the death of coal?

February 7th, 2023 at 5:21:02 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Threads: 30
Quote: RonC
The other thing is that we can make laws telling the EPA to do things to curb emissions from plants and other places here in the US. We have only the power of Kerry and his private or government planes to do that in other countries.

Keep getting better at reducing pollution here without killing the economy. Produce things here to help move us through this phase to a greener one. Produce materials to build here. I am not saying be isolationist, but forget a new liberal world order and build a better America or a greater America. We can do better.

I'd start by showcasing leaders in action.

Let's begin with John Kerry, since he's the czar.

Obviously, his mouth and actions don't agree (hypocrite).

Get him out of there.

Anyone using a private jet talking about climate change cannot be a leader of climate change.

Even the President of the USA.

Get his butt in the middle seat of a commercial airliner surrounded by Secret Service and search the civilians before boarding the jet.

That's not a requirement but it should be a requirement to debate climate change or else that person is blowing smoke.

Imagine a Priest trying to convince a congregation to not sin and after mass, he sins in front of the congregation.
February 7th, 2023 at 11:47:45 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: DoubleGold

Anyone using a private jet talking about climate change cannot be a leader of climate change.

I disagree, If that person reduces the problem by more than he increased it, in other words a net positive, that person is doing good for the cause.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
February 7th, 2023 at 1:00:04 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: DRich
I disagree, If that person reduces the problem by more than he increased it, in other words a net positive, that person is doing good for the cause.

That’s not what real leaders do. They do both. Having someone flying around in a private jet tell me to bike to work, ‘but I donate money to fight climate change’ is just a cover up for ‘it’s important as long as I don’t have to change how I behave….’
February 7th, 2023 at 1:31:50 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: SOOPOO
That’s not what real leaders do. They do both. Having someone flying around in a private jet tell me to bike to work, ‘but I donate money to fight climate change’ is just a cover up for ‘it’s important as long as I don’t have to change how I behave….’

Even if you discount carbon credits offset, I believe Gates puts his own money into some climate change endeavors' that aren't returning him a profit.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 7th, 2023 at 8:10:01 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: rxwine
Even if you discount carbon credits offset, I believe Gates puts his own money into some climate change endeavors' that aren't returning him a profit.

That’s irrelevant to my point. He is not changing his life in any meaningful way by putting some money into green initiatives. He’s asking you to change your lifestyle while he sheds some pocket change.
February 7th, 2023 at 8:40:06 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: SOOPOO
That’s irrelevant to my point. He is not changing his life in any meaningful way by putting some money into green initiatives. He’s asking you to change your lifestyle while he sheds some pocket change.

Still, either something is a fact or it isn't regardless of the messenger. Should you not advocate good health practices for patients even if you're not a perfect example. I think so.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 7th, 2023 at 8:53:13 PM permalink
rxwine
Just for instance, would I follow Mike Lindell just because he thoroughly committed to his cause and may believe exactly what he says? Same as the Pope who is thoroughly committed to his views. Nor any other guru of anything. It's ultimately the message that matters, and whether you feel it's factual or not based on what you can ascertain.
February 8th, 2023 at 3:45:40 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Quote: DRich

I see these scams (hypocrites) all the time.

Someone desperately trying to sell their wares so they can get a paycheck.

They don't normally have to get a job and work like the rest of us.

If a person is trying to sell me their junk, show me how "they" used it successfully with supporting data.

Otherwise, the person is blowing smoke.

If trying to sell me on climate change, don't show me your antique gas guzzler Corvette that gets 6 miles per gallon.

Show me how you're inconvenienced by driving an efficient small car that uses very little energy.
February 8th, 2023 at 7:20:40 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: DoubleGold
If trying to sell me on climate change, don't show me your antique gas guzzler Corvette that gets 6 miles per gallon.

Antique cars (even the ones with poor fuel economy) are the best thing for the environment because if you trade it in on a new EV there is an impact from manufacturing a new vehicle.

But yes, I know what you mean.

Fourteen years ago Prince Charles leased a huge yacht to sail between islands in the Caribbean on official travel. His argument was the yacht had a lower carbon impact than flying in jets.

He must have had a room full of analysts to justify that argument.
https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna23472031
February 8th, 2023 at 7:31:27 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Very good example.

He couldn't qualify as a leader in climate change.

I am not a cheater as much as I used to be.

I only sleep with another woman once a month instead of twice a week.

Therefore, allow me to show you how I was able to become happily married and not cheat as much.

I'm a net positive because some folks don't cheat as much when they see me cheat.

Do as I say and not as I do.