Original Sin?

April 16th, 2014 at 8:30:24 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: FrGamble
It's one thing to be doing fine it's another to be doing great. You can try to deny it but you were not made to be mediocre. In fact just settling for fine is more proof of original sin. You were made to be awesome and we all need some help to get there.

I see [plenty of mouth breathers on a daily basis who appear to have been made to be mediocre - I believe Aldous Huxley referred to them as "Deltas"
April 16th, 2014 at 9:06:02 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: aceofspades
I see [plenty of mouth breathers on a daily basis who appear to have been made to be mediocre - I believe Aldous Huxley referred to them as "Deltas"

"Expendibles". "Red Shirts". "Bit Players". If we're all exceptional, where does that set the average?

Not that I don't get your point, FrG. Just funnin'.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
April 16th, 2014 at 9:37:39 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
You were made to be awesome and we all need some help to get there.

That certainly wasn't the message of Jesus.
He said love one another, be kind, and
if you can get thru this awful life by obeying
gods laws, you might get into heaven. He
said nothing one being mediocre or awesome.

He never gave any good goat recipes or said
anything about personal grooming, but they
might have thrown those gospels out.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 17th, 2014 at 1:05:17 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: Evenbob
That certainly wasn't the message of Jesus.
He said love one another, be kind, and
if you can get thru this awful life by obeying
gods laws, you might get into heaven. He
said nothing one being mediocre or awesome.

He never gave any good goat recipes or said
anything about personal grooming, but they
might have thrown those gospels out.

EB, you might well enjoy this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Lamb-Gospel-According-Christs-Childhood/dp/0380813815
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
April 17th, 2014 at 8:00:48 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Evenbob, I think you should reread the Gospels. Start with Jesus' Sermon on the Mount in Matthew's Gospel (Mt. 5-7).

"Be perfect as your Heavenly Father is perfect."
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
April 17th, 2014 at 11:49:43 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Evenbob, I think you should reread the Gospels.

No goat recipes. I would remember..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 17th, 2014 at 2:14:34 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Evenbob, I think you should reread the Gospels. Start with Jesus' Sermon on the Mount in Matthew's Gospel (Mt. 5-7).

"Be perfect as your Heavenly Father is perfect."

But if we are born sinful, how can we ever be as perfect as the "Heavenly Father". It seems Jesus was either (a) setting us up to fail or (b) attempting to turn men into gods
April 17th, 2014 at 5:24:03 PM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Quote: Evenbob
No goat recipes. I would remember..

I've had barbecued goat. It was pretty damn good, actually.
April 18th, 2014 at 6:29:20 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
But if we are born sinful, how can we ever be as perfect as the "Heavenly Father". It seems Jesus was either (a) setting us up to fail or (b) attempting to turn men into gods

Remember that Original Sin is not about being born sinful, but rather the teaching that our perfect original state has been marred by sin. We hear the echo of our glorious nature and heavenly destiny by seeing that our sin is a discordant note in us that we attempt to silence.

Jesus is (a) setting us up to fall into His arms and (b) attempting to turn men and women into saints.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
April 18th, 2014 at 8:02:46 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346

Actually Chrsitianity either found or developed a rather ingenious way of turning human nature against itself. Unfortunately this also creates the problem of explaining why an all-loving god would allow evil to exist. More unfortunately the idea of an all-loving god promising paradise proved to be to attractive to dismiss, thus all the double-think around Christianity (beginning with the A is Non-A regarding the nature of Jesus).

But there's hope. See, until rather recently life was largely, to borrow a quote, nasty, brutish and short. it still is in many places, but not in the West. Under such circumstances it makes sense to be told to endure suffering and privation in order to achieve salvation. In the modern Western world, though, where life is pleasant, civilized and long, things have been changing for a rather long while.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER