Original Sin?

April 1st, 2014 at 9:55:58 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
Okay since you and I seem to keep missing each other with me asking the same questions and you saying the same old stuff, lets just chalk this failure to communicate up to original sin. .

What am I failing to communicate about original
sin? Do you understand my position that to believe
in a savior you first have be convinced there is
something to be saved from. Once there, a savior
is the next logical step. Trying to convince a non
believer that OS is real is like trying to convince
a 6 year old that spinach tastes good. Never gonna
happen..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 1st, 2014 at 11:28:37 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Evenbob
Do you understand my position that to believe in a savior you first have be convinced there is something to be saved from.

well exactly. You do have to accept that central tenant to be a priest.

1 I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people—
2 for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness.
3 This is good, and pleases God our Savior,
4 who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.
5 For there is one God and one mediator between God and mankind, the man Christ Jesus,
6 who gave himself as a ransom for all people.
April 1st, 2014 at 11:52:02 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Pacomartin
1 I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people—
2 for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness.
3 This is good, and pleases God our Savior,
4 who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.
5 For there is one God and one mediator between God and mankind, the man Christ Jesus,
6 who gave himself as a ransom for all people.

Ah, Timothy. Don't get me started..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 2nd, 2014 at 5:44:43 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
You wouldn't believe in something for no good reason would you? Of course not.

I think I can conclusively say that I can finally prove you wrong on a statement you made.

I'm a Leafs fan.

Try and reconcile that with the above quote! =p

;)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
April 2nd, 2014 at 10:29:19 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
You got me there Face!

;)
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
April 2nd, 2014 at 3:14:50 PM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
Quote: Evenbob
What am I failing to communicate about original
sin? Do you understand my position that to believe
in a savior you first have be convinced there is
something to be saved from. Once there, a savior
is the next logical step. Trying to convince a non
believer that OS is real is like trying to convince
a 6 year old that spinach tastes good. Never gonna
happen..

Correct.
April 16th, 2014 at 8:41:56 AM permalink
FrGamble
Here is a great quote from Flannery O'Connor. I think it speaks a little bit to some of the difficulties we have in first having to realize the uncomfortable truth that we need a savior; that we are broken. Especially appropriate as we enter into the Church's three most holy days:

"The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it emotionally. A higher paradox confounds emotion as well as reason and there are long periods in the lives of all of us, and of the saints, when the truth as revealed by faith is hideous, emotionally disturbing, downright repulsive. Witness the dark night of the soul in individual saints. Right now the whole world seems to be going through a dark night of the soul.” - Flannery O'Connor
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
April 16th, 2014 at 8:52:19 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Here is a great quote from Flannery O'Connor. I think it speaks a little bit to some of the difficulties we have in first having to realize the uncomfortable truth that we need a savior; that we are broken. Especially appropriate as we enter into the Church's three most holy days:

"The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it emotionally. A higher paradox confounds emotion as well as reason and there are long periods in the lives of all of us, and of the saints, when the truth as revealed by faith is hideous, emotionally disturbing, downright repulsive. Witness the dark night of the soul in individual saints. Right now the whole world seems to be going through a dark night of the soul.” - Flannery O'Connor

Was this also the reasoning for 'indulgences'
'Indulgences' removes any credibility the church had
April 16th, 2014 at 12:23:51 PM permalink
Evenbob
first having to realize the uncomfortable truth that we need a savior; that we are broken.

A tough sell, padre. These are no longer ignorant times
when the priests could cram their doctrine down the
throats of the unwashed masses. What looks broken to
us outsiders is the Church, they're the ones that need to
be saved. From themselves. The rest of us are doing just
fine.
April 16th, 2014 at 8:27:09 PM permalink
FrGamble
It's one thing to be doing fine it's another to be doing great. You can try to deny it but you were not made to be mediocre. In fact just settling for fine is more proof of original sin. You were made to be awesome and we all need some help to get there.