13 votes (50%)
10 votes (38.46%)
3 votes (11.53%)

26 members have voted

April 14th, 2016 at 1:16:56 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: beachbumbabs
That is one distorted bubble you live in, azd. Businesses decide not to do business with bigots and for you, that makes them the bigot. Interesting twist.

People and businesses vote with patronizing or not Patronizing communities, states, other businesses. It's the most sincere form of support or not, when there's money involved. Those who don't want to do business in a climate that discriminates against customers, not as bad customers, but judging them to be unworthy customers due to the businesses' prejudices, deserve to go out of business. Boycotting bad business IS good business.

I won't speak for AZD, but I'm sort of with him on this aspect.

It's great to take a stand. I know when Mag-Pul pulled out of some of the more anti-gun states and moved shop, I was happy. That's what I like to see "my" companies do. That's what I like to see happen to authoritarian asshats.

But what of AZD's point? If a company pulls out of NC "because gay hate", yet does loads of business with the Saudis who stone their gays,... how much support does that company deserve?

Me, I feel like I'm being played. Mag-Pul not only left their state, they refused to do business with the bad states. And I don't mean me and my poor NY ass, I mean all of NY. No police, no fed, nothing. They will not sell to NY. They put values over value, if you get my meaning. That's noble. If Mag-Pul instead left CO and went to NJ, and were making bank on tax cuts and fed contracts, well, that's not really any gesture at all, is it?
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
April 14th, 2016 at 1:18:07 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: miplet

Thanks. Here is what it says for Nevada:

Quote: Administrative Code: Nev. Admin. Code. Ch. 440, § 130 (2006).
Text: 1. The state registrar may prepare a new certificate of birth for a person having a sexual transformation only upon order of a court of competent jurisdiction. 2. The court order must specify those facts to be changed on the new certificate. All other items must remain as on the original certificate.

The web page you sited goes onto say:

Quote: Summary
Nevada will issue a birth certificate reflecting the proper sex.

Two questions:

1. What does a "sexual transformation" mean?
2. "proper" sex according to whom?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
April 14th, 2016 at 1:59:51 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Wizard

Two questions:

1. What does a "sexual transformation" mean?
2. "proper" sex according to whom?

As I read it:

1. Someone took a knife and did some cutting.

2. Can you pee standing up? (lets not talk about folks in a wheelchair or with a UT issue, I think we all know what I am saying)
The President is a fink.
April 14th, 2016 at 2:36:17 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Face
But what of AZD's point? If a company pulls out of NC "because gay hate", yet does loads of business with the Saudis who stone their gays,... how much support does that company deserve?

You're repeating FrGamble's argument defending religious wars. There were wars much worse than those carried out for non-religious reasons, therefore the killing of Catholics by Protestants and viceversa was ok.

Consider, too, a state in the US is not as monolithic or fanatical as countries like Saudi Arabia which are dominated by religion. Where would applying economic pressure actually produce positive results?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 16th, 2016 at 2:40:53 AM permalink
DJTeddyBear
Threads: 5
Quote: Wizard
Question: I heard the North Carolina bill says one must use a public bathroom for the gender on his/her birth certificate. However, can't one petition to change the gender on that?
My mother used to tell me she wanted me to be a lawyer. That's why my middle name is spelled Lawrence. Whatever.

Recently I needed a replacement copy of my birth certificate. Laurence. WTF?!?

I found out it would be a major pain in the ass to change, so I'm not gonna. And that's for a simple typo. I don't even want to imagine the hoops needed to be jumped thru to change some factual data...
Ignorance is bliss and knowledge is power. But having only some facts can get you into trouble!
April 16th, 2016 at 3:37:07 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Laura Jane Grace with her band Against Me are playing North Carolina:

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/04/14/laura-jane-grace-against-me-north-carolina

For those who don't know their work, Against Me's front person called themselves Tom Gabel, and lived as a male. They struggled with gender dysphoria for most of their career, and took steps to rectify that in 2012. I don't believe LJG has done surgery at this point.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
April 16th, 2016 at 6:08:21 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Face

I think the point you are missing are that gay employees are probably a valued part of paypal and the talent is very appreciated
I don't work for paypal
I do work for a huge company, we are part of the DOW
In my company we have many gays in management, Their talent is immense and appreciated. It a tough job being in management, you have to keep people you manage happy and productive while also keeping upper management happy. Its a tough job and we have many gays in my company succeeding in doing that job. It about talent and keeping that talent. In my company we have a lot of talented managers that just happen to be gay.
In my company their is always a push to keep talent. It what keeps a company successful.
Its about attracting and keeping the best talent to succeed.
You cant attract top talent in a state that discriminates against highly talented employees simply because they are gay.

Had a friend at work that worked for a gay manager. This manager was one of the top managers in the company. My friend , a valued talented employee left the company for a different type of career. After a few years he inquired about coming back. He would only come back if he could work for the same manager.
Talent attracts talent.
Its about operating in a state to attract top talent.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/04/15/cirque-du-soleil-cancels-north-carolina-shows-to-protest-lgbt-law/

The fallout continues
Cirque Solei had shows scheduled in 3 NC cities this summer
All canceled due to the recent anti LGBT bill passed
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
April 16th, 2016 at 6:36:47 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: terapined

You cant attract top talent in a state that discriminates against highly talented employees simply because they are gay.

Do you attract a lot of female employees by mentioning men are allowed to use the ladies restroom?

Why do you support discriminating against women? Why are you against women's right to privacy? Why do you keep up this war on women?

Seriously, requiring use of the bathroom for you assigned sex being called "discrimination" is a sign the culture has fallen.
The President is a fink.
April 16th, 2016 at 10:13:44 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
April 16th, 2016 at 11:27:27 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
I think the point you are missing...

Missing? I think I nailed it out of the park...

Its about operating in a state to attract top talent.

This was my point. I find a difference between doing the right thing because it's right, and doing the right thing because it's profitable / best for me. And some of the stuff about NC with regards to the companies boycotting strike me as the latter.

Could be that their humanitarian ways just so happen to align with their business goals. It happens, could be happening here. But I damn sure want to know first, before lauding them for what might be no more than an opportunistic gesture.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.