Simple question?

Thread Rating:

November 30th, 2018 at 11:20:18 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
So how do you know there is not a God?

Also I'm happy you at least acknowledge a value to Wikipedia, I think that is as close as I can get to recognition you were wrong to say it is run by the Vatican and full of lies.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
November 30th, 2018 at 11:37:14 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
good luck
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
November 30th, 2018 at 1:34:55 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
So how do you know there is not a God?

Stephen Hawking wrote 'there is no God' in his final book. It's not the first time he's shared that belief. "There is no God, no one directs the universe. The question is, is the way the universe began chosen by God for reasons we can’t understand, or was it determined by a law of science? I believe the second. If you like, you can call the laws of science 'God', but it wouldn’t be a personal God that you would meet and put questions to."

you were wrong to say it is run by the Vatican and full of lies.

Of course it's run by the Vatican and
of course it's full of the usual Vatican
lies. Just like Mormonism entry is run
by the Temple, and Sociologist entry
is run by them. Try posting something
negative on any of these pages and
see how long it lasts. They have minders
that monitor everything.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 30th, 2018 at 2:47:11 PM permalink
FrGamble
So there is no God because Hawking said there is no God? Is that you are going with?
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
November 30th, 2018 at 3:10:39 PM permalink
Evenbob
So there is no God because Hawking said there is no God? Is that you are going with?

It's interesting that somebody smarter than
you and I put together, who was raised in
a god religion, came to the same conclusion
I did. Or Einstein did. I feel warm and fuzzy
that I'm in such stellar company.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 30th, 2018 at 4:08:50 PM permalink
FrGamble
Neither Einstein or Hawking would agree with that for certain there is no God. That warm fuzzy feeling by the way is the logical fallacy of arguing based on authority.
November 30th, 2018 at 4:25:52 PM permalink
Evenbob
Neither Einstein or Hawking would agree with that for certain there is no God. .

So in your denial, when you read Hawking
saying for the hundredth time:

"There is no God, no one directs the universe."

What you really see is him saying 'maybe' there's
a god? Wow. Talk about hearing only what you
want to hear. He's was definite about it, there is
no god. He said it again in his last book, published
after he died.

God badly needs a press agent. He appears to
and saves hundreds of drug addicts and alcoholics
a day, yet couldn't spare 5 min to set Hawking
straight? Somebody who could advance his cause
by light years? Dumb, god..
November 30th, 2018 at 5:20:56 PM permalink
FrGamble
There are plenty of people as smart as Hawking that do believe in God. Many of the people whose shoulders Hawking stands on were devoted believers.
Hawking is a brilliant scientist but we have already talked about what a bad philosopher he was.
In the quote you just gave he asks an open question about God and he choses to not believe. He doesn't seem to condemn those who do. He even gives God his own name, "the laws of science". In this he is not totally wrong. God is the author of those laws of science.
November 30th, 2018 at 7:49:17 PM permalink
Evenbob
There are plenty of people as smart as Hawking that do believe in God

And there are plenty of flowers that
aren't red, so what. Hawking was
a very smart guy and the older he
got, the more he stood behind his
statement that there is no god.

The number of really smart people
who are atheists can't be ignored.

Atheists Are More Intelligent Than Religious People, say Researchers

Numerous studies over past decades have found religious people to have lower average intelligence than people who do not believe in a god.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/atheists-more-intelligent-than-religious-people-faith-instinct-cleverness-a7742766.html

Why Are Atheists Generally Smarter Than Religious People?

Religion is an instinct, they say, and people who can rise above instincts are more intelligent than those who rely on them. Scientists ran a meta-analysis of 63 studies and found that religious people tend to be less intelligent than nonreligious people.

https://www.livescience.com/59361-why-are-atheists-generally-more-intelligent.html
November 30th, 2018 at 8:20:21 PM permalink
FrGamble
I'll check out those articles when I can and let you know what I think. Thanks for posting them.

Just curious how they took into account the vast difference in the number of people that do believe in God and the very small number who don't? Also I'm willing to bet that most of the people in these articles who say they don't believe in God would not say there is no possibility of God. If you really are 100% absolutely sure there is no God or possibility of God then that puts you in very tiny group of people who are often the most disturbed and dangerous of people.