we don't want health risks (besides STDs of course) and we don't want to talk to the woman and respect her monthly cycle.

You can think NFP is a contraceptive all you want and that is fine if that is your opinion. However, it does not have the contraceptive mentality nor the one-sidedness of the other forms of contraceptives. Maybe if it would make you and the government feel better we could say that the Little Sisters of the Poor will provide contraceptives to their employees in the form of NFP classes and training. This would be a healthier and more respectful option for the women anyway.

What is one-sided, or thrusting the responsibility onto women, about condoms and a vasectomy?

Why recommend the pill? Again, it is highly effective, and convenient and easy to use. It also has health benefits, not just risks, so it isn't about just taking risks for the sole benefit of avoiding pregnancy.

It isn't just about men, either. Women on the pill also do not want to "respect the monthly cycle" which is another silly reason to be opposed to contraception.

There is also no reason not to use NFP if you want to. If you really didn't want to get pregnant, you could leave open the slim possibility of conception, and share the responsibility by using NFP, condoms, and the pill all at the same time.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
October 6th, 2016 at 6:47:12 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Talk about verbal gymnastics. You are trying to justify using something that undeniably can cause serious health concerns when there are options available that are natural, moral, effective, and carry no risks to the woman.

You can be spared from the charge of indulging in verbal gymnastics, because such a contorted display it's way too ugly to be called "gymnastics."

Seriously, calling NFP "better" or "effective" is like proclaiming the Sahara to be fertile or the Arctic to be warm. It's too nakedly Orwellian even for you.

And this nonsense about it carrying no risks? That's your assumption that pregnancy isn't a risk.

Quote:
If you really wanted to avoid unwanted pregnancies why would you recommend the pill?

And that's like asking "If you wanted to travel very far in a short time, why would you recommend an airplane?"

Quote:
I think it has a lot to do with a male dominant society that thrusts birth control responsibility upon the woman along with its health risks.

Come on. You know feminists love the pill, precisely because it allows women to control their fertility as they see fit, without spiritual enslavement to the church. That's what really bothers you and the so-called infallible cult leaders you follow.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 6th, 2016 at 7:59:12 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Evenbob
Here's the pope quote source. I don't
bother because you'll just shoot it
down as you're trained to do. But
the pope really said it, like it or not.

That isn't a link to the pope quote source, but rather an effective opinion piece about an interpretation of what the Pope said. The author used just six words from the Pope and paraphrased the rest to his or her liking.

Don't assume that I will just shoot it down and don't assume that I'm trained to do so. It is just good practice if you are going to say that the Pope said something to link to the actual statement. Sometimes, not always, there is context or something that you might not understand that can help explain what is really being said. Like it or not if we have the actual quote it becomes more clear what is really being said.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
October 6th, 2016 at 8:01:17 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Dalex64
So, is the church against antiperspirant?

It prevents something normal and healthy (perspiring), and has a risk of causing cancer. It's purposes are for vanity and convenience.

Antiperspirants and Breast Cancer Risk - American Cancer Society
http://m.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/othercarcinogens/athome/antiperspirants-and-breast-cancer-risk
http://www.m.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/features/antiperspirant-facts-safety

The Church is not against antiperspirant because as the links you provide make clear it does not really raise your risk of having cancer. However, becoming more and more popular are natural antiperspirants and deodorants that don't have the problematic chemicals and such.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
October 6th, 2016 at 8:07:58 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Nareed

Seriously, calling NFP "better" or "effective" is like proclaiming the Sahara to be fertile or the Arctic to be warm.

Really, you are the queen of hyperbole and exaggeration. It shows the weakness of your argument. How can something be that much better as you describe when it raises your chance for certain cancers and can cause depression? Having sex during times when the woman is naturally infertile is 100% effective.

Quote:
And that's like asking "If you wanted to travel very far in a short time, why would you recommend an airplane?"

Again just sad that you would close your mind and eyes to the dangers of the pill. An airplane is much safer.

Quote:
Come on. You know feminists love the pill, precisely because it allows women to control their fertility as they see fit, without spiritual enslavement to the church. That's what really bothers you and the so-called infallible cult leaders you follow.

When you sound like Evenbob it is so disgusting. I can only handle one crazy person telling me conspiracy theories about what my Church really thinks, feels, or is motivated by. Give me a break!
October 6th, 2016 at 8:13:54 AM permalink
Dalex64
Having sex during times when the woman is naturally infertile is 100% effective.

if it is 100% effective then it does not leave open the possibility of conception.
October 6th, 2016 at 8:23:11 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Really, you are the queen of hyperbole and exaggeration.

Thank you!

Quote:
How can something be that much better as you describe when it raises your chance for certain cancers and can cause depression?

NFP raises the risk of ovarian and uterine cancer, and can cause pregnancy. You'd better have a point.

Quote:
Having sex during times when the woman is naturally infertile is 100% effective.

The reason why Catholic families tend to be so small, right? Oh, my bad. They're soooooooo not small, unless they resort to actual methods of contraception like the pill.

But surely you know this.

Quote:
I can only handle one crazy person telling me conspiracy theories about what my Church really thinks, feels, or is motivated by. Give me a break!

I can't in good conscience do as you ask. After all, your church admits they are conspiring to foster belief in imaginary beings. But they do so only to foster obedience and tribute to the church.

Oh, and did you forget we're at war?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 6th, 2016 at 11:52:17 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

Don't assume that I will just shoot it down and don't assume that I'm trained to do so.

Shoot this down, from NPR:

On his return trip from Asia, Pope Francis made strong statements supporting the church's ban on artificial means of birth control. He also said Catholics should practice "responsible parenthood" and don't have to breed "like rabbits."

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/01/20/378559550/pope-francis-says-catholics-dont-need-to-breed-like-rabbits
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.