rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Evenbob
I know an older lady who wants to
retire to Mexico. There are a million
Americans living there and many say
stealing from them is the number one
cottage industry. .

One thing in favor of knowing the language of the country, is you have some advantages over being scammed. People will talk about scamming you in front of your face if you don't know what is being said. Not just Mexico, but true anywhere.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 25th, 2017 at 12:13:57 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Nareed
I've been killed three times this year...

And you're a Mexican, imagine how it is
for tourists.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 25th, 2017 at 12:16:22 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: AZDuffman
Who would go to Cancun just to stay in their hotel? The town is the thing.

When I go to a beach resort I only go to the town once. If it is place I have been before I never go near town. I might take a tour to some sight out of town like ancient ruins or natural formations. Cities are all the same after a while. The macho guys guys that go into a city night club and end up getting drunk and fighting just like at home are the ones that get into trouble.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
August 25th, 2017 at 12:30:18 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: kenarman
When I go to a beach resort I only go to the town once. If it is place I have been before I never go near town. I might take a tour to some sight out of town like ancient ruins or natural formations. Cities are all the same after a while. The macho guys guys that go into a city night club and end up getting drunk and fighting just like at home are the ones that get into trouble.

I would not call Cancun a "beach resort." When I was there the hotel was nice but nothing you would not get in Miami. See the sights and hit the town, all kinds of places from mild to wild, for various ages. No need to get into trouble, just enjoy various entertainment. Well, before the cartels infested it.
The President is a fink.
August 25th, 2017 at 12:46:17 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: SOOPOO

Doubtful. I am glad I've already done my Cancun/Mayan Riviera trip already. Chichin itza side trip was really nice. I'll add Mexico to Morocco and Egypt as countries I enjoyed going to but wouldn't go back again due to security issues.

Do you really think there is much risk in the tourists hotels themselves SOOPOO? The incident quoted by the warning for Cancun was a drug gang shoot out downtown. By that criteria you should avoid Vancouver, BC and suburbs as well. Low by Detroit standards but Vancouver averages several gang related shooting a week often they are drive by shootings with bullets spraying the neighbourhood or a restaurant.

I think that for just the beach and hotel aspect, yes, the risk in Mexico is substantially higher than a similar resort in the USA. But nothing compared to the risk of going into a bad neighborhood here in Buffalo. If I had never been to the Cancun area, I think the recent spate of violence/bad alcohol/suspicious drowning would deter me from going there, or at least give me pause. My next two beach/ nice weather type trips are going to be Key West, then Marco island.
August 25th, 2017 at 12:50:52 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I think the state department focuses not just on crime levels but also upon cooperation levels of local authorities.
August 25th, 2017 at 12:54:46 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
One thousand years before Pythagorus the Babelonians had a working clay tablet with trigonometry functions more accurate than we have today. Based on Base 60.
August 25th, 2017 at 1:48:52 PM permalink
kenarman
I would not call Cancun a "beach resort." When I was there the hotel was nice but nothing you would not get in Miami. See the sights and hit the town, all kinds of places from mild to wild, for various ages. No need to get into trouble, just enjoy various entertainment. Well, before the cartels infested it.

I would agree that the city of Cancun is not a resort but the Zona Hotelera is certainly a resort area by any definition. It is partially an age thing now AZD, mine not yours. I am simply not as adventuresome now as I was when I was younger. Not of confident of my own abilities now. Can't fight can't run. When I was younger I would seek out the areas that the quide books advised staying away from they were always interesting but I never got drunk or looked for drugs in those areas. Of course at my age I never do those things now.
August 25th, 2017 at 2:10:07 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
I would agree that the city of Cancun is not a resort but the Zona Hotelera is certainly a resort area by any definition. It is partially an age thing now AZD, mine not yours. I am simply not as adventuresome now as I was when I was younger. Not of confident of my own abilities now. Can't fight can't run. When I was younger I would seek out the areas that the quide books advised staying away from they were always interesting but I never got drunk or looked for drugs in those areas. Of course at my age I never do those things now.

How old do you think I am?

I am not talking about the real wild side, just that you want to hit say Senior Frogs you gotta get out of the hotels. We hit some all-you-can-drink place that was no more wild than the same thing here. Amazing I made it back that night, bus dumped me out before we left the tourist area. First night there, was not even totally sure where the hotel was. Cab driver pissed I paid in USD but I told him I had no pesos and he was getting easily twice the fare so have a nice night. Last time I ever did anything that nuts in a resort, I was too old for that silliness even then.
The President is a fink.
August 25th, 2017 at 2:16:19 PM permalink
kenarman
How old do you think I am?

I think you are likely at least 20 years younger than me. If you are past 50 then I am wrong.