Original Sin?

August 19th, 2019 at 8:23:04 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Quote: Fleastiff
...the universe may indeed be beyond the scope of our comprehension. It is similar to the probabilities expressed in DNA matching where the testimony is often "a number larger than anyone in this room can understand".

...I see little use in trying to find the beginning of the universe. What would ever be an acceptable proof?

The quest for knowledge is hardwired into every human. Just as morality, fear of animals with large fangs, and appreciation of beauty are hard wired into all of us.

Genes are made up of strands of DNA, which is made of nucleotides. Certain Genes are encoded with instructions to make proteins.

The fewest number of genes necessary to sustain life is 473.

From an infinite number of possible combinations of 21 amino acids, nucleotides somehow formed and perfectly encoded 195 of those genes, to produce the precise 195 functional proteins necessary to create an organism capable of utilizing nutrients, oxygen, and water to synthesize protein and reproduce itself.

What is the probability of that occurring?

If the organism did not have all of these capabilities functioning at the same time, it would quickly degrade, and everything would be lost.

There will never be an acceptable proof. Only clues.
August 19th, 2019 at 9:16:18 AM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Instead of evenbob your handle should be hindubob. You may be the most dogmatically religious human being on this forum.
August 19th, 2019 at 9:48:56 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: pew
Instead of evenbob your handle should be hindubob. You may be the most dogmatically religious human being on this forum.

I would be jealous of Evenbob's faith if it wasn't the type of blind faith I detest.

By the way Tanko's posts are awesome!
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
August 19th, 2019 at 10:45:44 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Tanko

What is the probability of that occurring?

You look at the end results of millions
of years of mutations and evolution
and want to attach something more
to it. It's your time to waste..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 19th, 2019 at 11:19:09 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Evenbob
You look at the end results of millions
of years of mutations and evolution
and want to attach something more
to it. It's your time to waste..
I've been watching a NOVA series, "The Planets" which has great photos by the Voyager spacecraft.

Oldest rocks now are over 4.25 billion earth years old. https://www.livescience.com/2896-oldest-rocks-earth.html

They weren't always rock, and weren't even in this location in this galaxy. Wandered around forever and ever. Right along with all the dark matter that science hasn't known about that long. Dark energy/dark matter, didn't get a mention in the "book".

I wonder. Xtians have observatory's scattered in the desert, with an eye upward. Do they have a playbook to pullout, if they see ET before Jesus in the telescope?

Or will somebody in old Jurusalem dust off a copy of maybe "The book of Steve" which states, " and on the 8th day god spoke to Steve about his relatives in other galaxy's that he also created, but neglected to mention it?

Founded 10th millennium BCE https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBD_enUS839US839&ei=jOdaXe8YyPS0Bf6qg-AP&q=gobekli+tepe&oq=gob&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0i67l3j0j0i131j0j0i131j0l3.20465.23005..26492...1.2..3.128.1257.6j6......0....1..gws-wiz.....6..0i71j0i308i154j0i131i67.Ly3i038fCLU

The bible story has some pretty big gaps in it.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
August 24th, 2019 at 7:21:55 PM permalink
FrGamble
Here is an interesting article about some very strong arguments against Darwin's theory of evolution. It is totally secular and seems to suggest that, like in cosmology, as science learns more it points to God more directly, which makes total sense.

Yale Science Professor leaves Darwinism
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
August 28th, 2019 at 2:16:50 PM permalink
Evenbob
I wonder how many Xtions know that
not once in the NT does Jesus claim
he was going to die for our sins.
That's a theory thought up by Paul,
which has no back up credibility
in the NT. You can't use John, that
just a parroting of Paul's crackpot
ideas written 60 years after Jesus
died and 30 years after Paul died.

No place in the the first 3 gospels
does it say Jesus died for the sins
of anybody. It's an idea that Paul
figured out, using faulty reasoning,
then proclaimed it to be true. The
entire Xtion religion is, just like
the L. Ron Hubbard religion of
Scientology, the product of one
ego driven loon who invented the
whole thing.

Incredible.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 28th, 2019 at 6:23:54 PM permalink
FrGamble
What's incredible is Evenbob's complete ignorance of the Bible and Christianity.
August 29th, 2019 at 2:25:08 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Evenbob

No place in the the first 3 gospels
does it say Jesus died for the sins
of anybody. It's an idea that Paul
figured out, using faulty reasoning,
then proclaimed it to be true.

This stuff is fascinating to me.
Paul made up the modern
Xtion religion, like he was
writing a sci/fi novel. It's a
total myth made up out of
thin air. Which to a reasonable
person, is exactly what it sounds
like.

Paul seems to know nothing of the gospels, just as they seem to know nothing of him. Paul threatens, abuses and blusters, appointing himself as an additional apostle. He has no qualms about lying if he thinks that he is doing so for the greater glory of God: "For if the truth of God hath more abounded through my lie unto his glory; why yet am I also judged a sinner?" (Romans 3:7). He also freely admits that he is prepared to become all things to all men in order to achieve his aims (1 Corinthians 9:22-23). His writings are threaded through with repeated assurances that he is telling the truth and attempts to deny implied accusations that he is not. He is known to have been ridiculed by other Christian groups. Some theologians have speculated that Paul was insane. Friedrich Nietzsche (1844-1900) described him as a morbid crank. Whether or not he was, he is by his own admission totally unreliable as a witness.
Paul seems to have known relatively little about the historical Jesus. He does not mention Jesus place of birth, his parentage, or even when and where he lived. He does not refer to any of Jesus miracles; neither does he mention any of his parables. There is no mention of Jesus trial, nor even of the place of the crucifixion. This is probably not too surprising as Paul was writing before the gospels had been set down. He was operating in a vacuum, creating a new religion as his inspiration led him. He was a self-appointed apostle.
August 29th, 2019 at 7:09:08 PM permalink
FrGamble
Who doesn't know that Paul's writings came before the Gospels? Bob never gives his quote's a source but it is painfully obvious that this one comes from someone who does not know the basics. Paul's experience was of the Resurrected Lord and immediately after his conversion he spent time with the Apostles and through his evangelization missions was rightly called the Apostle to the Gentiles. Since Bob sadly will not engage me directly anymore I need to keep pointing out that he is way off base and turning to places that know nothing of the Scriptures or Christianity.