In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

February 15th, 2018 at 11:30:44 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Hillary Clinton Hitting the Campaign Trail for Democrats

Yeah, she's not running in 2020.. lol
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 15th, 2018 at 11:36:00 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Evenbob
Hillary Clinton Hitting the Campaign Trail for Democrats

Yeah, she's not running in 2020.. lol

When EB posts all these random headlines without actually providing a link to the article, for some reason all I can think of is this:

“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
February 15th, 2018 at 12:13:37 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: ams288
When EB posts all these random headlines without actually providing a link to the article, for some reason all I can think of is this:

Why not what really happened?
The President is a fink.
February 15th, 2018 at 12:18:15 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Well, for lack of a story to read, I think what that means is that she will be campaining FOR democrats, to promote other democrats, rather than campaining for the nomination for herself.

That's what the articles I did find suggested. No idea what bob saw.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
February 15th, 2018 at 12:19:04 PM permalink
YeahBaby
Threads: 5
The moderators are somewhat complicit here. Letting them do it over and over without a peep.
OMG look who talking!
Vegas mods let u do whatever you want! u got suspended 4 times and only got 3 days each time!!
u shoudl have got suspended for 30 days on the 4th time not just 3 days!
February 15th, 2018 at 12:28:35 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Turns out the school shooter yesterday was a MAGA-hat wearing white nationalist who hates Jews and women. WHO COULD HAVE SEEN THIS COMING?!?!

https://www.thedailybeast.com/nikolas-cruz-trained-with-florida-white-supremacist-group-leader-says?ref=home

I am calling for an immediate ban on all MAGA-hat wearing, sexually repressed white men till we can figure out "what the hell is going on."
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
February 15th, 2018 at 1:17:29 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61

The moderators are somewhat complicit here. Letting them do it over and over without a peep.

I was hoping I have given the air of being approachable. Not that I mind being called out (it IS preferable to silence), but I do prefer the open hand to the pointed finger.

As everyone should know by now, I am quite lenient. In fact, I'm kinda surprised Wiz hasn't throttled me yet, because I know I let a lot of stuff slide, so who knows how much others have seen or felt. But it's been brought up, so let's talk.

Regarding Nareed, I might have banned her once for language, but I'm relatively certain it's been no more than that. I know I pleaded with the forum about language once before as well, where Nareed was also in violation. No ban came from that. Since then, I've seen her drop the F bomb at least 3 times I know of, 5 times I "think" of, and who knows how many besides that. And the F bomb is the one which has specific mention in the rules. Would you have me ban her (or anyone) immediately and without thought any time it comes up? Wiz would, I think. And maybe I will or should lose the Green over it. But I tend to monitor and see what happens instead. So far, whether by our low population or the constitution of its members, the violations have been here and gone with little to no residual problems. Because of that, I prefer to allow things to carry on, as opposed to inserting myself and tossing folks. It seems, from my POV, to be the better option, and so long as things aren't degrading, I do kind of prefer that way.

As far as AZD goes... I'll tell ya, I'm on your side. I find it to be of no effort at all to add an "s" or an "r" to a pronoun, and if it makes her happy, then I'm happy to do it. But I will admit reservation when it comes to forcing ideas. There is a thread of the population, usually religious, who do not condone or recognize anything but the binary, hetero lifestyle. I don't agree with them, and further I don't even understand it, but I do feel as though it would be an abuse of power to force them to adhere to something in which they wholly oppose. In fewer words, I would feel like forcing them to adhere to use of pronoun would be no different than forcing the binary, hetero outlook upon you.

So, I unfortunately cannot with good conscience ding him for that. I will be and have for several years been happy as a clam to refer to Nareed as she wishes to be referred to, but I'm afraid if there's some serious, deep seated hurt coming as the result of this, that I am too ignorant and out of that particular loop to understand it. I apologize to both you and Nareed if you find that unacceptable, but it is the best I can manage with my limited experience.

I''m open to discussion if anyone will have it.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
February 15th, 2018 at 1:22:19 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Guns kill or injure about 50K people a year in the US. 125 to 150 million Americans own guns. That is 1 injury/death for every 3000 gun owners.

Cars ill or injure about 2.4 million a year in the US. There are 222 million licensed drivers in the US. That is 1 injury/death for every 92.5 drivers.

Obviously cars 30 times as dangerous as guns. Why don't we ban cars?

I am being facetious but I think that stat says something about how polarized this issue is and as terrible as the shooting up of a school full of kids is it still a small number in the scale of things. I am too lazy to try and research it right now but I bet that more kids die from preventable childhood diseases than guns whose parents refused to get them vaccinated.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
February 15th, 2018 at 1:33:00 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Face

So regarding AZ, I thinks its pretty sad she cant be polite in addressing Nareed. Same for EB, she seems to have a problem with Nareed.
Lol
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 15th, 2018 at 1:43:46 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Face

What discussion, you let one do
it, you let all do it. Lets see what
the Wiz says. I've been using the
F word since 1966, got no plans
of stopping.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.