Gigafactory

October 4th, 2015 at 3:20:39 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote:
SolarCity today said it has manufactured the world's most efficient rooftop solar panel

Quote:
According to SolarCity, the new panels were measured as having a 22.04% module-level efficiency by Renewable Energy Test Center, a third-party certification provider.

The new panels produce 30% to 40% more power over the current models, but they cost the same to manufacture -- about .55 cents per watt, according to Bass. The panels, which are 1.61 meters or 1.81 meters in size, depending on the model, will have a capacity of 355 watts each.

They expect to make around 9000 a day in the gigafactory.

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2988866/sustainable-it/solarcity-claims-it-has-created-the-worlds-most-powerful-solar-panel.html?google_editors_picks=true
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 5th, 2015 at 4:40:25 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Computerworld
According to SolarCity, the new panels were measured as having a 22.04% module-level efficiency by Renewable Energy Test Center, a third-party certification provider. The new panels produce 30% to 40% more power over the current models, but they cost the same to manufacture -- about .55 cents per watt, according to Bass.

That's an interesting way to phrase the point.

The new panels produce 30% to 40% more power over the current models, but they cost the same 30% to 40% more to manufacture.
February 29th, 2016 at 8:39:12 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I think this is the most relevant thread for me to revive for a startling and profound announcement about HYDROGEN, WATER and FUEL CELLS.

One hundred percent efficiency has been cheaply achieved at room temperature for converting all the possible hydrogen from water. Two protons are formed and then unite to form hydrogen which can then feed a battery or fuel cell to produce water.

Only the first half of the reaction has been performed at one hundred percent efficiency, producing the hydrogen... but the news seems to be astounding the electric car and electric plane types. Anything involving batteries...the math is turned on its head.

Note: its nano tubes of platinum and ordinary light. Nothing special. Can do it in your basement if you need to.
March 31st, 2016 at 12:15:02 PM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Quote: AZDuffman
The "green" market has probably been filled and every person who thinks EVs are some sort of better environmental choice owns one. Though they will need to replace them, the EV must now sell on pure utility if they want the market to expand.

I will maintain my point that the EV market is now mature and more growth will be a slow slog.

Do you still stand by these statements or has your opinion changed?
March 31st, 2016 at 4:05:18 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: reno
Do you still stand by these statements or has your opinion changed?

While I always smell a set-up I do still stand by my remarks and will do so until EVs get a range and cost breakthru. One big test will be that GM and Tesla will be among the first to have their tax credits phased out. Will people pay the true cost of an EV?
The President is a fink.
April 3rd, 2016 at 9:45:10 AM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Before Elon Musk left the stage of Tesla’s design studio in California on Thursday night (March 31), the company’s CEO said 115,000 customers had made $1,000 deposits to buy the Model 3 once it’s ready for delivery (probably) at the end of 2017. By the next afternoon, the number of reservations had reached 232,000, exceeding analysts’ expectations for the entire year.

“We are not aware of any auto product, or for that matter any consumer product, which has taken more than 100,000 orders with a $1,000 down payment; let alone a product that consumers will likely not receive for at least 18 months,” said George Galliers, an automotive analyst at the investment advisory firm Evercore.

While I always smell a set-up I do still stand by my remarks and will do so until EVs get a range and cost breakthru. One big test will be that GM and Tesla will be among the first to have their tax credits phased out. Will people pay the true cost of an EV?

We already know the answer to this tax subsidy question, it's no longer a hypothetical. The $7,500 tax credit disappears after an automaker sells the first 200,000 vehicles. Tesla has already sold 61,000 vehicles (to U.S. customers). So there's only 139,000 credits left. Since Thursday, Tesla has received $1,000 deposits for an additional 232,000 vehicles. (Most of those orders are from Americans.)

Conservatives have been arguing that if EVs were really so popular, sales wouldn't be so dependent on tax credits. Turns out conservatives are right: you don't need tax credits to sell the Tesla Model 3.
April 3rd, 2016 at 10:09:39 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: reno

We already know the answer to this tax subsidy question, it's no longer a hypothetical. The $7,500 tax credit disappears after an automaker sells the first 200,000 vehicles. Tesla has already sold 61,000 vehicles (to U.S. customers). So there's only 139,000 credits left. Since Thursday, Tesla has received $1,000 deposits for an additional 232,000 vehicles. (Most of those orders are from Americans.)

Conservatives have been arguing that if EVs were really so popular, sales wouldn't be so dependent on tax credits. Turns out conservatives are right: you don't need tax credits to sell the Tesla Model 3.

If they sell it without credits then good for them. I will wait to see on deliveries, it is a long time to delivery. Tesla is still basing a huge part of their business in selling EV credits. Almost 2 years to first delivery is a long time. I still see Musk as a snake-oil salesman selling (pumping) stock vs selling cars. I would not be surprised if he tries to use inflated stock to merge with say FCA, who is begging for a partner.

I will just keep watching as an EV makes zero sense for me and I doubt one ever will until they can take a full charge in 10-15 minutes and said charge can be as on-demand as buying gasoline today.
The President is a fink.
April 3rd, 2016 at 12:26:35 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I will just keep watching as an EV makes zero sense for me and I doubt one ever will until they can take a full charge in 10-15 minutes and said charge can be as on-demand as buying gasoline today.

For your reasons and few others, the real impact will be on people who normally want 2 or more vehicles anyway. I don't forsee them having a big impact on single vehicle owners -- the versatility is just not there.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 3rd, 2016 at 1:17:16 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: rxwine
For your reasons and few others, the real impact will be on people who normally want 2 or more vehicles anyway. I don't forsee them having a big impact on single vehicle owners -- the versatility is just not there.

Maybe as a second car, then maybe not. People hear a good pitch then forget how the real world works. For example, how many people mile over their lease because they underestimate their mileage? Most of us know at least one. For EVs I can see it being about people figuring then never go over 200 miles a day, until they run short of range and do.
The President is a fink.
April 3rd, 2016 at 8:40:05 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
You drive more than a certain number of miles you have to buy gasoline, or buy a charge or swap a battery in.
Ain't gonna be hard. Have a lunch and charge the car at the same time.