terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: missedhervee
Depp vs. Heard

The jury spoke.

The jury ain't "woke."

WGAS?

I barely followed it
Rich people dissing each other and now want more money from each other to be richer
Kind of absurd
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
June 1st, 2022 at 5:22:43 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: missedhervee
Depp vs. Heard

The jury spoke.

The jury ain't "woke."

WGAS?

The only verdict that would have pleased me would have been for both of them to be shot into the sun.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
June 1st, 2022 at 5:27:21 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: terapined
I barely followed it
Rich people dissing each other and now want more money from each other to be richer
Kind of absurd

So rich white people you don't care about because of their insulated lives as rich celebrities, I agree. But somehow you think BTS is in a different situation, I disagree. I am sorry your Mom has experienced hate she should be able to go to the grocery store without experiencing hate.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
June 1st, 2022 at 5:40:37 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
The thing that I found most shocking about the Depp/Heard trial is the amount of popularity. I found out the other day, the Courthouse in VA was basically turned into an event (and a massive one at that).

People start lining up -each day-before sunrise to get wristbands (not an exaggeration) so that they can get in line so they can sit in the gallery, and people stayed in town for weeks just to follow it (some people even hired line sitters). Why? Its being livestreamed if you really need to see it live? I can't imagine people going through such lengths to line up to get into Court like they are waiting for PS5.... Craziness.... I means its a civil trial where two rich actors are suing each other over stuff they said, its not the OJ case of 2022..... If only the public could be so involved in cases that will actually impact case law for decades to come....

I am not a Johnny Depp fan (I did see the first three Pirates movies as a kid years ago, and they were fine I guess, never saw 4, and never knew there was a 5 or 6), and before this I have honestly not heard of Amber Heard (never saw Aquaman, never head of her articles), so I had no personal preference, but even if it was two actors that I loved, I can't imagine being that engaged in a civil action....
June 1st, 2022 at 5:42:31 PM permalink
terapined
Quote: kenarman
So rich white people you don't care about because of their insulated lives as rich celebrities, I agree. But somehow you think BTS is in a different situation, I disagree. I am sorry your Mom has experienced hate she should be able to go to the grocery store without experiencing hate.

Of course not
It's not rich people in general
It's these 2 particular rich people that I can't stand and are in my book a-holes. Come on. You are reasonable. Can't we find common ground here
Thanks about my Mom. That's some common ground we can agree on :-)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
June 1st, 2022 at 5:51:56 PM permalink
terapined
Quote: Gandler
The thing that I found most shocking about the Depp/Heard trial is the amount of popularity. I found out the other day, the Courthouse in VA was basically turned into an event (and a massive one at that).

People start lining up -each day-before sunrise to get wristbands (not an exaggeration) so that they can get in line so they can sit in the gallery, and people stayed in town for weeks just to follow it (some people even hired line sitters). Why? Its being livestreamed if you really need to see it live? I can't imagine people going through such lengths to line up to get into Court like they are waiting for PS5.... Craziness.... I means its a civil trial where two rich actors are suing each other over stuff they said, its not the OJ case of 2022..... If only the public could be so involved in cases that will actually impact case law for decades to come....

I am not a Johnny Depp fan (I did see the first three Pirates movies as a kid years ago, and they were fine I guess, never saw 4, and never knew there was a 5 or 6), and before this I have honestly not heard of Amber Heard (never saw Aquaman, never head of her articles), so I had no personal preference, but even if it was two actors that I loved, I can't imagine being that engaged in a civil action....

He's in a lot of weird movies
I've seen quite a few but just liked
Ninth Gate, Donnie Brasco and Edward Scissorhands
Ninth gate was a killer story, Brasco had a great Pacino performance and Sissorhands is Tim Burton so to me Depp just happened to be in them. They were not great because of Depp
I don't care for the Pirates movies. Saw the 1st one and that's plenty for me.
I thought the Dillenger movie sucked
Not really a huge Depp fan
I still don't know who Amber Heard is except that she is in this trial
June 1st, 2022 at 6:04:36 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Hardly followed the trial, but I've heard enough about Depp over the years that I already knew he wasn't exactly a choir boy so wasn't surprised at anything. He's lived the life of a hollywood bad boy. But more in the sense of a Charlie Sheen than a Robert Blake.

And i just didn't find Heard credible almost as soon as I heard her first testimony.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 1st, 2022 at 6:10:15 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: terapined
He's in a lot of weird movies
I've seen quite a few but just liked
Ninth Gate, Donnie Brasco and Edward Scissorhands
Ninth gate was a killer story, Brasco had a great Pacino performance and Sissorhands is Tim Burton so to me Depp just happened to be in them. They were not great because of Depp
I don't care for the Pirates movies. Saw the 1st one and that's plenty for me.
I thought the Dillenger movie sucked
Not really a huge Depp fan
I still don't know who Amber Heard is except that she is in this trial

Out of all of those movies (other than Pirates as mentioned), I saw Ninth Gate now that I think about it (and googled it and see the cover). I don't remember much, I remember vaguely liking it (I was a Freshman in college, -not when it came out when I saw it on DVD- with friends who wanted to watch it and somebody brought it), but honestly could not tell you anything about the Story.

When I say "I am not a Depp fan", I don't hate him (or his acting). I can see why some people love him, and why some people find him attractive. I just mean that I am not really attached to or intrigued by any major work of his, just not for me. But, even if he was an actor that I loved, I would have the same opinion about the obsession with the trial, its like a whole other level of obsession, maybe even beyond the OJ trial (but at least that was criminal and involved serious issues, not some magazine drama).
June 2nd, 2022 at 3:27:27 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
'Afghan Taliban launch campaign to eradicate poppy crop'

'In 2021, 177,000 hectares (438,000 acres) were planted with poppies, yielding enough opium to produce up to 650 tons of heroin, according to estimates by the U.N.’s Office on Drugs and Crime.'

'Today, Afghanistan’s opium output is greater than all other opium-producing countries combined.'

The Taliban are better friends than our drug supplying neighbors.

Columbia and Mexico provide 90% of the US heroin supply.
June 2nd, 2022 at 3:35:39 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Fentanyl will cover the shortages
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]