Simple question?

Thread Rating:

November 30th, 2018 at 8:43:42 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
If you really are 100% absolutely sure there is no God or possibility of God then that puts you in very tiny group of people who are often the most disturbed and dangerous of people.

So you live in a world where Einstein
and Hawking and Isaac Aaimov are
'disturbed and dangerous' people.
In my world it's the exact opposite.
These are the people we love and
venerate. It's ones that walk around
talking to their invisible friends,
and thinking some god is looking
out for their every move, those
are the people we don't trust.

Religious zealots have always been
threatened by non believers, it
upsets their barely held onto faith
that somebody may be smarter
than them..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 1st, 2018 at 5:14:59 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
You know very well I'm not talking about the people you mentioned who are all great people and who I too admire in many ways. I think I made it clear that none of the men you mentioned would agree with your radical atheism and none would ridicule someone for their belief in God.
The disturbed and dangerous are those atheists we saw throughout the 20th century who along with their followers caused more death and bloodshed than ever before. Non believers even tried a genocide on believers. I think you can excuse me if I am threatened by nonbelievers, not because of their vapid and illogical thinking but because of what it leads to.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
December 1st, 2018 at 10:37:36 AM permalink
Evenbob
Y
The disturbed and dangerous are those atheists we saw throughout the 20th century who along with their followers caused more death and bloodshed than ever before. .

You mean like Hitler? He wasn't an atheist,
he was a Catholic. He was raised by a
zealot mother, and wanted to be a priest
at one time. He mentioned god all the
time, and though he was hard on the
Church, never announced he was no
longer a member of it. He even had his
soldiers wear belt buckles that had
Got Mit Uns inscribed on them, 'God
is with us'. Does that sound like an
atheist to you?

“Besides that, I believe one thing: there is a Lord God! And this Lord God creates the peoples.” [1] ~Adolf Hitler

“We were convinced that the people need and require this faith. We have therefore undertaken the fight against the atheistic movement, and that not merely with a few theoretical declarations; we have stamped it out” [2] ~Adolf Hitler

How about Stalin?

"Stalin was raised as a Christian under the religious influence of his mother, who enrolled him in seminary school, and that Stalin later took it upon himself to study for the priesthood."

He later rejected his belief in god, but
like Hitler, it was his early Xtion training
that turned him into a monster, not a
lack of faith.

And Pol Pot, he was a Buddhist, and they
have no personal god anyway.

"Pol Pot's violence, much like the violence of many earlier religionists, wasn’t the result of a lack of belief in a god, but in the megalomaniacal belief that heaven or destiny was guiding him to improve the state of affairs for all those who could be forced to share his misguided utopian delusions. Not only was Pol Pot a Theravada Buddhist, but the soil in which his atrocities were sewn was also very Buddhist."

I do wish you'd quit dragging out this
old 'atheist atrocities fallacy', it's so
tired and it so doesn't work. Trying
to deflect the atrocities the Church
committed by deferring to those
wascally 'atheists'..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 1st, 2018 at 12:52:20 PM permalink
FrGamble
I do wish you would stop dragging out this old argument that at one point these horrible people believed in God as if that makes them believers. It doesn't work. Your speculation doesn't work and is false. Look instead at their actions. In all of these cases the first places hit hard and destroyed was the Church and other faithful believers. They not only were atheists in thoughts but in actions. They all, including Hitler, replaced God and theology with themselves and their ideologies. No amount of atheistic apologetics can overcome that fact.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
December 1st, 2018 at 1:37:31 PM permalink
Evenbob
I do wish you would stop dragging out this old argument that at one point these horrible people believed in God as if that makes them believers. It doesn't work.

It's the only thing that does work. Both
Stalin and Hitler were raised by very
staunch Catholic mothers, to the
point they almost became priests.
Stalin went to seminary. They weren't
raised by awful godless secularists,
they were indoctrinated into the
Catholic religion at the youngest age
possible.

Yet they both became violent hating
monsters despite their religious
upbringing. That's the root cause of
their problem, atheism had nothing
to do with anything. They were both
young at the end of the 19th century,
when the Church was at it's most
vocal in it's hatred of the Jews. Stalin
and Hitler were taught the Jews were
the scourge of the earth because
they rejected Christ, had all the wealth,
and worst of all were trying to take
back the Holy Land as their own.

So look to your own Church for what
shaped these men, atheism had nothing
to do with it.
December 1st, 2018 at 1:40:00 PM permalink
FrGamble
So you think if they would have remained Catholic or would have become priests or faithful people of God they would have been worse? Or do you think it is their rejection of the Church that led to their evil?
December 1st, 2018 at 1:48:41 PM permalink
Evenbob
So you think if they would have remained Catholic or would have become priests or faithful people of God they would have been worse? Or do you think it is their rejection of the Church that led to their evil?

I think it's the seeds of racial hatred
that the Church planted in their
brains year after year that eventually
made them what they became.
Imagine that half the time the sermon
is on what a subhuman race the Jews
are, that they're cause of every problem
in Europe. All because they won't accept
Jesus and they have an above average
intelligence that leads them to great
success in business. Where do you
think all the anti semitism in Europe
came from.
December 1st, 2018 at 1:51:43 PM permalink
FrGamble
So you do think that would have been worse if they wouldn't have rejected their faith?

Why do you think that everyone else who were faithful Catholics didn't do the things they did?
December 1st, 2018 at 2:05:13 PM permalink
Evenbob
So you do think that would have been worse if they wouldn't have rejected their faith?
Why do you think that everyone else who were faithful Catholics didn't do the things they did?

Hitler never rejected his faith, why do
you keep saying that. He mentioned
god all the time, he said god was on
his side, he never renounced his
membership in the Church. Do you
this he put 'God is with us' on the
soldiers belt buckles because he
had lost his faith?

Why didn't others do what they did?
Gee, maybe it's because they weren't
megalomaniacal madmen like Hitler
and Stalin were. Do you have any idea
how much your Church hated the
Jews?
December 1st, 2018 at 8:30:36 PM permalink
FrGamble
Are you saying Hitler who attacked the Church and killed priest and bishops by the carloads did not reject the faith? He did not believe in God as Christians understand God. He replaced God and religion with the state. That you don't see this is frightening to me. Just look at his actions and tell me he did not reject the faith and it's commandments.