Climate Change -- conspiracy theory or is it time we all drive a Prius?

February 21st, 2021 at 4:27:18 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I couldn't help but notice the media made sure that nobody thinks the cold that hit Texas does anything to disprove but actually instead proves global warming theories, though for the most part they are careful to say "climate change". But one woman on TV this morning, NBC I think, managed to come out with "... and all this from just a one degree increase Celsius!"

Now, I have heard the theory that global warming can cause climate extremes of all kinds, and I don't discount that completely. I do think it is time to shut up about it during record cold snaps, but nothing doing it seems. What I am waiting for is to hear someone say "this proves it and all this from just one degree increase Celsius!" when reporting on areas that have actually experienced a drop in sea level, which has happened ... even if unusual and not any trend.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
February 21st, 2021 at 4:53:13 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: odiousgambit
I couldn't help but notice the media made sure that nobody thinks the cold that hit Texas does anything to disprove but actually instead proves global warming theories, though for the most part they are careful to say "climate change". But one woman on TV this morning, NBC I think, managed to come out with "... and all this from just a one degree increase Celsius!"

Now, I have heard the theory that global warming can cause climate extremes of all kinds, and I don't discount that completely. I do think it is time to shut up about it during record cold snaps, but nothing doing it seems. What I am waiting for is to hear someone say "this proves it and all this from just one degree increase Celsius!" when reporting on areas that have actually experienced a drop in sea level, which has happened ... even if unusual and not any trend.

I haven't seen anything that says a Texas resident must quarantine after returning from Mexico. I do believe a negative Covid test is required.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
February 22nd, 2021 at 3:03:41 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

Someone has to ask these idiots if unusual weather never happened before we thought the world was warming. They think that weird cold and warm snaps are only because of something called global warming. They sound so silly. Yet believers believe that if we would just buy EVs then nothing bad would ever happen.
The President is a fink.
February 22nd, 2021 at 6:57:25 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2

While I do agree that a case can be made that global warming has caused more extreme events and that they are happening more frequently, I believe it is dishonest to attribute any single weather event to climate change.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
February 22nd, 2021 at 7:30:35 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: JimRockford
While I do agree that a case can be made that global warming has caused more extreme events and that they are happening more frequently, I believe it is dishonest to attribute any single weather event to climate change.

Honestly I do not get why they say warming "will cause more extreme events" in the first place. Why do we assume the current temp is the "right" one as we have been warmer and colder over 4.5 billion years.
The President is a fink.
February 22nd, 2021 at 9:53:39 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: JimRockford

???????
All weather is due to the climate
The climate is changing
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 22nd, 2021 at 1:49:26 PM permalink
JimRockford
Quote: terapined
???????
All weather is due to the climate
The climate is changing

But many things can influence weather conditions on shorter timescales other than climate. You can't say that the temperature on my back porch reached 3 degrees last week because of human induced climate change even if you accept that climate change will cause more frequent and more extreme cold spells. It's kind of like gambling statistics. If I add an extra ace to a standard deck in increases the probability that I will get a blackjack, but if I get a blackjack on my first hand, I can't say it is because of the extra ace.
February 22nd, 2021 at 6:06:21 PM permalink
JimRockford
Quote: AZDuffman
Honestly I do not get why they say warming "will cause more extreme events" in the first place. Why do we assume the current temp is the "right" one as we have been warmer and colder over 4.5 billion years.

The earth has but we humans have not. The human species is about 200,000 years old. Humans have experienced global temperatures similar to today about 120,000 years ago. Obviously we survived, but there were only about 20,000, scattered around Africa doing the tribal hunter gatherer thing. Civilization has never seen it this warm. Our temp is rising about 10 times faster than it did back then and we haven't peaked yet.

To me the "right" temp is one that civilization can adapt to and still maintain a modern standard of living. Emerging from past ice ages, temperatures rose 2 degrees C in about 2000 years. We have risen more than 2 deg C in 140 years.
February 22nd, 2021 at 6:07:36 PM permalink
JimRockford
Double
February 22nd, 2021 at 9:21:17 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
People get hung up on "global warming" meaning that temperatures can only get warmer, and any cold temperatures are "evidence" that global warming is fake.
That is why people have been trying to call it "climate change" now.
However, it is completely possible and consistent for global average temperature to rise, while at the same time extreme high AND low temperatures happen in various places.
It is all part of a strawman argument that "global warming means cold weather can't happen"
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan