Simple question?

Thread Rating:

April 17th, 2016 at 5:57:58 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: pew
So you have zero evidence that the bible says the earth is flat. No chapter, no verse. Just belief.

I told you were to find it.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 17th, 2016 at 6:04:35 AM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Quote: Nareed
I told you were to find it.
Chapter and verse please. Or please just stop making silly claims to further your agenda.
April 17th, 2016 at 6:10:20 AM permalink
Nareed
Chapter and verse please. Or please just stop making silly claims to further your agenda.

I made no claims. I offered a suggestion.
April 17th, 2016 at 6:20:21 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Lots of chapters and verses. You have to follow the links to see them.
Here is another collection: Http:/:www.testingtheglobe.com/bible.html
Those are all quotes where the earth is described in a way that is inconsistent with a spheroid.

Of course, anything you read in the bible first has to pass through a personal filter for you to decide if you believe it or not. The flat earth society people did, and backed their assertions with the scripture.

Quote:
From their geographical and historical context, one would expect the ancient Hebrews to have a flat-earth cosmology. Indeed, from the very beginning, ultra-orthodox Christians have been flat-earthers, arguing that to believe otherwise is to deny the literal truth of the Bible. The flat-earth implications of the Bible were rediscovered and popularized by English-speaking Christians in the mid-19th century. Liberal scriptural scholars later derived the same view. Thus, students with remarkably disparate points of view independently concluded that the ancient Hebrews had a flat-earth cosmology, often deriving this view from scripture alone. Their conclusions were dramatically confirmed by the rediscovery of 1 Enoch.
(emphasis added)
From Http://www.testingtheglobe.com/bible.html

The people who wrote the bible did not think the earth was a spheroid, and the stories they made up and put into the bible describe it in non-spheroid, flat terms.

Are you requiring the bible to explicitly and clearly say "the earth is flat" ? If so, that is a higher burden of proof than is required for many of the other things that people are taught that the bible says.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
April 17th, 2016 at 6:48:37 AM permalink
pew
"In all those places in the Bible where it's stated the Earth is Flat"
I made no claims. I offered a suggestion.
Sounds like a claim to me. Where are those "all those places"?
April 17th, 2016 at 7:28:17 AM permalink
Nareed
Sounds like a claim to me.

Quote:
Where are

Sounds like a sentence fragment to me.
April 17th, 2016 at 11:02:49 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Dalex64
Are you requiring the bible to explicitly and clearly say "the earth is flat" ? If so, that is a higher burden of proof than is required for many of the other things that people are taught that the bible says.

Even if it explicitly said, "The Earth is as flat as an ancient Egyptian Waffle House pancake." Would it matter?

Someone will tell you it means something else. Like so:

"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it."

"Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

Prior to a discussion with FrGamble, I would have said it is hard to misinterpret the meaning of those.

But with Christians, all meanings are possible. Or at least the ones they desire.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 17th, 2016 at 11:06:51 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
"In all those places in the Bible where it's stated the Earth is Flat"Sounds like a claim to me. Where are those "all those places"?

I like this one in Revelation 7:1

'Then I saw four angels standing at the four corners of the earth, holding back the four winds so they did not blow on the earth or the sea, or even on any tree.'

Globes and spheres don't have corners. They
thought the earth was flat. Why is this such a
surprise to you.

'
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 17th, 2016 at 2:03:57 PM permalink
pew
Sounds like a sentence fragment to me.
Thank you for conceding the point.
April 17th, 2016 at 2:52:56 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Thank you for conceding the point.

He didn't. The Bible obviously says the
world was flat. Look it up. Read what
it says.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.