In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

July 23rd, 2017 at 3:17:44 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Pacomartin

In 1900, when statistics were reliably kept in the USA a a nonwhite infant could expect to live about 33 years. So that figure for native Americans more than three centuries ago is not particularly shocking.

Without proper nutrition and health car, the death rate for the under age five is shockingly high.
I contemplated while walking out there, that a 15 year old was middle aged. And a wise elder of the tribe could be 25 or so. Married at 12, mother at 13 and old woman at 22.

That was tough. Even though those people were young, they had acquired a lot of living knowledge by that time.

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x873213cc5a5587f3%3A0xd11c93c1b40a875c!2m22!2m2!1i80!2i80!3m1!2i20!16m16!1b1!2m2!1m1!1e1!2m2!1m1!1e3!2m2!1m1!1e5!2m2!1m1!1e4!2m2!1m1!1e6!3m1!7e115!4shttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.gatewaytosedona.com%2Ftours-attractions-things-to-do%2Ftravels-with-ernie%2Fnorthern-arizona%2F106-wupatki-national-monument-and-sunset-crater-near-sedona-arizona!5swupatki%20indian%20ruins%20az%20-%20Google%20Search&imagekey=!1e3!2s-ioXc-oDihF8%2FWJaleLr4agI%2FAAAAAAACmXM%2Fe6Jhrke_tmk8KXidO3AjdvczxXeC0mFRgCLIB&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjV4baXtqDVAhVyb5oKHYgTCbEQoioIjAEwDg

In some of the old ruins the hand prints from whoever installed the original mortar is in it still. It was moving, for me to place my hand in the old hand prints.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
July 23rd, 2017 at 3:18:42 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: AZDuffman
And half the population still falls for it.
There are times I wish I could.
July 23rd, 2017 at 3:25:51 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: AZDuffman
What amazed be was the bead culture. Some plains Indians loved beads and they had meaning. Making them was not easy for the Indians, who eventually started trading with whites.
I have seen several artifact collections. Beads are far less common to find than arrow heads or bowls.

I'm on the Kenai now. South of here at Anchor Point and down to Homer there are still two Russian villages that can trace back to Baranoff. I have met some people searching the area who found copper trade beads. I found that interesting that the natives up here also wanted beads and traded for ivory among other things. The copper beads are pretty neat.

https://www.pinterest.com/jacqms/eskimo-inuit-sunglasses/
July 23rd, 2017 at 3:59:43 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: petroglyph
As far as them being migratory, they were following the food and the season.

Most of the time they moved to get
away from the stink they created from
poor sanitation. The first thing you
would notice, long before you arrived,
if the wind was right, was the god awful
stench coming from the human waste
and the pits where they threw animal
carcasses. They had to move every so
often because they were horrible
polluters.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 23rd, 2017 at 4:20:35 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Don't think you can generalize unless it's a very small population of people still isolated.. For instance.

Quote:
Despite a lack of soap, elite Powhatan Indians washed their hands before eating, according to Jamestown colonists and other European observers, whose writings don't comment on the practices of common people. At least one late seventeenth century European traveler remarked on Virginia Indians who never washed their clothes, a practice that probably originated when they dressed in tough deerskin but which became less seemly after switching to European-style garb. Regardless, by modern standards, Virginia Indians were far more sanitary than the Europeans who arrived in 1607.

https://www.encyclopediavirginia.org/Hygiene_During_the_Pre-Colonial_Era_Personal
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 23rd, 2017 at 5:08:41 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: Evenbob
Most of the time they moved to get
away from the stink they created from
poor sanitation. The first thing you
would notice, long before you arrived,
if the wind was right, was the god awful
stench coming from the human waste
and the pits where they threw animal
carcasses. They had to move every so
often because they were horrible
polluters.
People smell. That's all there is to it. To this day there are villages up north here without running water and in the winter everyone uses the "honeybucket" system of sewage disposal. Luckily it freezes. Don't be downwind in the spring. Many people up here have noticed that the natives that when they are eating a mainstay of fish or are scraping bear hides, they smell sweet?

Everyone that camps has a fecal disposal plan. Two of the worst odors are indeed human waste [particularly of meat eaters] and decomposition of animals. The indians were experts on smells and wind direction. In some villages on the Columbia, bodies were buried upright, don't know why? Some tribes burned corpses, was that for sanitation or did rotting corpses create myths?

Yeah, there has to be a plan to get rid of the stink. I'm not buying that is what caused the migrations though. I think there were times of plenty when there was more meat wasted than at lean times. Plenty of times there wasn't so much extra food that much of the protein ended up in the waste pile? Most people camped near running water, I think some of the waste flowed down stream, some buried. I'm sure there were rules. Most people don't crap where they eat.

Funny how different groups of people smell uniquely, They tend to eat similarly and have similar bathing habits. As you have mentioned about the garlic eaters on the bus. White people have their smells as well. Stories abound of soldiers in the NV jungle not wanting to smell like soap. I can smell a cigarette under the right conditions a long ways away. Often times guys in the woods can smell game nearby before any other senses pick up the trail.

Some villages stay in the same place for a long time without sewers. Some follow the herd. The hunter gatherers probably smelled better. Here in the desert a turd will dry overnight to where it is hardly offensive. A ton of them is a different story.
July 23rd, 2017 at 5:27:14 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Long range jungle sniper units did not chew gum, brush their teeth or smoke. Peppermint in a jungle would alert the viet cong from several miles away. Even upwind some things can be detected.
July 26th, 2017 at 6:53:37 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29

Seems like an overreaction to me, to be honest...
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
July 27th, 2017 at 10:49:14 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: Evenbob
Uncivilized, disjointed nomads, for the most
part. If you get into what the real Indians
were like, instead of the sanitized TV and
movie versions, it's a different picture. They
were mostly filthy, had horrible sanitation,
that's why they moved so much, had no
education for anybody, they were mostly
just rag tag groups who were constantly
at war with each other. They were ripe for
a downfall.

They lived as our ancestors lived for over 100,000 years. It's how we are genetically suited to live. They weren't more noble or morally superior. They were simply modern humans in their natural state. They were us.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
July 27th, 2017 at 2:16:10 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote:
ANCHORAGE, Alaska — A Utah man killed his wife aboard an Alaska cruise and told an acquaintance who later walked into the blood-splattered cabin that he did it because she would not stop laughing at him, the FBI said in documents released Thursday.

Kenneth Manzanares was found in the couple's room on the Princess Cruises ship Tuesday night with blood on his hands and clothes and blood spread throughout the cabin, according to a criminal complaint by FBI Special Agent Michael L. Watson

I read a book once detailing a years worth of murders in Houston Tx, and it was interesting how many of the victims were said to be taunting their murderers in some manner. Telling the person that shot them they couldn't pull the trigger and things like that.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/fbi-man-says-he-killed-wife-on-cruise-over-her-laughing/ar-AAoTJGA?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?