Play Clue!

December 27th, 2015 at 8:26:19 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: odiousgambit
correctcorrect I don't get what you are asking in this last question. Zero rooms?

Zero doors I get (you limit a move to 2 doors, not rooms, the way you wrote the addenda to the rules) if I skip an adjacent room when I want it. I'm understanding that you must be in a room to Suggest that room; I can see a time when someone has suggested my character, which moves me involuntarily, and I might need to get back somewhere else. It might take me a few moves to get back there, right?
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
December 27th, 2015 at 8:42:41 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: beachbumbabs
Zero doors I get (you limit a move to 2 doors, not rooms, the way you wrote the addenda to the rules) if I skip an adjacent room when I want it.
wow I still don't get your question. 2 doors is right, though one door and into a room, or out of a room to the door of the room then one more door down the corridor [then stop] is also a move. Maybe someone else can answer too
Quote:
I'm understanding that you must be in a room to Suggest that room; I can see a time when someone has suggested my character, which moves me involuntarily, and I might need to get back somewhere else. It might take me a few moves to get back there, right?
Yes, this is part of the game. I don't like the rule much, but I didn't want to change any rules except those that I felt, to be faithful to them, would just be too hard to do the way we are playing [like blocking doors, ixnay on that]
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
December 27th, 2015 at 8:44:02 PM permalink
odiousgambit
I am signing off now, see everyone tomorrow
December 27th, 2015 at 10:34:59 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Quote: odiousgambit
wow I still don't get your question. 2 doors is right, though one door and into a room, or out of a room to the door of the room then one more door down the corridor [then stop] is also a move. Maybe someone else can answer too Yes, this is part of the game. I don't like the rule much, but I didn't want to change any rules except those that I felt, to be faithful to them, would just be to hard to do the way we are playing [like blocking doors, ixnay on that]

Ok.

Here I am, in the Conservatory. I made a guess on my last turn, now it's this turn. I want to go to the Kitchen next, which is 2 doors away. (let's say I was in the Ballroom, which is in between, already, and got pulled back into the Conservatory.) So this turn, I leave the Conservatory, exiting 1 door. I don't want to go to either the Ballroom, or the other way to the Billiard room, so I don't go to either of those doors. I'm in the corridor.

Next turn; I'm still in the corridor, could legally enter the Ballroom (next door), but I don't want to go there. Can I, on this turn, enter the Kitchen (2 doors down) or even the Dining Room (3 doors down), or can I only advance 1 room's distance this turn, to the door of the Kitchen, but not into it until next turn? If I can't enter the Kitchen this turn, but only move to its door, I've had a turn with zero doors passed through, which is what I was referring to above.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
December 28th, 2015 at 3:41:57 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: beachbumbabs
Here I am, in the Conservatory. I made a guess on my last turn, now it's this turn. I want to go to the Kitchen next, which is 2 doors away...So this turn, I leave the Conservatory, exiting 1 door. I don't want to go to either the Ballroom, or the other way to the Billiard room, so I don't go to either of those doors. I'm in the corridor.
I guess you could just stop there. In game terms you also could consider yourself at the door to the Conservatory, not blocking anyone from occupying the same place btw.

Quote:
Next turn; I'm still in the corridor, could legally enter the Ballroom (next door), but I don't want to go there. Can I, on this turn, enter the Kitchen (2 doors down) or even the Dining Room (3 doors down), or can I only advance 1 room's distance this turn, to the door of the Kitchen, but not into it until next turn?
If the kitchen was your goal all along, you should have advanced toward it at first chance instead of staying at the door of the conservatory. You should have gone to the door of the ballroom by declaring your move was "to the door of the conservatory and then to the door of the ballroom", where you would have to stop [that you do not intend to go in is immaterial]. Then on your next turn you'd go to the door of the Kitchen and into the Kitchen. Perhaps someone else was at the door to the ballroom; well, you can both be there.
Quote:
If I can't enter the Kitchen this turn, but only move to its door, I've had a turn with zero doors passed through, which is what I was referring to above.
passing ... OK, I get it. Players move from door to door, or from door to inside a room. Note exactly: leaving from your last door or room then to a door to a door is the extent of a move, or from where you were to a door to inside a room is a turn. From where you were to a door to a door to inside a room is more than can be done in a turn.

In strategy games I've played units often use "movement points". In this game the way we are playing you could consider yourself to have 2 movement points, one of which can be used passing into a room. I wouldn't think of any ended move as just being in the corridor. Players essentially constantly occupy doors which they have to share, or go into a room.

In the game we played at work players just went from room to room, one room at a time. That was OK, but takes away the swiftness of the secret passages. We'll have to go to that though if this set of rules baffles everyone.

Note that in the 2002 rules it states "you may not forfeit a turn to remain in a particular room ".
December 28th, 2015 at 10:01:40 AM permalink
odiousgambit
AZ has chosen Col. Mustard, he will be second to move

I take it he is pretty busy today till maybe later

I think we can assume that there are no more questions that can't be answered while we play, anyway, so we are ready for Miss Scarlet to move. I should be around in case Mustard or anyone else for that matter not present needs to disprove any suggestion.

for order to move and order of disproving suggestions, it is Scarlet, Mustard, Green, then Peacock
December 28th, 2015 at 10:13:06 AM permalink
miplet
Threads: 8
Maybe a visual aid will help. You are either in a room, or in a pink rectangle outside a room.
If you're in a room, you can move to the pink rectangle outside the room and then to the pink rectangle clockwise or counter-clockwise from there.
If you are in a pink rectangle outside a room,you can either enter that room; move 1 pink rectangle clockwise or counter-clockwise from there and enter that room; or move 2 pink rectangles clockwise or counter-clockwise from there.
"...remind me of clue: Colonel Mustard in the billiard room with the candlestick."- Derek Morgan
December 28th, 2015 at 10:17:18 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Quote: miplet
Maybe a visual aid will help. You are either in a room, or in a pink rectangle outside a room.
If you're in a room, you can move to the pink rectangle outside the room and then to the pink rectangle clockwise or counter-clockwise from there.
If you are in a pink rectangle outside a room,you can either enter that room; move 1 pink rectangle clockwise or counter-clockwise from there and enter that room; or move 2 pink rectangles clockwise or counter-clockwise from there.

Works for me, if this is what OG was envisioning; it's what I was describing. Nice graphic!
December 28th, 2015 at 10:20:30 AM permalink
miplet
Threads: 8
Miss Scarlet Enters the Lounge and makes the following suggestion:

Mr. Green in the Lounge with the Wrench.
"...remind me of clue: Colonel Mustard in the billiard room with the candlestick."- Derek Morgan
December 28th, 2015 at 12:35:02 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: miplet
Maybe a visual aid will help.

Yes, good visual, it works, and thanks! Funny how placing the corridor outside instead of inside works, quite brilliant!