looks like. This is Kuu, the Finnish moon
goddess. Finish neopaganism is a very
real religion that predates Christianity
in it's mythology. There's been a
revival in Finland and there are many
followers. What's wrong with praying
to Kuu? She watches over you and
gives you safe travels. She's quite
attractive in all the renditions of her.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 8th, 2017 at 3:58:34 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
From what I understand, the Catholic Church follows a tradition of 12 male apostles and a male leader, which is why the Pope is never a woman.

Where did Jesus teach that?

Sounds like an extremely unimportant tradition. Jesus was influenced by tradition not high moral principles?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 8th, 2017 at 4:10:26 PM permalink
rxwine
Also don't priest considered themselves married to the church? Surely that makes them the subservient ones to God. So, like that's the women's role.

Yet you set yourself up so they can't obtain Popedom in your men units. Sounds like a problem to me.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 8th, 2017 at 4:17:21 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: rxwine
Sounds like an extremely unimportant tradition.

I've been through this with someone on this forum already (I forget who). As I recall, women are not qualified to be priests because they're qualified to be priests.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
May 8th, 2017 at 4:19:00 PM permalink
Nareed
Also don't priest considered themselves married to the church?

I'll let someone else answer that fully, but I don't think this is the case even for monks.

Nuns, though, so I hear, are "married" to Jesus, or God, or someone.
May 8th, 2017 at 4:26:18 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
From what I understand, the Catholic Church follows a tradition of 12 male apostles and a male leader, which is why the Pope is never a woman.

Where did Jesus teach that?

Sounds like an extremely unimportant tradition. Jesus was influenced by tradition not high moral principles?

It is an example of tradition for the sake of tradition.

At the time, the religions did not have women in leadership positions, so it is understandable that a new religion would follow suit. Societal reasons.

However, the traditionalists grab ahold of that and take it to mean that ONLY men could hold the highest leadership positions, EVER.

You will then quickly slide into arguments about the things that appeared in the bible which are not forbidden, the things that do appear in the Bible that are forbidden, the things that do appear in the Bible that are forbidden, and the things that don't appear in the Bible which are not forbidden, and the attempts to justify why certain things fall into each of those categories on a case by case basis.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
May 8th, 2017 at 4:36:37 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Dalex64
At the time, the religions did not have women in leadership positions, so it is understandable that a new religion would follow suit.

I'd argue it depends on the religion and cult, and cite such examples as the god's Wife of Amun in Egypt, the Vestal Virgins in Rome, etc. But the truth is women had few relevant positions of power or leadership at the time.
May 8th, 2017 at 5:51:47 PM permalink
rxwine
I'm guessing Mary was elevated at some point to deal with the Catholic faith losing the appeal to women. Appeasement.

I can just see women complaining about it, as I would in their position after awhile.

Attributing base motives to their pure ideals. Yah.

The Churches motives of course. The women's would be justified.
May 8th, 2017 at 6:25:11 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I'm guessing Mary was elevated at some point to deal with the Catholic faith losing the appeal to women. Appeasement.

A huge part of the early church was
wiping out pagan temples and
absorbing the followers into the
new religion. Most pagan religions
worshiped the goddess, the female
deity. Christianity had nothing like that
so they promoted Mary into the
ranks of the hierarchy to make the
pagans feel more at home. Mary
is not a deity, but she has the ear
of Jesus and it was a good enough
myth for the pagan rabble.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 8th, 2017 at 8:04:43 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: Nareed
I'd argue it depends on the religion and cult, and cite such examples as the god's Wife of Amun in Egypt, the Vestal Virgins in Rome, etc. But the truth is women had few relevant positions of power or leadership at the time.

I was talking specifically about the religions present at that time and place, and how society there treated women.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan