Streaming Recommendations (Netflix, HBO, Amazon, etc.)

March 25th, 2021 at 10:11:23 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: Evenbob
It has a huge following, so I thought there must be
something to it. Buffy the Vampire Slayer was on at
the same time this show was on and I really enjoyed
it. It was clever and funny and tongue in cheek.
So far Gilmore Girls is just banal and dumb. It's mostly
the mother character, I want to strangle her just to get
her to shut self-centered stupid mouth.

I don't recall having either a favorable or unfavorable opinion of her. I was neutral pretty much to the entire show. I do think that it's odd that part of your critique has to do with the weight of some of the characters...the show depicts a small town in rural Connecticut, so to me, it makes sense that they aren't all a bunch of supermodels.

I think Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Angel was better, in my opinion, but I mainly just liked how much darker and more serious it sometimes was) is a little bit different because of the supernatural aspects and the action. In other words, I tend to think that Buffy could have a more diverse appeal than something like Gilmore Girls which is just about a mother and a daughter who are leading a totally unremarkable life aside from the mother's parents being loaded and Rory being extremely intelligent.

Also, the dialogue of Gilmore Girls sounded like the same person taking two different sides of a position, but otherwise having a conversation with themselves. Buffy had characters with very clearly distinguishable personalities and a more diverse cast (in terms of personality types), in general. It'd be tough to watch Buffy and not have at least one character you kind of like---even if you don't like the show. Aside from perhaps Lorelai's mother, I'd say you either like all of the characters, dislike all of the characters or are neutral towards all of the characters.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
March 25th, 2021 at 10:14:51 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Just thought of it:

Frasier, but with a mother-daughter and dialogue that's not as good. Also, Lorelai's parents aren't as funny or relatable as Martin Crane whatsoever.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
March 25th, 2021 at 10:12:56 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: ams288
Michel would like a word with you, Paco.

I have never actually seen the show, but I read that there were no LBTQ characters on a website. So you caught me.

The jokes, though jarring, are made more sinister still by their total lack of rebuttal or refutation: as more and more fans have pointed out recently, not a single gay character appears in the 153-episode Gilmore Girls canon.
March 26th, 2021 at 9:57:41 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Mission146
I don't recall having either a favorable or unfavorable opinion of her.

Glib sarcasm is a huge part of the show, from all the
characters, especially the mother. In real life sarcastic
people are not well tolerated, you can only take so
much from them. To have an entire cast of a show
be sarcastic drains my energy. I gave it one last
chance and skipped ahead to the middle of season
2, it really had not changed that much. They toned
down the Mother character a little, but she was still
sickeningly obnoxious. I can understand why Gay people
might like this, they love sarcasm and use it all the time.
Sarcasm is a way of saying I'm superior to you and
I'm making fun of you but you're so dumb you probably
don't even know it. Met lots of Gay people or like this.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 26th, 2021 at 11:31:58 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Glib sarcasm is a huge part of the show, from all the
characters, especially the mother. In real life sarcastic
people are not well tolerated, you can only take so
much from them. To have an entire cast of a show
be sarcastic drains my energy. I gave it one last
chance and skipped ahead to the middle of season
2, it really had not changed that much. They toned
down the Mother character a little, but she was still
sickeningly obnoxious. I can understand why Gay people
might like this, they love sarcasm and use it all the time.
Sarcasm is a way of saying I'm superior to you and
I'm making fun of you but you're so dumb you probably
don't even know it. Met lots of Gay people or like this.

Translation: I am too embarrassed to admit I love this show and am currently halfway through season 4.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
March 26th, 2021 at 11:51:42 AM permalink
Evenbob
Translation: I am too embarrassed to admit I love this show and am currently halfway through season 4.

Look, I'm answering a post by AMS. I actually loathe the main character on this show so much I'm fantasizing about her meeting Bill Cosby in 2001 and her being one of his victims. It makes me happy to think that. And you know I'm right about Gay people and sarcasm. It even translates onto the screen. Name one Gay character on any TV show in the last 30 years there wasn't one sarcastic remark after another. The food guy on Frasier. The two Gay men on Modern Family were super sarcastic, especially the redheaded one. The Gay character on Will & Grace. Both the gay characters on Sex in the City. Nothing but sarcasm. That's why gay men like Gilmore Girls, the constant sarcasm. The Gay man in Victor Victoria. I'm sure I'm missing a ton of them, but you get the point.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 26th, 2021 at 12:56:44 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Look, I'm answering a post by AMS.

You can go back to pretending to have me blocked. I prefer it that way.

^^^not sarcasm, btw.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
March 26th, 2021 at 3:08:01 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Look, I'm answering a post by AMS. I actually loathe the main character on this show so much I'm fantasizing about her meeting Bill Cosby in 2001 and her being one of his victims. It makes me happy to think that. And you know I'm right about Gay people and sarcasm. It even translates onto the screen. Name one Gay character on any TV show in the last 30 years there wasn't one sarcastic remark after another. The food guy on Frasier. The two Gay men on Modern Family were super sarcastic, especially the redheaded one. The Gay character on Will & Grace. Both the gay characters on Sex in the City. Nothing but sarcasm. That's why gay men like Gilmore Girls, the constant sarcasm. The Gay man in Victor Victoria. I'm sure I'm missing a ton of them, but you get the point.

(I know nothing about this show, the character, or the actors).

But, if I am interpreting this correctly, this is one of the most twisted things I have read.

You do not like a fictional character in a fictional show so you fantasize about the actor being drugged and raped in real life?
(Am I the only one who sees a problem with this?)

Or was this one of his victims which is why the reference to 2001 (again I don't know anything about her), in which case it would make the comment somehow even worse.....
March 26th, 2021 at 3:40:23 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
I can understand why Gay people might like this, they love sarcasm and use it all the time.

The Paul Lynde Show (September 13, 1972 – March 14, 1973) is on youtube. Although mainstream gay celebrities like Lynde and Liberace were not "out" that long ago, they made a lot of thinly disguised comments.

Lynde was the Prince of Sarcasm.
March 26th, 2021 at 3:52:43 PM permalink
Evenbob
^^not sarcasm, btw.

There is a still in the closet Gay guy on the HBO show Succession. He's nice looking but has never had sex with a woman. He tries and tries and always fails. He always has a beautiful beard with him and she's the only one who knows that he's a sexual failure with women and she constantly makes fun of him for it. Which he likes. Almost every word out of this guy's mouth is hurtful sarcasm hurled at everybody. The writers do this because they know Gay men are extremely sarcastic and they want to paint this guy as Gay as possible without ever actually using the word Gay.