Simple question?

Thread Rating:

April 13th, 2016 at 3:59:24 PM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Quote: Nareed
Here's a freebie for young Earth creationists:

In all those places in the Bible where it's stated the Earth is Flat, the all-powerful, perfect, god Jehovah actually meant to say the Universe.

Go on, use it. The universe is flat.

Of course, it needs to be billions of years old for the evidence to support that >:)
Reference please.
April 14th, 2016 at 7:47:00 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I'm listening to "A Universe From Nothing," by Lawrence M. Krauss, subtitled "Why Is There Something Rather Than Nothing."

Finished :)

OF course now I need something new for my workout time...

Anyway, I highly recommend it. With a caveat: it may be necessary to read it twice before you get it all. I know I need to repeat a few things myself. But the overall thread and the conclusion are clear.

I'd even add a commentary to the subtitle: No Gods Required.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 16th, 2016 at 1:54:13 PM permalink
pew
Quote: pew
Reference please.
Nothing huh?
Oh well. Why am I not surprised?
April 16th, 2016 at 2:44:35 PM permalink
Nareed
Nothing huh?

Reference to what?
April 16th, 2016 at 6:01:31 PM permalink
pew
Reference to what?
That the Bible states the earth is flat.
April 16th, 2016 at 6:40:36 PM permalink
Nareed

You need a reference for the Bible?
April 16th, 2016 at 6:51:18 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

Isaiah 11:12
12 And he shall set up an ensign for the nations, and shall assemble the outcasts of Israel, and gather together the dispersed of Judah from the FOUR CORNERS OF THE EARTH. (KJV)

Globes do not have corners. They thought
the earth was flat with 4 sides.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 16th, 2016 at 7:21:04 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Ahh. I recently posted this link in another thread here. It has a section which has collected these "ends of the earth" quotes from the bible:

Http://hypertextbook.com/eworld/geocentric.shtml

To help understand what they meant, it is useful to know what people believed at the time the bible was written. In particular, the old testament was thought to be written over a long period of time, sometime between 1000bc and 500 bc, give or take a few centuries. So, here is a link to what people believed about the shape of the earth through the ages:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_Earth

So, you can see that people in the area we are talking about believed in some non-spheroid shape for the earth until 550bc to 330bc or so, with straggling round-earth deniers for some time.

From that I think it is reasonable to conclude that the bible, the old testament at least, meant what it said pretty literally, rather than figuratively, when they wrote about the ends of the earth and the four corners of the earth, etc.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
April 16th, 2016 at 8:16:44 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Dalex64
To help understand what they meant, it is useful to know what people believed at the time the bible was written.

Yes and no. Specifically, what kinds of people believed at the time.

Put another way, an inwards-looking bunch of desert tribes without much of a philosophical streak outside of religion, and an almost complete lack of maritime tradition, are not likely to notice the Earth is a spheroid. Contrast that with the Greeks or Phoenicians, who knew the Earth is "round." BTW I'd expect the ancient Egyptians also thought the Earth to be flat.
April 17th, 2016 at 5:30:02 AM permalink
pew
So you have zero evidence that the bible says the earth is flat. No chapter, no verse. Just belief.