February 12th, 2017 at 1:05:10 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Evenbob
When somebody starts quoting the gobbly
gook of the the NT, I'm done with the
conversation. Why think when you can
just quote what somebody else thinks.

When you say such ridiculous things like this we all know it really means you don't want to think at all. When you call the words of Jesus that have formed and informed human history for thousands of years and that just about everyone admits offers great wisdom and understanding of humanity, gobbly gook one must seriously look at what you are writing and thinking and wording if it is really worth reading.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
February 12th, 2017 at 1:10:55 PM permalink
FrGamble
Could you tell me what the philosophy
of atheism is, I've never heard it before.

Strange. It is the idea that there is no God and it can form a basis for another system or philosophy to be built upon it like communism or relativism. These other ideas that have used atheism as their foundation have been always disastrous.

Quote:
Is not believing in Santa, or Unicorns, a
philosophy, then?

No, I wouldn't call these philosophies. They don't really form a basis for any other thoughts. They are also supported by evidence and logical arguments so they are very different than atheism.

Quote:
He also said almost nobody will get into
heaven. But really, who cares. These
conversations about places that don't
exist and who gets into them are just silly.

So you are calling the question of what happens after death silly? How utterly sad and strange. This question has always been one of the most important questions human beings have ever discussed. It effects everything about how you live your life now.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
February 12th, 2017 at 1:14:07 PM permalink
FrGamble
That religion was invented as an opiate
for the masses? Of course it was, pipe
dreams and denial are much easier to
live with than reality.

What makes you think that reality is that there is nothing after we die and our lives have no ultimate purpose or meaning? What makes you think that reality is we never really receive justice and that nothing we do matters? It seems like a sick nightmare to believe that is reality when you have no proof and need to fight against a natural instinct in yourself to realize that this nightmare of yours is not true. Maybe it is you who can't deal with the reality that your actions matter and there will be justice for the poor and the oppressed after death.
February 12th, 2017 at 1:37:53 PM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
When somebody starts quoting the gobbly
gook of the the NT, I'm done with the
conversation. Why think when you can
just quote what somebody else thinks.
You are very predictable so I totally expected your response. That's why I saved the quote for last because there is no more to be said on this subject. Don't forget, You've been told.
February 12th, 2017 at 2:03:51 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
When you call the words of Jesus

But why should his words have any more
impact on me than anybody elses. He was
just a man, he lived, he died. We have no
idea if what was written is what he really said
anyway, lets not go down that long road
again.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 12th, 2017 at 2:11:32 PM permalink
Evenbob
Strange. It is the idea that there is no God and it can form a basis for another system or philosophy to be built upon it

So what. I can take a rock and fire it
out of a cannon and kill somebody,
does that mean the rock is a bad
thing? Having no belief in gods is
just that, quit trying to make it
something it's not.

Quote:
So you are calling the question of what happens after death silly?

Where people think their ego's go is
pretty silly, yeah. Because you aren't
talking about your body, you mean the
part of you that loves old Western
movies and ham dinner on Sunday.
That thing you constructed to make it
thru daily life, you think that's what's
getting rewarded. So yeah, it's pretty
silly.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 12th, 2017 at 2:14:58 PM permalink
Evenbob
What makes you think that reality is that there is nothing after we die and our lives have no ultimate purpose or meaning? .

It's not 'nothing', and what could the purpose
possibly be. What's the purpose of a tree or
a bird or a cloud. We're the result of evolution,
we have no purpose other than the purpose
we make up. I think that's grand, why don't you.
February 12th, 2017 at 2:15:58 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: pew
there is no more to be said on this subject.

There was nothing to be said to begin
with, don't kid yourself.
February 12th, 2017 at 4:10:56 PM permalink
stinkingliberal
Threads: 17
Strange. It is the idea that there is no God and it can form a basis for another system or philosophy to be built upon it like communism or relativism. These other ideas that have used atheism as their foundation have been always disastrous.

First of all, that is a stupid thing to say and will continue to be stupid no matter how many different ways you think of to say it. Atheism is NOT evil, does NOT "lead to" evil, and is NOT the basis for any kind of philosophy, good or bad. As I've said before, I am an atheist and I greatly resent your implication. For me, atheism is simply a refusal to adopt any religious belief. It DOES NOT "lead to" anything else, any more than my refusal to attend the opera leads to...oh, never mind.

There are, in fact, many officially atheist societies in the world, and those are among the happiest and most prosperous on the planet. Western Europe's citizens report a rate of religious belief at 18% and falling. Their governments and constitutions forbid the establishment of any state religions. They do allow their citizens to worship any deity they want, and there is complete religious freedom. Strange, isn't it, that what their citizens have chosen to do with that freedom is to not be religious? Maybe not so strange, with the oceans of blood spilled in Europe over the centuries because of religion.

You can't point out any "disastrous" official atheist government or society. Soviet communism didn't work, ultimately, but it did function for over 70 years and supported one of the strongest nations on earth. Its eventual failure had nothing to do with its official atheist stance. Hardly a "disaster."
February 12th, 2017 at 8:38:16 PM permalink
buzzardknot
Threads: 7
" You can't point out any "disastrous" official atheist government or society. "

Just killed 2 or 3 million people, stinky. Khmer Rouge rule of Cambodia