The "problem" of evil

August 14th, 2016 at 10:02:11 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Evenbob
To an atheist, Christian anthropology is the study
of egoism and narcissism.

You continue to think that Christianity is about the Christian him or herself. It is about recognizing that everyone, every human life is precious and of inestimable value. It is not just me, or you, but all of us who are very special and dear to the Good Lord. Please tell me why this is egoism or narcissism?

Quote:
We are what we are. Live
as best you can, be courteous, treat others as
you would like to be treated, and don't worry
about it. Pretty simple, actually.

Why should we do any of the things you mentioned above. Why be courteous or be the best you can be. If there is no question and no answer to who we are as human beings then what makes us so special? Wouldn't it make sense based on your anthropology, which as best as I can tell is to just consider ourselves another animal no better than a cockroach, to live based on survival of the fittest?
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
August 14th, 2016 at 10:19:52 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
Please tell me why this is egoism or narcissism?

It's the me me me religion. It has
YOU right at the center of it. It's
about YOUR personal one on one
relationship with Jesus. It's concerns
itself with what god is thinking about
YOUR thoughts and actions right now.
What will happen to YOU after YOU
die. Just listen to the sermon every
Sunday, it's usually about how YOU
can fine tune YOUR relationship with
god. What YOU can do to make him
happy, and in turn make YOU happy.
Narcissism on parade. Lets not forget
the green lights and great parking
places YOU get as an extra bonus.

Quote:
Why should we do any of the things you mentioned above.

Only because your life will run much
smoother if you keep the wheels
greased. You will get farther faster
with kindness and a good attitude.
Unless you don't want that, and lots
of people don't.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 14th, 2016 at 10:30:13 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
A 6 year old could probably understand the injustice of the original sin claim.

FrGamble can't and won't.

It's pretty simple, god punished generations of humans for a decision by the original human couple he manufactured out of dirt and a rib. As far as I can tell, all of god's mighty omniscience and power used to lay a trap, which god already knew about.

I wouldn't expect the Pope to come up with a good reason for such a ridiculous punishment because there isn't any.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 14th, 2016 at 10:49:58 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: rxwine

It's pretty simple, god punished generations of humans for a decision by the original human couple he manufactured out of dirt and a rib.

It's just a simple teaching myth, meant to
instruct primitive uneducated people, not
to be taken as a real story. When FrG
tries to explain myths like they really
happened, he will always get into big
trouble because they make no logical
sense. Myths by their nature defy logic.
Look at the Jesus myth.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 14th, 2016 at 11:09:43 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Evenbob
It's just a simple teaching myth, meant to
instruct primitive uneducated people, not
to be taken as a real story. When FrG
tries to explain myths like they really
happened, he will always get into big
trouble because they make no logical
sense. Myths by their nature defy logic.
Look at the Jesus myth.

Myth or not the lesson it teaches is fundamental to the Catholics idea of original sin, that's why it's important. And it's so flawed that it's an insult to intelligence even as a lesson.

There are myths which can teach useful simple lessons. The boy who cried wolf, for instance.

Quote:
The moral stated at the end of the Greek version is, "this shows how liars are rewarded: even if they tell the truth, no one believes them".
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 14th, 2016 at 11:58:51 PM permalink
Evenbob
Myth or not the lesson it teaches is fundamental to the Catholics idea of original sin, that's why it's important. And it's so flawed that it's an insult to intelligence even as a lesson..

I agree, that's why the whole concept of original
sin is so preposterous. To build a whole religion
around it is ridiculous. It's not in the Bible, it was
developed in the 2nd century. It's basically Paul's
idea (big surprise).

"Paul believed that Adam's transgression in a mysterious way affected the nature of the human race. The primeval sin, a Pauline creation with no biblical or post-biblical Jewish precedent, was irreparable by ordinary human effort."

Paul invented modern Christianity. This was
the crux of it, he invented something for us
that only Jesus could save us from. This is how
twisted and sick this gets:

"All of humanity was really present in Adam when he sinned, and therefore all have sinned. Original sin, according to Augustine, consists of the guilt of Adam which all humans inherit. As sinners, humans are utterly depraved in nature, lack the freedom to do good, and cannot respond to the will of God without divine grace."

All of this was made up after Jesus died.
It's utter nonsense and dangerous
psycho-babble.
August 15th, 2016 at 5:16:16 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Another very good question. We were indeed made perfect, but what makes us so amazing as finite beings invited into the eternal is our constant increase in learning and in love. These two aspects of ourselves are seeming inexhaustible, limited only by our physical health at times (at least our learning capability). We were not imperfect in the Garden of Eden but we were constantly and perfectly growing in our love for each other and God. We were also increasing constantly in our understanding of the world around us and in knowledge. Human beings are not imperfect when we are growing in knowledge and love. In fact this is what makes us human. We will never fully grasp the infinite but we are never more happy and fulfilled than when we grow in these two unique and unquenchable desires in ourselves to love more perfectly and learn. We are only truly imperfect when we use our freedom to hate or to embrace falsehood. This is what Original Sin did. You can see the effects immediately as Adam and Eve turn on each other and embrace the falsehood that God is somehow a competitor to their happiness or there to limit them.

God knew what would happen, had the power to prevent it at no consequence to us, and chose not do so. It is perfectly unjust.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
August 15th, 2016 at 6:47:08 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Dalex64
In the garden of Eden, before the fall, were they "in the crib" and somehow ignorant or naive and in need of improvement? If so, why did God create such imperfect beings (in his own image, of course)

Obviously Jehovah has self-esteem issues.

How else would you explain an omnipotent entity who out of all time and all places, has nothing better to do but watch whether people masturbate?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
August 15th, 2016 at 8:55:41 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
The point of my little synopsis here is that Jesus is not here to provide you with comfort.

So your gods won't comfort you, they won't help you, and they'll stand passively by in the midst of atrocities no matter how awful..

In short, they'll act as though they don't exist.

That's fitting, because they don't really exist.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
August 15th, 2016 at 10:42:18 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
A 6 year old could probably understand the injustice of the original sin claim.

I think a six year old would understand that if you do something wrong.

Quote:
It's pretty simple, god punished generations of humans for a decision by the original human couple he manufactured out of dirt and a rib. As far as I can tell, all of god's mighty omniscience and power used to lay a trap, which god already knew about.

You continue to think that setting up consequences for wrong or evil actions is laying a trap of some kind. You think God's punishment for our sins is unjust for some reason. Even in our imperfect judicial system we recognize that there needs to be consequences for your actions. Do you think that God should have given us true freedom to act as we chose and made it so when we chose to do wrong we are still rewarded for such actions?
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (