In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

October 24th, 2021 at 9:55:12 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Also, to think Orwell's "1984" was just about moving something out of the public square is to seriously misunderstand it.

AFAIC, people who want to see those confederate statues can visit them all the time if they want to. And dust them off occasionally. And worship them, or whatever.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 24th, 2021 at 10:19:49 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: rxwine
Also, to think Orwell's "1984" was just about moving something out of the public square is to seriously misunderstand it.

AFAIC, people who want to see those confederate statues can visit them all the time if they want to. And dust them off occasionally. And worship them, or whatever.

I love history
Historical locations are high on my list to visit
Little Bighorn battlefield was fascinating
I learn so much
Statues are not on my list to visit
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 24th, 2021 at 10:20:35 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: AZDuffman
Why do liberals hate Trump?

Because he always gets proven right when he calls them out.

Taliban liberals tearing down statues of Jefferson just like he said they would.

Like when he called them out for, "Stealing the election?"
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
October 24th, 2021 at 10:21:45 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
You need to wake up instead of being woke. Removing statues is right out of the Taliban and 1984. It is all about rewriting history.

I'll give you that one, except for Civil War Southern general statues. Replace them all with statues of Sherman and Grant, then you're just telling history.

Unless they want to celebrate being losers in their only war as a country, of course...because they got demoralized.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
October 24th, 2021 at 10:23:35 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: Evenbob
Jefferson owned slaves. Libby's want to remove any reminder that slavery ever existed. Yet they are the first ones to climb on the bandwagon of having reparations for blacks because of slavery. What they do never makes any sense. If I was black I would want more statues of white people that owned slaves so we would never forget our history.

Excellent point on that one.
October 24th, 2021 at 10:30:37 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Perhaps you should educate yourself. Removing statues is about rewriting history. Just removing what one group does not like. Real "1984" and how they just changed what they wanted to change. See, simplistic people do not understand this. They say things like, "duh, so we are going to forget about Hitler if we do not have a statue of him?!"

Smart people see it is about erasing people from history. Changing how they are thought of. Removing what some people do not like.

Why do you think they are pushing to have the statues removed in the first place?

No, its about writing history honestly and not celebrating people who tried to split the nation.

There is zero reason to celebrate the confederacy.

The only appropriate places for confederate monuments is museums and confederate cemeteries. We can't have them in public parks, streets, etc...

To be clear I do not support people who vandalize and tear them down. I do support the proper process for removal to be approved. Many went up after the Civil War was long over and were meant as a way to express support for treason.

Its also telling that regular City Workers who have to remove Confederate monuments have to wear have coverings and bullet proof vests for this job in some states because they know there are a lot of crazy pro-confederate people who will attack them or stalk/harass them in the future (despite the fact they are literally just the worker assigned to take it down and had no say in the process).
October 24th, 2021 at 10:58:30 AM permalink
terapined
Quote: Mission146
Excellent point on that one.

Its BS
reparations going nowhere
It will never ever happen because the majority of libs dont support it
I doubt anybody on this board supports reparations
Thats telling
Its the right wing scared of a boogie man that does not exist
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 24th, 2021 at 12:14:19 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: terapined
Its BS
reparations going nowhere
It will never ever happen because the majority of libs dont support it
I doubt anybody on this board supports reparations
Thats telling
Its the right wing scared of a boogie man that does not exist

Cool. Get the Far Left to shut their mouths about it and you won’t add straw to the right’s strawman.
October 24th, 2021 at 12:25:16 PM permalink
terapined
Cool. Get the Far Left to shut their mouths about it and you won’t add straw to the right’s strawman.

I ignore the far left like I ignore Alex Jones
If you want to listen to the far left and Alex Jones, go for it.
I'm all in on free speech
but
Doesn't mean I am going to listen to clowns
October 24th, 2021 at 12:25:48 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

I have been hearing lefties call for slavery reparations for 35 years now. It ebbs and flows but do not think they do not support it.
The President is a fink.