Original Sin?

October 8th, 2016 at 6:51:37 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: FrGamble
It is kind of surreal to me that so many non-Catholics and even some who do not believe in God want to abide by the Church's theological understanding of morality. I am under no illusions that the theological understanding of marriage and why birth control is intrinsically evil according to the Catholic Church is going to suddenly have you change your mind. As a non-Catholic it is not as if you are held to following our moral teachings anyway. However, by showing clearly that contraceptives are not good for couples in regards to their communication and also in showing that the pill, the most pushed medicine in our culture today, is harmful for women - I would hope that just in a secular sense, leaving God and eternal punishment (which doesn't apply to those who don't understand or are not bound to the teaching) out of it, you would see the bill of goods the snake oil salesman called secular materialism have sold you.

You are again glossing over or omitting the church teaching that those who DO understand, and willfully don't follow the teaching of the church, are doomed to hell whether or not they are Catholic.

From my perspective, yes I am not bound to your moral teachings, and nothing bad will happen to me as a result. From your perspective, I am doomed to purgatory or hell.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
October 8th, 2016 at 7:03:25 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
You know I used to think your ignorance.

I report, you decide.

"If you had a vasectomy and join the Catholic faith at a later time, you must confess your sin to the priest and if it would not force a considerable financial burden on you and your family you should investigate a vasectomy reversal procedure. If it will place a burden on the family you should petition the Church for a dispensation."
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 8th, 2016 at 7:10:24 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Dalex64
You are again glossing over or omitting the church teaching that those who DO understand, and willfully don't follow the teaching of the church, are doomed to hell whether or not they are Catholic.

From my perspective, yes I am not bound to your moral teachings, and nothing bad will happen to me as a result. From your perspective, I am doomed to purgatory or hell.

To quote the Pope, "Who am I to judge?" You don't seem to grasp the conditions needed for mortal sin. You have to have a grave matter, you have to be free in choosing it, and you have to willful do so knowing it is evil. The only way you would fall into this category as a non-Catholic or even as one is if you were convinced that Birth Control is indeed harmful to women, couples, and society as a whole and then continued to use and promote it. So I would hesitate to say what you think my perspective is or what I am thinking, Evenbob annoyingly does that enough already. From my perspective you are engaging in honest conversation to understand better the Church's teaching against birth control and why many people consider it very harmful. I have no control over where you go from here or where your thinking will take you. You and your conscience alone will judge if you are convinced and need to change your actions to match your thoughts.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
October 8th, 2016 at 7:14:58 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob
I report, you decide.

"If you had a vasectomy and join the Catholic faith at a later time, you must confess your sin to the priest and if it would not force a considerable financial burden on you and your family you should investigate a vasectomy reversal procedure. If it will place a burden on the family you should petition the Church for a dispensation."

Your anonymous source is wrong! For God's sake man I am a Catholic priest why not just ask me? You do not have to reverse a vasectomy to join the Catholic Church. Are you so twisted and desperate to hate the Church that you will believe any swill someone shoves down your throat? This type of behavior is deplorable. Can't we just agree to first run by me your crazy ideas of what you think the Church believes and I can at least tell you if it is correct or not. You and Nareed love your make believe stupid Church so much you refuse to see reality.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
October 8th, 2016 at 7:36:19 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
To quote the Pope, "Who am I to judge?" You don't seem to grasp the conditions needed for mortal sin. You have to have a grave matter, you have to be free in choosing it, and you have to willful do so knowing it is evil. The only way you would fall into this category as a non-Catholic or even as one is if you were convinced that Birth Control is indeed harmful to women, couples, and society as a whole and then continued to use and promote it.

So if you are a Catholic, and don't believe that birth control is evil and/or harmful, and I mean honestly and sincerely believe that, then using it isn't a mortal sin?
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
October 8th, 2016 at 7:41:22 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
In the Catholic view one of the main reasons of getting married would be to have children.
That is sad to me. People should marry for love, with or w/o kids.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
October 8th, 2016 at 7:43:39 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: petroglyph
That is sad to me. People should marry for love, with or w/o kids.

I find it kind of sad that a married couple in love wouldn't want to have children.
October 8th, 2016 at 7:45:40 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Dalex64
So if you are a Catholic, and don't believe that birth control is evil and/or harmful, and I mean honestly and sincerely believe that, then using it isn't a mortal sin?

You can't commit a mortal sin without knowledge that it is evil and willfully doing it anyway. There is of course a lot more that could be said here but yeah I think you get the gist of it.
October 8th, 2016 at 8:36:45 PM permalink
Evenbob
You don't seem to grasp the conditions needed for mortal sin.

You don't grasp that there is no
sin at all, there is no god. Talking
about mortal sin is as big a waste
of time as snipe hunting. You
invent a concept and then invent
intricate rules for it. Pure folly.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 8th, 2016 at 8:38:49 PM permalink
Evenbob
Your anonymous source is wrong!

Who cares, we believe what we choose
to believe. It's all nonsense anyway.