Gay Marriage

August 28th, 2014 at 4:48:20 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: terapined
That is your definition of marriage.
That is not my definition of marriage.

My definition is one man and one woman. Gay marriage supporters said it was wrong to discriminate based on someone's lifestyle choice. Thus if someone chooses to have multiple wives we must let them or else we are discriminating against them.

Quote:
I'm not a judge but I am thrilled they came to this conclusion.

I wasn't thrilled that we overturned marriage based on court rulings, but we can't discriminate just because someone wants multiple wives.
The President is a fink.
August 28th, 2014 at 6:03:37 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
AZ and B tag teaming little old me.
Should I climb out of the square ring?
Anybody coming to my rescue??
Hmm

Ok,
different tack
total honesty.
1st off not gay. It's like that famous Seinfeld episode "I am not gay, not that there is anything wrong with it" :-)
anyway
I work in a large office. Quite a few gays in the office. These are great people. They work hard, are smart, have a great sense of humor ect. Just good people to work with and be around. They don't flaunt it, its just known and its just a part of who they are. When I look their way, I don't see a gay person, I see a good friend/co worker. Now of course they want to marry their partner, they want to be happy. This will make them happier. Now if they are allowed to marry their partner, how does that effect me? My life still goes on not changing one iota. Is anybody getting hurt, of course not, everybody elses life in the office that is not gay goes on as it always had. The only real change in my life is that some of the people I work with will be happier. Who am I do deny a coworker some happiness? I wish everybody that I work with happiness in their personal lives. Its simply an issue about happiness. Look at it strictly from a business point of view, happy workers are more productive workers. Its economically sound :-)

I'm not interested in the polygamy/gay debate. If I'm a hypocrite , so be it, I could care less. I just want to see my friends happy, that's all.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
August 28th, 2014 at 6:22:03 PM permalink
Beethoven
Threads: 18
I work in a large office. Quite a few gays in the office. These are great people. They work hard, are smart, have a great sense of humor ect. Just good people to work with and be around. They don't flaunt it, its just known and its just a part of who they are. When I look their way, I don't see a gay person, I see a good friend/co worker. Now of course they want to marry their partner, they want to be happy. This will make them happier. Now if they are allowed to marry their partner, how does that effect me? My life still goes on not changing one iota. Is anybody getting hurt, of course not, everybody elses life in the office that is not gay goes on as it always had. The only real change in my life is that some of the people I work with will be happier. Who am I do deny a coworker some happiness? I wish everybody that I work with happiness in their personal lives. Its simply an issue about happiness. Look at it strictly from a business point of view, happy workers are more productive workers. Its economically sound :-)
I have a strangely similar story:

I also work in a large office. Quite a few polygamists in the office. These are great people. They work hard, are smart, have a great sense of humor ect. Just good people to work with and be around. They don't flaunt it, its just known and its just a part of who they are. When I look their way, I don't see a polygamist, I see a good friend/co worker. Now of course they want to marry their partners, they want to be happy. This will make them happier. Now if they are allowed to marry their partners, how does that effect me? My life still goes on not changing one iota. Is anybody getting hurt, of course not, everybody elses life in the office that is not a polygamist goes on as it always had. The only real change in my life is that some of the people I work with will be happier. Who am I do deny a coworker some happiness? I wish everybody that I work with happiness in their personal lives. Its simply an issue about happiness. Look at it strictly from a business point of view, happy workers are more productive workers. Its economically sound :-)
Boron Boron Boron rhymes with moron, moron, moron
August 28th, 2014 at 6:27:30 PM permalink
terapined
sigh
ok, you win.
blocked now
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
August 28th, 2014 at 6:34:57 PM permalink
Beethoven
Threads: 18
sigh
ok, you win.
blocked now
What wrong with that post? All I did was take your "happiness" argument and apply it to a different group of people. But it seems that you only like your argument in certain cases, which isn't very consistent.

Once more, the libertarians are the only group who has presented a sound, logical argument. Although I strongly disagree with them, they argue that consenting adults should be able to marry whomever they want. Too bad you aren't consistent like they are.
Boron Boron Boron rhymes with moron, moron, moron
August 29th, 2014 at 2:38:23 AM permalink
AZDuffman
sigh
ok, you win.
blocked now

All he is trying to show is how if you use this argument for gay marriage then you cannot logically be against polygamy. The same holds true for our legal system. While you may or may not care if someone calls you a hypocrite, the courts cannot care, they must use what is legal. Since the natural law of marriage = 1 male + 1 female has been nullified thanks to the gay marriage movement we are in a brave new world. Marriage is effectively meaningless and is now just some legal protection for one or a few people who want to enter into it.

IMHO there are going to be more and more polygamy cases and more and more anti-polygamy laws will be overturned. It will happen faster as the precedent has been set that marriage is not what we said it was forever. It is going to be a hoot to watch.
The President is a fink.
August 29th, 2014 at 4:18:39 AM permalink
terapined
Quote: AZDuffman
IMHO there are going to be more and more polygamy cases and more and more anti-polygamy laws will be overturned. It will happen faster as the precedent has been set that marriage is not what we said it was forever. It is going to be a hoot to watch.

You may be right but I don't see it coming.
Federal judge after federal judge has been overturning the gay marriage ban.
Yet, no cases regarding Polygamy are receiving the judgements that the gay marriage movement have gotten.

If this makes me a hypocrite , so be it.
Its like you guys cant accept that, I have to be all in or against, that's ridiculous.
This reminds me of the Penn State board I got involved in.
I wanted the Joe Paterno statue to come down.
Students were giving me the same argument, all in or against.
Their argument was it was hypocritical to remove the statue but leave his name on the library..
Their argument , if the name doesn't come off the library, the statue cant be removed.
Ridiculous, I told them its common sense, the statue will come down and the name will remain on the library.
In the end, the statue came down and the name remained on the library.
Hypocritical, who cares.
August 29th, 2014 at 5:49:50 AM permalink
chickenman
Threads: 0

That is not my definition of marriage.
Exactly our position on gay marriage and you libs stuffed it up our asses down our throats and now you can't even be consistent about it.
He's everywhere, he's everywhere...!
August 29th, 2014 at 8:32:43 AM permalink
AZDuffman
You may be right but I don't see it coming.
Federal judge after federal judge has been overturning the gay marriage ban.
Yet, no cases regarding Polygamy are receiving the judgements that the gay marriage movement have gotten.

If this makes me a hypocrite , so be it.
Its like you guys cant accept that, I have to be all in or against, that's ridiculous.

You are missing the point. We are saying that gay marriage was pushed by a bunch of emotional but few if any logical arguments in its favor. The same emotional arguments can be made for polygamy. Polygamy is in fact a better argument than gay marriage as polygamy has the virtue of being biologically correct and gay marriage does not.

So if you believed all the arguments for gay marriage you cannot possibly be against polygamy if you really believed the arguments made in favor of the former. If you come out against it, the reply will be similar to what B9 posted above. The reasoning is as traditional marriage supporters said all along, if you allow gay marriage then you logically must allow whatever form of "marriage" is requested.
The President is a fink.
August 29th, 2014 at 8:42:38 AM permalink
terapined
Quote: AZDuffman
You are missing the point. We are saying that gay marriage was pushed by a bunch of emotional but few if any logical arguments in its favor. The same emotional arguments can be made for polygamy. Polygamy is in fact a better argument than gay marriage as polygamy has the virtue of being biologically correct and gay marriage does not.

So if you believed all the arguments for gay marriage you cannot possibly be against polygamy if you really believed the arguments made in favor of the former. If you come out against it, the reply will be similar to what B9 posted above. The reasoning is as traditional marriage supporters said all along, if you allow gay marriage then you logically must allow whatever form of "marriage" is requested.

Ilogical decisions are made all the time.
I admit I am a hypocrite, I support gay marraige and not polygamy.
I can be a hypocrite and be illogical.
I am human. If my thinking is imperfect, so be it.
Its like you people cannot deal with a illogical hypocrite . I think the majority of the country has the same hypocritical and ilogical stance on these issues.
That is simply the way it is. I understand you dont want me to be ilogical and a hypocrit but thats not dealing with reality.
By the way, Joe Paterno supporter? Were you upset with the ilogical hypocritical decision to take down the statue and leave the name on the library?