TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: Evenbob
God waited for the Yanks to arrive, just like
everybody else. The Holocaust is evidence
that no god exists. If he did exist, and he let it
happen to the people he promised to
protect, what good is he to anybody.

God waited for the Russians to arrive in many cases. Which often was not much better either. Or God let the survivors be forced marched from one camp to another, and the evidence of the crimes hastily scrubbed away by the retreating Nazi's.

The Holocaust shows, to me, the absence of a loving, personally involved God in human affairs. If the only respite he can to those pushed beyond all limits to die in a frozen field starved and beaten after years of torture is the thoughts in your mind, then I'm not sure this love and grace is something I want to be in the prescence of.

A personal god who lets hockey players score miracle shots, but lets a 12 year die in the Dachau camps, who intervenes to give wealth to business man, but lets one of his followers suffer for years at the hands of sadists, is hard to describe as a just and loving god from where I am sitting.

Maybe it all makes sense in the end, with this master plan God has for all us, or so they say, but that feels like a BS excuse for suffering to exist in the world if you ask me.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
July 25th, 2016 at 10:32:45 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: TheCesspit
Maybe it all makes sense in the end, with this master plan God has for all us,

In the end it's all random, and random always
makes perfect sense. There is no personal
god, at most there is an impersonal force
in the universe and living things is how it
expresses it's consciousness. We are it
and it is us. If true, a rather mundane
explanation. But in the end, when the
truth comes out, everything is rather
mundane. We give meaning to life,
it has no meaning of it's own.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 26th, 2016 at 12:30:28 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Auschwitz is a clear example of how evil mankind can be when we reject God and make our own meaning for life at the expense of others. God cannot remove or veto our free will without at the same time making us less than human and removing our ability to truly love.

Also it is the height of strength and love to suffer with others. In fact you can tell who loves you by who sticks by you in good times and bad, in sickness and in health. What you seem to want in God is a superman, what God desires is a personal relationship of a friend. That is truly the answer to our greatest prayers, to know we are loves unconditionally and forever!
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
July 26th, 2016 at 12:35:49 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
On regards to WYD, we are not talking about a rock concert. You've got to understand the scale here. We are talking more than a million people from every corner of the globe descending on Krakow. All of these people are young and filled with faith and joy. I like your attempt to attribute it to group think or synergy. It is better attributed to the risen Lord Jesus Christ!
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
July 26th, 2016 at 2:04:14 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Fleastiff
Watch the Vagabond Opera performance of The Alabama Song. .

Nearly 90 years old and still going strong

July 26th, 2016 at 5:00:32 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: FrGamble
Auschwitz is a clear example of how evil mankind can be when we reject God and make our own meaning for life at the expense of others. God cannot remove or veto our free will without at the same time making us less than human and removing our ability to truly love.

Except in fact, when he does answer prays and perform miracles. He destroyed armies and cities.

Oh well, I get in the next second you can argue how god interferes with evil sometimes and not others. And somehow it make perfect sense to you???
Bah.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 26th, 2016 at 6:32:50 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Can't you let the padre celebrate his shindig without making it an argument about the deity(ies) he worships?

There'll be plenty of time for arguments once he's back.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
July 26th, 2016 at 8:07:06 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Nareed
Can't you let the padre celebrate his shindig without making it an argument about the deity(ies) he worships?

+1
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
July 26th, 2016 at 10:36:43 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: Nareed

To quote Trump, someone else started it. Me, I just joined in.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 26th, 2016 at 10:48:22 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
I'd let the Father enjoy his event with the outpouring of love.

I've made my point.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life