Trump vs Hillary 2016

Thread Rating:

September 28th, 2016 at 12:00:07 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
You have to wonder why Trump is having so much trouble remembering having said things in the past.

I think discriminating against people with dementia is wrong, but their capabilities are limited and thus shouldn't be entrusted with major responsibilities.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 28th, 2016 at 12:10:58 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: reno
The campaign had secretly produced commercials featuring Machado weeks ago. All that was left was to get Trump to call Machado fat in 2016, (the original Miss Piggy quote was from 1997 on Howard Stern) which Trump helpfully provided on Tuesday's Fox & Friends unprompted.

Hillary's goal is to motivate women (and Latinas!) to get to the polls in November.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8ZM58O_gBo
I have to admit that is pretty effective, even if it was sneaky.

Supposedly the "Miss Piggy" comment came from Howard Stern, but Trump did nothing to correct it.
September 28th, 2016 at 1:06:48 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
According to the bookies
Clintons chances are increasing
Trumps chances are lower
Just in the last couple of days Clinton has moved from 1 / 2 to 4/9 and 5/12
Couple days ago Trump was at 8/5 and 7/4 at most sites, now drifting downward. A few are still at 8/5 and 7/4 but a lot have moved back to 2/1
Who won the debate?
polls are meaningless
Odds are moving away from Trump in just the last 2 days
Bookies are neither left or right, they look at the debate, determine the loser and adjust the odds accordingly
I am giddy :-) Clinton won due to independent source, bookies

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/us-politics/us-presidential-election-2016/winner
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 28th, 2016 at 1:15:19 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Lester Holt never asked Trump about his disparaging remarks of 1996 Miss Universe Alicia Machado; in response to a different question, Hillary changed the subject and brought up Machado's name out of the blue.

Quote: debate transcript
HOLT: We are at — we are at the final question.
(APPLAUSE)
CLINTON: Well, one thing. One thing, Lester.
HOLT: Very quickly, because we’re at the final question now.
CLINTON: You know, he tried to switch from looks to stamina. But this is a man who has called women pigs, slobs and dogs, and someone who has said pregnancy is an inconvenience to employers, who has said…
TRUMP: I never said that.
CLINTON: …. women don’t deserve equal pay unless they do as good a job as men.
TRUMP: I didn’t say that.
CLINTON: And one of the worst things he said was about a woman in a beauty contest. He loves beauty contests, supporting them and hanging around them. And he called this woman “Miss Piggy.” Then he called her “Miss Housekeeping,” because she was Latina. Donald, she has a name.
TRUMP: Where did you find this? Where did you find this?
CLINTON: Her name is Alicia Machado.
TRUMP: Where did you find this?
CLINTON: And she has become a U.S. citizen, and you can bet…
TRUMP: Oh, really?
CLINTON: … she’s going to vote this November.

The next morning, on Fox News' Fox & Friends Trump said of Machado, “She was the worst we ever had. The worst. The absolute worst. She was impossible. She was the winner, and she gained a massive amount of weight, and it was a real problem. We had a real problem.”

Here's the fascinating thing about the Fox & Friends quote: Trump brought up the Miss Universe moment unprompted. The Fox hosts hadn't even asked him about it! But Trump couldn’t help himself.

Moreover, it turns out that Hillary had laid an elaborate trap: it wasn't a spontaneous answer to one of Holt's questions, it was a scripted moment. The campaign had secretly produced commercials featuring Machado weeks ago. All that was left was to get Trump to call Machado fat in 2016, (the original Miss Piggy quote was from 1997 on Howard Stern) which Trump helpfully provided on Tuesday's Fox & Friends unprompted.

Hillary's goal is to motivate women (and Latinas!) to get to the polls in November.

It's the same thing they did with the Khan family at the DNC.

They knew Trump would take the bait. He can't help himself.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
September 28th, 2016 at 4:16:12 PM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Quote: ams288
It's the same thing they did with the Khan family at the DNC.

They knew Trump would take the bait. He can't help himself.

That occurred to me, too. But blogger Matthew Yglesias makes a distinction between the 2 controversies:

Quote: Yglesias
The feud with the Khan family from earlier this summer is widely regarded as a self-inflicted fiasco, but at a minimum it appears to have been a genuine accident — the Khans’ speech was not scheduled for primetime, and Democrats seem to have underrated how powerful it would be.

The new war with Machado is nothing like that. The Clinton campaign laid surprisingly intricate groundwork to turn her into a major story both at the debate and in the days following it.
September 28th, 2016 at 4:17:20 PM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Quote: terapined
According to the bookies
Trumps chances are lower
Couple days ago Trump was at 8/5 and 7/4 at most sites, now drifting downward. A few are still at 8/5 and 7/4 but a lot have moved back to 2/1
Who won the debate?

Good news for Evenbob! He could make a quick buck!
September 28th, 2016 at 4:20:46 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
That occurred to me, too. But blogger Matthew Yglesias makes a distinction between the 2 controversies:

The thing is, Trump considers himself the ultimate deal maker. Openly suggesting that he was manipulated successfully will just needle him to frothing indignation. So, of course they should just throw that idea out there at him.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 28th, 2016 at 5:22:52 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: terapined
According to the bookies
Trumps chances are lower
Who won the debate?
polls are meaningless
Odds are moving away from Trump in just the last 2 days
Bookies are neither left or right, they look at the debate, determine the loser and adjust the odds accordingly
I am giddy :-) Clinton won due to independent source, bookies

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/us-politics/us-presidential-election-2016/winner

Actually the bookies at this point in time are not paying any attention to the debate or the polls. They want the same exposure on both sides and not be gambling themselves. They make their money on the Vig.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
September 28th, 2016 at 5:42:04 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
I can't believe anyone actually can think that Trump won the debate. I watched the entire mess. I don't agree with most of what Hillary said, but at least it was intelligible. When Trump mentioned the 400 pounder..... he just added another group of Americans to have a reason not to vote for him.....
September 28th, 2016 at 5:43:58 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: kenarman
Actually the bookies at this point in time are not paying any attention to the debate or the polls. They want the same exposure on both sides and not be gambling themselves. They make their money on the Vig.

That's why I check 2 sites:-)
The open market to confirm bookie odds
https://www.predictit.org/Market/1234/Who-will-win-the-2016-US-presidential-election

I don't look at these sites because they have Clinton ahead
I look at these sites because money has no politics
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"