Spanish Word of the Day

June 11th, 2017 at 8:26:02 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Palabra: Enfrascar
Fecha: 11 de Junio, 2017

Today's SWD means to immerse oneself into or to bottle. The usage I found it in was the former.

A related word is frasco, which means bottle, as a noun.

The question for the advanced readers is to explain whether the usage to be immersed in something is related to a bottle. Perhaps it is like being in a bottle that you can't focus on anything outside of the bottle.

Ejemplo time

Fue demasiado enfrascado en una conversación que no aviso de el teremoto. = I was so immersed in conversation that I didn't feel the earthquake.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
June 11th, 2017 at 10:30:23 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
I'm quite sure it is por. At the end of my Spanish lessons I sometimes incorrectly thanked my tutor with para and she always corrected me on that.

They taught us these acronyms.

Para: PRODDS (Purpose , Recipient , Opinion, Destination, Deadline, Standard )
Por: DREEMS (Duration , Reason , Emotion , Exchange , Mode/ Movement , Substitution )

I guess I was thinking of it as being a "recipient" of gift, but I guess it is more of a "reason" for the thank you.

So the mnemonic doesn't even help all of the time.
June 12th, 2017 at 6:47:34 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: FrGamble

Well, I don't wear a bullet-proof vest or drive an armored car, nor do I stockpile weapons and ammunition.

It depends a lot on where you are and who you are. Mex City is relatively unaffected.

The whole thing, though, can be attributed squarely to the USA, and it's pointless "war" on drugs.

When you hear about the harm that legalizing drugs could do, look around Mexico, Colombia, poor neighborhoods rife with gangs, and ask yourself whether that theoretical harm is so much worse than the current, actual, real harm of keeping drugs illegal.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
June 12th, 2017 at 6:57:46 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Nareed
When you hear about the harm that legalizing drugs could do, look around Mexico, Colombia, poor neighborhoods rife with gangs, and ask yourself whether that theoretical harm is so much worse than the current, actual, real harm of keeping drugs illegal.

I once stated one of my reasons for decriminalizing drugs was to put an end to the source of money the drug cartels have. You replied that it wouldn't help because they would just find other sources of crime.
June 12th, 2017 at 7:05:45 AM permalink
Nareed
I once stated one of my reasons for decriminalizing drugs was to put an end to the source of money the drug cartels have. You replied that it wouldn't help because they would just find other sources of crime.

How do you remember that and not the spelling of tintorería?

What I said is legalizing drugs wouldn't stop organized crime, as they'd find other things to do. Prohibition gave the mafia a boost. The end of prohibition ended some widespread violence, especially that between the mob and law enforcement, but it did not end organized crime.
June 12th, 2017 at 7:35:42 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
The whole thing, though, can be attributed squarely to the USA, and it's pointless "war" on drugs.
It is not pointless, it supports zillions of cops, prosecutors, judges, probation officers, prison officers, contractors, etc. and the fears that are bandied about create a voting block. Without such price supports everyone would still be doing drugs but no one would be making any money at it.

Quote:
Dead Mexicans, Dead Columbians, etc. are not relevant to American politics.
June 12th, 2017 at 7:58:53 AM permalink
Nareed
Fue demasiado enfrascado en una conversación que no aviso de el teremoto. = I was so immersed in conversation that I didn't feel the earthquake.

He/she/it was so immersed in a conversation that did not give notice of the earthquake.

It's really an odd word with little real use. When used, it means something like "to find one's self enmeshed in deep trouble."

Frasco means jar. Botella means bottle.
June 12th, 2017 at 9:16:07 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
A related word is frasco, which means bottle, as a noun.

What does this idiom mean?
¡toma del frasco (Carrasco)!

June 12th, 2017 at 9:55:11 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
What does this idiom mean?
¡toma del frasco (Carrasco)!

It seems South American.

No idea what it means.
June 12th, 2017 at 12:12:32 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
What I said is legalizing drugs wouldn't stop organized crime, as they'd find other things to do. Prohibition gave the mafia a boost. The end of prohibition ended some widespread violence, especially that between the mob and law enforcement, but it did not end organized crime.

I never claimed legalizing any vice would end organized crime that used to thrive off of it. However, over time, it will be less as long as there are other opportunities in the mainstream economy. In choose a career in crime, everybody weighs the pros and cons against a legitimate career. If crime becomes less attractive, some will choose legitimate work.