In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

November 24th, 2021 at 5:09:34 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
'Looter' is now a racist term. 'Organized Retail Theft' is the current approved term. 'Revolt of the Oppressed' is also accepted.

Dem states changed laws making any theft below $950 a misdemeanor. Dem D.A.'s refuse to prosecute.

Consumers pay more. Stores go out of business, and people lose jobs. More winning.

Best Buy Crashes As Margins Slide Due To "Organized Retail Theft"

Dozens of Black Youths Storm Wellspring Pharmacy

Dozens of looters rush California Nordstrom store
November 24th, 2021 at 5:21:24 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Tanko

Did you actually read this ZeroHedge article written by Tyler Durden?

Possibly one of the dumbest things I’ve ever read.

Quote:
Hilariously, Best Buy had advanced 38% this year through Monday, attaining record levels and outpacing the 28% gain of an S&P 500 index of consumer discretionary companies. Because while BBY channel checkers were right and traffic was indeed off the charts; alas most of that foot was courtesy of thieves.

Most of Best Buy’s foot traffic is from “thieves.”

Fact check: LOLOLOLOL FALSE
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
November 24th, 2021 at 5:46:58 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Quote: ams288

“We are seeing more and more particularly organized retail crime,” Chief Executive Officer Corie Barry said on a conference call with analysts. “You can see that pressure in our financials, and more importantly, frankly, you can see that pressure with our associates. It’s traumatizing.”
November 24th, 2021 at 5:49:49 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: ams288

Did you actually read this ZeroHedge article written by Tyler Durden?

Possibly one of the dumbest things I’ve ever read.

Fact check: LOLOLOLOL FALSE

It's a stupid quote, but according to the Best Buy CEO, the substance of it is basically true:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/11/23/best-buy-ceo-says-rising-theft-is-hitting-profits-could-hurt-employee-retention.html

A looter is a looter---white, black, Hispanic, turquoise, doesn't matter. The way I see it, you're going to have to start gunning people down. Either that, or just not have physical shopping in certain areas or high-occurrence stores.

Alternatively, I guess you could start having all of your prices on items be $950.01 on the sticker with a discount for members of whatever necessary percent applied at the register. I think that would technically make it prosecutable.

You're still not going to get them all if we're talking about organized looting efforts like this, though, but maybe it being prosecutable would be a slight deterrent.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
November 24th, 2021 at 5:53:00 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
It's times like this I become a whole lot more Second Amendment friendly, I'll tell you that. If people are just going to walk in and brazenly steal TV's, or whatever, the employees should have carte blanche to put one in the backs of their heads as they're on the way out the door.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
November 24th, 2021 at 5:57:40 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
“We are seeing more and more particularly organized retail crime,” Chief Executive Officer Corie Barry said on a conference call with analysts. “You can see that pressure in our financials, and more importantly, frankly, you can see that pressure with our associates. It’s traumatizing.”

Simple question that this quote does nothing to answer: Is most of Best Buy’s foot traffic from “thieves?”
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
November 24th, 2021 at 6:17:49 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Mission146

Alternatively, I guess you could start having all of your prices on items be $950.01 on the sticker with a discount for members of whatever necessary percent applied at the register. I think that would technically make it prosecutable.

A clever idea to be sure, but I do not think it would hold up the first court challenge.

Bottom line is people in CA are fine with retail and property crime as a whole because they keep voting for pols who say it is "mean" to lock criminals up. The same pols will say it is "mean" and "racist" to close stores in high-theft areas. I can see some retailers just leaving CA totally if the state starts to pass redline-laws making them open stores for gangs to loot, er, commit organized retail theft.
The President is a fink.
November 24th, 2021 at 6:27:19 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: AZDuffman
A clever idea to be sure, but I do not think it would hold up the first court challenge.

Bottom line is people in CA are fine with retail and property crime as a whole because they keep voting for pols who say it is "mean" to lock criminals up. The same pols will say it is "mean" and "racist" to close stores in high-theft areas. I can see some retailers just leaving CA totally if the state starts to pass redline-laws making them open stores for gangs to loot, er, commit organized retail theft.

I would; who wouldn't? They're probably putting breaking the lease they signed on the property (usually VERY long-term) and the financial consequences for breaking that on one side of the scale against all of the loss of product they suffer at the hands of shoplifters. You also still having paying customers, I would assume, so perhaps the stores are still profitable overall.

Honestly, the only thing that irritates me is that the actions of one state (in this regard) have consequences on the others. Again, these big stores are just going to look at, "Loss," as a single line item on the top level of things, so what's going to happen is you raise prices across the board. As a result, the customers in states/areas that are not permitting open looting pay higher prices to compensate for the states that are permitting that.

I'm probably just going to go as local as I possibly can, for my part, and maybe start not making any purchases from businesses who do any retail business in the State of California. I know, that's going to eliminate pretty much every major retail chain, except some grocery stores.
November 24th, 2021 at 6:33:17 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
I think another option might be just to get all physical merchandise out of there and, instead, have gift cards that you sell which are basically a code to have the physical merchandise delivered to you...or in-store pickup. That's really no different from online ordering, though...I guess it would be useful for what few people don't have Internet access as there could be a phone number you call to give the code and arrange delivery.
November 24th, 2021 at 6:33:56 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Nancy Pelosi is considering leaving California for better tax treatment. She has been looking (or might have already bought) in Jupiter, Florida.

I guess she figures that, at 81, the seas won't rise that much before she heads on to her next life...

Can't blame her for leaving what Liberals have created...