World Youth Day in Poland

August 3rd, 2016 at 7:38:36 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
Second funniest thing I heard today is that World Youth Day is a borefest. .

I forgot, scratch a Catholic and you often find a
drunk. Here's a good article from the Catholic
Herald.

Why Are So Many Priests Alcoholics?

http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/commentandblogs/2014/08/25/why-are-so-many-priests-alcoholics/

I still say Sturgis is more fun, absolutely
nobody there is brainwashed and the
girls like to take their clothes off a lot
more than Catholic girls do.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 3rd, 2016 at 8:40:06 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
You are something else.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
August 3rd, 2016 at 9:30:04 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
You are something else.

He takes great joy in it, I am sure.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
August 3rd, 2016 at 9:31:07 PM permalink
Evenbob
You are something else.

I honestly forgot that Catholics drink. I remember
now how many Polish Catholics I knew on the
West Side who were falling down drunks.
Evangelicals, Baptists, never drink. Boring people,
they put me to sleep. That's my wife's family.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 3rd, 2016 at 11:43:25 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I thought this video was a glowing review at first. But then you listen as the lady goes on. (75,000 subscribers, so it may be a real news agency)

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 4th, 2016 at 12:44:47 AM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: rxwine
I thought this video was a glowing review at first. But then you listen as the lady goes on. (75,000 subscribers, so it may be a real news agency)

Not a big pope fan. She managed to keep the
appalled sound in her voice for the whole thing.
August 4th, 2016 at 5:45:52 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3

Again I will say that it is not only the largest multinational gathering of the Church it is the only such gathering of young people from around the world of its kind. What other group would be able to gather 2,000,000 young people from around the world for an event? I'll look again at your list but this is not a year long pilgrimage or a gathering like a funeral that brings together people of various ages mostly from one country. There is nothing like it on your list.

Again: the world cup and the Olympics.

I don't consider the Hajj to be a year long pilgrimage, either.

But if you are insisting that the one thing that makes it unique and impossible for anyone else to pull off is the fact that it is mostly young people, I disagree. Just because no one else has done something with all of those qualities does not mean that no one else can. I think no one else wants to. The Olympics and the world cup aren't marketed that way.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
August 4th, 2016 at 6:14:25 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Dalex64
Again: the world cup and the Olympics.

The Olympics bring roughly half a million people.

Quote:
I don't consider the Hajj to be a year long pilgrimage, either.

People travel to Mecca for the Hajj throughout the year.

Quote:
But if you are insisting that the one thing that makes it unique and impossible for anyone else to pull off is the fact that it is mostly young people, I disagree. Just because no one else has done something with all of those qualities does not mean that no one else can.

So it is just because no one else has tried or wants to?
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
August 4th, 2016 at 6:59:11 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Dalex64
Just because no one else has done something with all of those qualities does not mean that no one else can.

You misunderstand the point. The esteemed representative of the church has fallen into the trap of equating "unique" with "good" in the moral sense. It's a subset of "popular" equaling "good" as well. But by arguing the points of uniqueness and popularity, you lend credence to his moral fallacy.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
August 4th, 2016 at 11:17:50 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I was surprised to read Rod Stewart had a 1994 concert which drew 3 million.

Of course the Catholic Church is a big organized group with a long history and recognition compared to a Stewart.

Stewart didn't have a week long concert either.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?