Original Sin?

September 24th, 2017 at 10:46:43 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
Neuroscience is not the study of consciousness and you know it.

Do I? (you'll ignore these links as you always
do when you're wrong, which is a lot}

Can Neuroscience Explain Consciousness?

https://blog.oup.com/2015/11/can-neuroscience-explain-consciousness/

Neuroscience of Consciousness

https://academic.oup.com/nc

Consciousness and Neuroscience

http://www.paradise.caltech.edu/cook/Workshop/Conscious/crick-koch-cc-97.html
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 24th, 2017 at 1:48:08 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Evenbob
Do I? (you'll ignore these links as you always
do when you're wrong, which is a lot}

Can Neuroscience Explain Consciousness?

https://blog.oup.com/2015/11/can-neuroscience-explain-consciousness/

An interesting article that from its beginning acknowledges that neuroscience does not and has not studied consciousness. Hence the term used throughout the interview "Consciousness science" as different than neuroscience. At one point they talk about this "consciousness science" being interdisciplinary including things like sociology and psychology. After reading it I am even more convinced that the study of consciousness is much broader than neuroscience, which is obviously not the study of consciousness.

Quote:
Neuroscience of Consciousness

https://academic.oup.com/nc

Not a useful link.

Quote:

Here is a quote from the very beginning of your linked article:
Quote: Evenbob's link
While most neuroscientists acknowledge that consciousness exists, and that at present it is something of a mystery, most of them do not attempt to study it, mainly for one of two reasons:

(1) They consider it to be a philosophical problem, and so best left to philosophers.

(2) They concede that it is a scientific problem, but think it is premature to study it now.

So in the very beginning of the information you provided it acknowledges that neuroscience does not study consciousness. Of course the paper goes on to argue that it should and the whole thing seemed a little confused to me; but you can't propose one obscure paper that suggests neuroscientists should start trying to study the mystery of consciousness as proof that neuroscience studies consciousness. If you would have read your own links you would know this. And that is why I said neuroscience doesn't study consciousness and you know it. Either that or you ignore your own links when you know you are wrong.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
September 24th, 2017 at 2:19:25 PM permalink
Evenbob
LOL! You god people are really threatened by
neuroscience studying consciousness, pretty
funny. Oh, it's happening and picking up speed,
yet another god myth to bust.

"New theories in neuroscience suggest consciousness is an intrinsic property of everything, just like gravity. That development opens a world of opportunity for collaboration between Buddhists and neuroscientists... represents a significant shift from his Roman Catholic upbringing. When he started studying consciousness — working with Nobel Prize winner Francis Crick — Koch believed that the only explanation for experience would have to invoke God. But, instead of affirming religion, Koch and Crick together established consciousness as a respected branch of neuroscience.."

https://www.lionsroar.com/christof-koch-unites-buddhist-neuroscience-universal-nature-mind/

Neuroscience is even explaining free will,
and no, it has nothing to do with some
god. If only the Church could still burn
heretics at the stake. Ah, the good ol days..

What Neuroscience Says about Free Will

"..new research suggests it might be nothing more than a trick the brain plays on itself"

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/mind-guest-blog/what-neuroscience-says-about-free-will/
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 24th, 2017 at 5:12:06 PM permalink
FrGamble
Wow, you choose the old "when wrong, double down" strategy, very interesting. Sounds a little like our president.

You do know that quoting from a religious journal while saying how frightened us religious folks are is contradictory don't you? Also the removal of free will as mere chemistry is a position already thought about first by philosophers for many years. It is devastating to think about. I believe that you do have some control over the crazy things you write and I would hate to think that there is no real responsibility you have for what you say.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
September 24th, 2017 at 6:00:32 PM permalink
Evenbob
You do know that quoting from a religious journal

Buddhism isn't a god religion, so it's fine.
They ask and try to find the answers to
serious questions, like what is consciousness.
They don't just blame everything on a god
so they don't have to think about it any
longer, like Xtions do.
September 24th, 2017 at 9:40:55 PM permalink
FrGamble
What happened to your denial of the supernatural?

Anyway Christians don't behave that way and you know it. You continue to embarrass yourself with these statements you know aren't true but wish they were; so you repeat them over and over to yourself with boldness and brashness in the hopes you can convince yourself you are right, but you know you are wrong.
September 24th, 2017 at 11:22:09 PM permalink
Evenbob
Anyway Christians don't behave that way.

Sure they do. Christians are always against
anything that threatens their core belief
system, they always have been. Thankfully
you can no longer burn the people at the
stake that you feel threatened by, all you
can do is demean them and ridicule them
and hope they go away. Charming religion
you have there..
September 25th, 2017 at 1:22:20 PM permalink
FrGamble
I'm so sorry that this has been your experience of Christians, but if you have even a rudimentary understanding of the message of Jesus Christ you would know this is demeaning or ridiculing behavior you experienced is not truly Christian.

I do imagine that anytime someone's core beliefs are challenged we are against it. You demonstrate this when I challenge your inconsistent belief in reincarnation or your atheism. I get the sense from the tone of your responses that you would be much quicker than I to light a pyre.
September 25th, 2017 at 3:27:40 PM permalink
Evenbob
I'm so sorry that this has been your experience of Christians, but if you have even a rudimentary understanding of the message of Jesus Christ .

It's too bad so many of your fellow
Xtions in the past didn't have this
understanding. Millions of lives could
have been spared. Now you have to
pay for their stupidity.
September 25th, 2017 at 4:07:27 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
An interesting article that from its beginning acknowledges that neuroscience does not and has not studied consciousness.

I'm sorry: What?

Here: http://theness.com/neurologicablog/?s=consciousness

Dr. Novella is a neurologist, not a neuroscientist, and the focus of his blog is not neuroscience, but there is plenty here.

What's not or not known does not alter the fact it's been,and being, studied.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER