Men over40, never married, no kids

Page 3 of 18<123456>Last »
September 23rd, 2014 at 10:05:00 PM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
Quote: aceofspades
Is this directed at me...?
You're worried you're going to be an old maid aren't you?
September 24th, 2014 at 2:22:57 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
The men in my family tend to marry later in life; that certainly included me. I definitely was describing myself as a "confirmed bachelor", but got married at 43, same age as one of my grandfathers.

The average age of marriage has always been higher than popularly imagined ??

Quote: article
In the past fifty years, the average age of grooms has decreased from 30.9 in 1960 to a low of 26.2 in 1977 and has increased to a high of 34.1 years in 2010.

http://www.thejournal.ie/marriage-rates-age-788094-Feb2013/
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
September 24th, 2014 at 2:44:59 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
So, I am 42 and have friends and family (mind you, I am a divorce attorney) continually question me as to why I have never been married or had kids…
I have also read countless articles about women stating that a man over 40, who has never been married or had kids, raises a red flag

Full disclosure, I have not even gone on a date in about a year…additionally, it seems when I do flirt with a woman the end result is her (a) thinking I am joking with her or (b) her eventually telling me she has a boyfriend

Either I am hideously ugly or have the personality of wet paint (without the buzz from breathing it in LOL)

A great many in our society have not been married. Financial reasons, social reasons, sexual reasons.
Many people no longer date and many women have red flags for a variety of issues. School girls learn to go for the popular guys because they judge value by seeing other girls dating a guy. They really have no value standards of their own. An absurd but quite common situation and guy's learn that to become a "wolf" they need to gain the reputation of a "wolf". Later in life, women are wary of a guy whose never been snagged before: what did other women see that they are missing: Gaydar, Cruelty, What?

Many men view children as a bunch of germs in pajamas but make the mistake of telling this to women too soon. Many women join various One is Enough and None Is Enough organizations but it takes them time to come round to rebelling against societal pressure.

The problem is that in the US we confuse sex life with social life. Women used to want to know a man's occupation and living circumstances (how big a home, in what neighborhood) but "Successful Dentist with Great View of San Francisco Bay" is of less interest. Nowadays when a woman thinks about what a man has, she is liable to be reaching for it to find out or at the very least openly discussing it with him.
September 24th, 2014 at 2:47:48 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: petroglyph
Have you noticed that you become less and less welcome around your married friends?

Single friends are not welcome for very long around men who are married to insecure women. [most are]

My hypothesis is they are afraid you will point something out to the unaware husband that might jeopardize the deal?

Wait until figure out that you can't be controlled with sex. It is after all a control issue......Daggers.

Things have worked out well for me but I'm always up for a good mysogyny thread

That was more true 15 years ago than it is now. More and more of the guys are getting divorced so it doesn't matter.

I'd never make it married because honestly I like being alone too much. People, women more than men, cannot accept that. I have been asked what I do when I am at home. I mean, it is as if since you do not have someone in your life you cannot survive. If you say you have given up caring if you meet someone then they really start to wonder.
The President is a fink.
September 24th, 2014 at 4:56:55 AM permalink
chickenman
Threads: 0
Somehow I think the Speed Count is at least partly to blame...
He's everywhere, he's everywhere...!
September 24th, 2014 at 6:01:01 AM permalink
Beethoven
Threads: 18
So both Ace and AZ are single, never been married? Very smart move by those guys. I'm also single, but it was an ugly road to get there...lol

You guys shouldn't feel too bad about never being married. Women usually pick losers anyway. Here's a perfect example:

Woman dies shielding daughter from boyfriend with gun

How the hell this woman ended up with this loser is beyond me. *facepalm*

Boron Boron Boron rhymes with moron, moron, moron
September 24th, 2014 at 7:29:45 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: Beethoven
So both Ace and AZ are single, never been married? Very smart move by those guys. I'm also single, but it was an ugly road to get there...lol

You guys shouldn't feel too bad about never being married. Women usually pick losers anyway. Here's a perfect example:

Woman dies shielding daughter from boyfriend with gun

How the hell this woman ended up with this loser is beyond me. *facepalm*

Women love "bad boys" because they all believe they can "change them" and make them their pet projects
September 24th, 2014 at 8:15:09 AM permalink
Beethoven
Threads: 18
Women love "bad boys" because they all believe they can "change them" and make them their pet projects
+100
Boron Boron Boron rhymes with moron, moron, moron
September 24th, 2014 at 1:11:02 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Up till maybe the 70's, being a bachelor was
an accepted state for a man. It was respected
and nobody thought anything about it. Now
if you're past 35 and never been married,
something must be amiss with you. Are you
Gay, what's your problem. In fact, to say you
were a woman hater was not thought to be
inappropriate, you hear it all the time in the
old movies. Many men didn't trust women,
and a marriage was much harder to get out of
than it is now.

I remember as late as 1959 there was a movie
called Operation Petticoat where an navy guy
in his 40's said he hated women and would never
marry one. Along comes a woman who acts like
a man and he's smitten. You never hear men
say that anywhere now, but it's as true as ever.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 24th, 2014 at 1:31:44 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
In my first quarter (they were quarters there not semesters) in college I lived in a dormitory and there was guy across the hall who lived like a recluse (compared to the rest of us) He had homemade speakers and he blasted metal music for as long as he could 'till their was complaining. He was slightly bigger than a dwarf and hairy.

We all laughed a month later when he put an ad in the school paper. "Wanted girlfriend." There was probably something else, but not much.

A week later he had a girlfriend. No, not much too look at. But they holed up together in that pit. They were equally repulsive and stayed reclusive. Two quarters later they moved out.

Who knows, maybe they're still together.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
Page 3 of 18<123456>Last »