Original Sin?

January 15th, 2019 at 7:01:33 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Yet as soon as you saw the raw steak you realized you were wrong. The raw steak will always give it away, you can only fool yourself for so long, eventually you will find out you were wrong when you take a big bite into bloody disgusting meat. Why parents teach Christianity to their kids is because they know what it does and that it works, that it is true! Someday you are going to realize that those beliefs you were taught and still hold that are so filled with hate, misinformation, myths, anti-scientific thought, etc. are like raw meat - disgusting and not good for you.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
January 16th, 2019 at 8:08:30 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: FrGamble
Yet as soon as you saw the raw steak you realized you were wrong. The raw steak will always give it away, you can only fool yourself for so long, eventually you will find out you were wrong when you take a big bite into bloody disgusting meat. Why parents teach Christianity to their kids is because they know what it does and that it works, that it is true! Someday you are going to realize that those beliefs you were taught and still hold that are so filled with hate, misinformation, myths, anti-scientific thought, etc. are like raw meat - disgusting and not good for you.

And when will you realize that "God" is merely a raw steak?
January 16th, 2019 at 8:22:29 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: aceofspades

I've already tasted and it is awesome! When Will you and others realize the nothing burger that is atheism?
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
January 16th, 2019 at 8:30:10 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
I've already tasted and it is awesome! When Will you and others realize the nothing burger that is atheism?

Off topi: the phrase "nothing burger" makes me cringe
January 16th, 2019 at 10:31:38 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: aceofspades

Absolutely never. That was my point
in the post I made. Humans are so
susceptible to suggestion that when
a thing has been pounded into your
head since the age of 5, younger
than that, probably, you are incapable
of seeing anything other than what
you were taught.

Xtions see Jesus everywhere in their
lives, because that's what they were
told. Atheists see him nowhere, not
because we were taught it, but because
we weren't. I could give a myriad of
examples of how this works in other
areas, but why bother. Xtions are
stuck with it, too bad, I feel sorry
for them, but it's not my problem.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 16th, 2019 at 10:45:17 AM permalink
FrGamble
Bob, you are simply wrong and you know it. Think just for moment of how many ideas and beliefs have changed from when you were a child. Using your good example of cooking - you might think you smell it but when it comes down to actually eating and being satisfied or not it is either real or it is not. You seem to think that whatever we are taught when we are young is infallible and unquestioned. Nothing could be further from the truth. We question what we learn as children all the time, it is called teenage years. I know for myself and lots of other Christians there was even a time when I rejected the faith.

The problem with you and many other atheists I have met is that you are not willing to come to grips with the illogical consequences both in philosophy and morality that your beliefs lead to. You also don't really pursue truth. You only pursue truth so far as you are comfortable with it and only as long as it supports your belief system that there is no God. This is plainly evidenced in your posts here and your adamant refusal to learn anything and to run away when anything you say is proved wrong or makes you uncomfortable. I feel bad for you and unlike you I unfortunately believe it is my problem and I need to help you.
January 16th, 2019 at 10:47:37 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Evenbob
Absolutely never. That was my point
in the post I made. Humans are so
susceptible to suggestion that when
a thing has been pounded into your
head since the age of 5, younger
than that, probably, you are incapable
of seeing anything other than what
you were taught.

Xtions see Jesus everywhere in their
lives, because that's what they were
told. Atheists see him nowhere, not
because we were taught it, but because
we weren't. I could give a myriad of
examples of how this works in other
areas, but why bother. Xtions are
stuck with it, too bad, I feel sorry
for them, but it's not my problem.
I remember reading years ago how young Muslims were taught to leap through fire. Think how they must work at convincing them about being a martyr, to grow up and strap on a vest. And then the parents act proud of them for blowing themselves up.

That was about the time the "Mario brothers" games came out. I could see the influence to teach our kids how to operate drones even then.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
January 16th, 2019 at 10:48:46 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
That is a great image. There was obviously something different about Jesus that drew people to Him. In Mt. 11:19 Jesus talks about how John the Baptist was so different than Him. He mentions that while John was considered a stoic kind of cold guy and people complained about that, now Jesus is the life of the party and brings joy to people and He is called a drunkard and a glutton. Jesus is always going to dinners and parties with people and He preaches not that the Kingdom of God will come, but that it is here right now! In fact in Mk. 2:19, Jesus says how could we not party and rejoice. Why would anyone fast and not have fun at a wedding with the bridegroom present? Later in Jn. 15:11 Jesus preaches that His joy is in us and that He came to bring our joy to fulfillment. Yep, there is something special about Jesus, His person and His message, so much so that it literally changed the world. You don't do that without the enthusiasm, joy, and uplifting nature that this picture captures and surely Jesus had.

Thanks Padre. That would make for a great sermon. I think a lot of people have a mental image of a god as being the great ogre in the sky. To be honest, there are plenty of passages in the old testament to substantiate such a point of view. In my more religious days I always struggled with the nature of god, between that of the old and new testaments. I think that is the essence of the divide between the conservative and liberal branches of Christianity.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 16th, 2019 at 10:50:39 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: petroglyph
I remember reading years ago how young Muslims were taught to leap through fire. Think how they must work at convincing them about being a martyr, to grow up and strap on a vest. And then the parents act proud of them for blowing themselves up.

Doesn't the bible say somewhere that if you have faith you can handle venomous snakes and not get bit? Don't some believers actually do that, as a show of their faith?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 16th, 2019 at 11:06:21 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Wizard
Doesn't the bible say somewhere that if you have faith you can handle venomous snakes and not get bit? Don't some believers actually do that, as a show of their faith?
Yeah, the real believers handle snakes.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW