Uber?

June 6th, 2017 at 6:19:24 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman
Did they all need transmissions at the same time? Or is the competition cutting in?

They lack drivers. It's deceptive. A medallion owner
usually has a bunch of cabs, so if he's leasing out
6 of them while 4 sit idle he still makes money.
What I'm saying is, even if every cab has a medallion,
they are usually owned in clumps by one man or
company. Much like all the Burger King franchises
owned by the same person in a small city.

Cabs won't disappear, they will just downsize the
fleets. Supply and demand, just like everything
else. As time goes by, more and more regs will
cramp the ride share companies, it's inevitable.
In 10 years you won't see a difference between cabs
or Uber.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 22nd, 2017 at 1:33:20 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Took an Uber home last night at midnight from airport. It said 1 minute wait but we had to call the guy after 5 minutes as he went to the wrong pick up place. So waited around 8 minutes. It's around 15 minute drive to my house in suburbia. Hard to imagine there was a next fare nearby. Total fare... $8.80. Cab is usually around $25. If the guy let's say gets $7 and uber $1.80, I can't see how it can be worth it for the driver. He was driving a nice SUV.
August 22nd, 2017 at 1:43:13 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: SOOPOO
If the guy let's say gets $7 and uber $1.80, I can't see how it can be worth it for the driver. He was driving a nice SUV.

It's not worth it to them. Most drivers
make around minimum wage when
all the expenses are figured in. You
can make money if you want to drive
14 hours a day and live in a big city
and drive for Uber and Lyft at the
same time. The attraction of Uber is
you set the hours and don't answer to
a boss looming over your head.

I have had some bad experiences with
rude Uber drivers, far too many for the
number of times I've used them. Some
have very bad attitudes and tempers and
act like they're doing you a huge favor
by picking you up.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 22nd, 2017 at 1:50:20 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Evenbob

I have had some bad experiences with
rude Uber drivers, far too many for the
number of times I've used them. Some
have very bad attitudes and tempers and
act like they're doing you a huge favor
by picking you up.

I dont believe you
You are so anti uber on this thread yet you have used them many number of times? Makes no sense.
44 pages of dissing uber and never mentioning bad service you received and now all of a sudden you have used them a bunch.
Hmm
Are there 2 EB's. Just makes no logical sense
Every uber ride I have taken has been great
One even provided a charger cord to the back seat for my phone. Another gave me a ride home from the hospital and made sure he went over bumps slowly. The rating system is a huge incentive for drivers to give great service. Cabs dropped the ball on tech and are dying. Uber is the future
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
August 22nd, 2017 at 6:50:22 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: SOOPOO
Took an Uber home last night at midnight from airport. It said 1 minute wait but we had to call the guy after 5 minutes as he went to the wrong pick up place. So waited around 8 minutes. It's around 15 minute drive to my house in suburbia. Hard to imagine there was a next fare nearby. Total fare... $8.80. Cab is usually around $25. If the guy let's say gets $7 and uber $1.80, I can't see how it can be worth it for the driver. He was driving a nice SUV.

Maybe he works near the airport and lives near you
I talked to an Uber driver that only works during his commute to his regular job then home
On the way to work, he picks up passengers that need to travel to a point near where he works
After his regular job is over, he turns on Uber and only accepts rides taking him in the direction of his home.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
August 23rd, 2017 at 2:18:37 AM permalink
Aussie
Threads: 2
Quote: terapined
Maybe he works near the airport and lives near you
I talked to an Uber driver that only works during his commute to his regular job then home
On the way to work, he picks up passengers that need to travel to a point near where he works
After his regular job is over, he turns on Uber and only accepts rides taking him in the direction of his home.

This is basically what I do. My work is about a 45 min drive from my home. I will almost always get a customer or two on the way there and back. I'm going that way anyway so whatever I get is really a bonus. Also Drive on a Friday or Saturday night after work and would average about $30/hr before expenses. As a point of reference Min wage in Aus is just over $18/hr.
August 23rd, 2017 at 6:29:32 AM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Quote: Aussie
This is basically what I do. My work is about a 45 min drive from my home. I will almost always get a customer or two on the way there and back. I'm going that way anyway so whatever I get is really a bonus. Also Drive on a Friday or Saturday night after work and would average about $30/hr before expenses. As a point of reference Min wage in Aus is just over $18/hr.
Minimum wage is 18 an hour? How much is a loaf of bread or a gallon/liter of gas?
August 23rd, 2017 at 2:47:58 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: pew
Minimum wage is 18 an hour? How much is a loaf of bread or a gallon/liter of gas?
Litre. Not called gas. Two points if you can name what we would call a 'gas pump', one point if you can name what we would call a 'pickup truck' and one point for a 'camper vehicle'.
Real estate prices put beverly hills to shame.
No recessions for over a decade.

That is why visa laws are strict and penalty for working if you are a tourist is a minimum of three years of banned attempts to enter. Gap year visas are so valued since its the only way to get a job and be a tourist simultaneously.

Oh...and what do you call a 'bell pepper' down there?
August 23rd, 2017 at 3:18:29 PM permalink
Evenbob
My worst Uber driver was a black guy about
45 a month ago. He turned his boom box
sound system as loud as it would go (it seemed)
as soon an I got in his minivan. I was screaming
for him to turn it off and he finally did. Then
he opened all the windows so air was blowing
in my face the whole time. He had his phone
hooked into the stereo so it blasted it's commands
just as loud as the music had been.

When we got to the airport and I was getting out,
he said in a loud voice HEY! Where's my TIP?
I ignored him and shut the door. When I got home
I checked my CC and there was a charge on there
for the fare and an $80 cleaning fee. I emailed Uber
help and she said he has to file a report and send pics
of whatever damage I did that was worth $80. He
never did any of it and she released the charge. I hope
they fired him.

I didn't leave a negative FB because he knows where I
live. They say the drivers can't see who leaves a FB but
drivers say yes they can, there is a way. I don't trust a
hothead like that. That's only one of my bad Uber
drivers, there are others.
August 23rd, 2017 at 3:23:00 PM permalink
Aussie
Threads: 2
Quote: pew

Bread depends where you get it but as low as $1 per loaf. Petrol currently ranges from approx $1.10-$1.40 per litre depending on the day of the week.