Original Sin?

September 26th, 2017 at 10:55:02 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Dalex64
There are definitely people who are using science to try to understand consciousness.

And they're making progress, why wouldn't
they. Why are thumpers like Pew and FrG
so terrified of this. Oh yeah, for the same
reason they were terrified of Galileo. For
every advancement in science, it's another
giant step backwards for their voodoo religion.
Superstition and fairy tales melt away in the
face of science.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 26th, 2017 at 12:20:35 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Evenbob
Oops, you've forgotten again about those
pesky Crusades, Inquisitions, and Witch
Hunts, that killed millions.

You should really read the good link that Dalex posted. I thought you would have learned already about these issues and how wrong you are.

The Crusades lasted sporadically and ineffectively for some 200 years. Some of them were attempting to defend and protect the Holy Land for invaders and Muslim armies. Others who were excommunicated took to their own battles acting on their Antisemitism or acting on their lust for loot. One of the crusades led to the first split in Christianity between the East and West. The whole thing was an awful part of the Church's history and over those two centuries 1.7 million people, many of them crusaders themselves died. In just the last century how many millions and millions of people died at the hands of atheistic governments or those governments who persecuted the Church and put themselves as gods?

In regards to the Inquisition again you have much to learn and to shake off the anti-Catholic myths that have seemingly been stuffed down your throat and which you continue to choke on. During the Inquisition period some 3 to 5 thousand people died. The witch burning incidents you speak of are almost insignificant though even one person to die is unjust and sinful.

So please explain to me where you get these millions from? And for the love of God do not use the Holocaust in such a trivial way. There in modern history we can know how many millions died. Show some learning and respect please.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
September 26th, 2017 at 12:45:03 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
What's this about the Pope being heretical?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/sep/25/the-guardian-view-on-heresy-is-the-pope-catholic

If he's infallible, wouldn't a papal "heresy" mean the trio upstairs changed their collective mind?

Quite frankly, I don't really care. But it might be a popcorn moment. Schism or Church Council? The former would be more exciting. IMO, we won't hear about this again for, like, ever.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 26th, 2017 at 12:49:43 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Nareed

If he's infallible, wouldn't a papal "heresy" mean the trio upstairs changed their collective mind?

Quite frankly, I don't really care. But it might be a popcorn moment. Schism or Church Council? The former would be more exciting. IMO, we won't hear about this again for, like, ever.

More like the end of the Church as we know it if he truly taught heresy. We have a very good Pope right now but how crazy would it be if he did something none of the worst Popes ever did, which is to teach heresy. If he did it would mean that infallibility, a guarantee of the Holy Spirit, failed. How do I wrap my mind around something like that? I couldn't. Good thing that because of the promise of the God this will never happen.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
September 26th, 2017 at 12:56:14 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: FrGamble
More like the end of the Church as we know it

Yes, well, that's already happened at least five times. So it's not the end of the world.

Though the last time was awful bloody.

Quote:
We have a very good Pope right now but how crazy would it be if he did something none of the worst Popes ever did, which is to teach heresy. If he did it would mean that infallibility, a guarantee of the Holy Spirit, failed.

What if he claimed it was Revelation?
September 26th, 2017 at 12:58:43 PM permalink
Evenbob
The Crusades lasted sporadically and ineffectively for some 200 years.

A totally Vatican sanctioned war, you
can't weasel out of it.

"The Crusades were a series of religious wars sanctioned by the Latin Church in the medieval period... These were fought for a variety of reasons including the suppression of paganism and heresy, the resolution of conflict among rival Roman Catholic groups, or for political and territorial advantage."

Bringing up later wars does nothing to
change the fact that your buddy, 'lord'
Jesus, was the name behind all the killing.
Why don't we just call him Mr Holocaust,
that's who he was.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 26th, 2017 at 1:07:36 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Nareed

What if he claimed it was Revelation?

it would be the end of the Church and I'd be on the next plane to Vegas.
September 26th, 2017 at 1:12:39 PM permalink
FrGamble
A totally Vatican sanctioned war, you
can't weasel out of it.

And no matter what unsupported resources you claim you can't weasel out of the truth. The Vatican sanctioned the defense of the Holy Land and protection of the holy shrines there. The Pope also quickly excommunicated or spoke against those who used the crusades as an excuse to plunder or kill.

unrepeatable, banal, and wicked comment

You have adequately disgusted me with your ignorance and mean spirit that I need a break from you and your comments as I go through some stuff. Thanks for making this easy on me as I block you for a indefinite period of time. I am praying for you.
September 26th, 2017 at 1:19:15 PM permalink
Nareed
The Vatican sanctioned the defense of the Holy Land and protection of the holy shrines there. The Pope also quickly excommunicated or spoke against those who used the crusades as an excuse to plunder or kill.

1) The "Holy" land was already under the dominion of a Muslim political entity, so any "defense" of it was rather late and pointless.

2) If you send the dog into the hen house, you have no cause for complaint when it acts like a dog and kills your chickens.
September 26th, 2017 at 1:23:17 PM permalink
Evenbob
Thanks for making this easy on me as I block you for a indefinite period of time. I am praying for you.

Oh no, does this mean I won't
be lectured about how you're always
right and I'm always wrong? What
a relief. Pray all you like, it's your
time to waste. Too bad they didn't
teach you in seminary that actually
doing something in the real world
beats prayer every single time it's
tried.

Where did you think arguing with an
atheist would go, you have an empty
gun to fire. You have no ammo, just
myth and empty promises. That's
why you're so desperate to convert
others. If you can convert somebody,
why, all the crap you preach must be
true.