The Holy Trinity

June 14th, 2018 at 2:34:56 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: FrGamble
The second thing I have experienced in every 3rd world country is an amazing amount of joy and happiness. Sometimes I am jealous of their joy and wish we had more happiness in America. Have you experienced something different?

I think the poorest place I've been is the Dominican Republic. I can't say that spending three days in Santo Domingo makes me an expert, but the people seemed upbeat and cheerful to me. More than here at least.

I've also been to Nicaragua, which might be poorer, but they didn't seem as happy as in the DR.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
June 14th, 2018 at 2:41:58 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Crushing poverty is exactly that; crushing.

Billions live in crushing poverty
in India, Asia and Africa. The
last thing they worry about is
celebrating their purpose in
life.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 14th, 2018 at 2:44:39 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Wizard
I think the poorest place I've been is the Dominican Republic. I can't say that spending three days in Santo Domingo makes me an expert, but the people seemed upbeat and cheerful to me.

I was in India and that part
of the world in the late 60's.
I saw mostly people miserable
in unbelievable poverty. It was
very depressing.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 14th, 2018 at 2:59:28 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Evenbob
I was in India and that part
of the world in the late 60's.
I saw mostly people miserable
in unbelievable poverty. It was
very depressing.

Did you perhaps visit one of Mother Teresa's convents? I bet you would have found something different there.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
June 14th, 2018 at 3:46:47 PM permalink
Evenbob
Did you perhaps visit one of Mother Teresa's convents? .

Why would I have done that, I
was there on a world tour, not
writing for Catholic Monthly.

My point is, you see the world
thru your rose colored priest
glasses, I do not. Just like you
see a god everywhere that
doesn't exist. The power we have
to delude ourselves is amazingly
strong.

And no, it doesn't work both ways.
I was never taught an ideology, I
don't try and cram the world into
my belief system. My parents didn't
fill my head with nonsense from the
age of 2 on..
June 14th, 2018 at 3:59:37 PM permalink
FrGamble

My point is, you see the world
thru your rose colored priest
glasses, I do not.

I do see the world through the lens of my faith. It is not at all rose colored. I see so many people who are lost and do not know their worth and dignity. I see so many who do not know they are loved and many who feel they are unlovable. I see those whose hopelessness leads them to evil and despair. Sometimes I wish I could put blinders on and only care for myself. However, the lens of faith gives one a wide vision that always sees hope, but sees A LOT of hurt all around us too.

Quote:
Just like you
see a god everywhere that
doesn't exist. The power we have
to delude ourselves is amazingly
strong.

You prove the power we have to delude ourselves all the time. Why are you so sure there is not a God?

Quote:
And no, it doesn't work both ways.

Yes it does. You refuse to answer why you call me and all who believe in God dunderheads because we believe in something we cannot prove. Yet you never seem willing to turn that mirror on yourself and recognize that according to your logic you also are a dunderhead for believing is something you cannot prove as well.

Quote:
I was never taught an ideology, I
don't try and cram the world into
my belief system. My parents didn't
fill my head with nonsense from the
age of 2 on..

It is up to us as adults to chose our ideology or our beliefs. You still don't believe in Santa do you? Don't blame your parents or mine for our current belief systems. You think about it on your own and make your decision.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
June 14th, 2018 at 4:08:16 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
*EXCERPT*You refuse to answer why you call me and all who believe in God dunderheads because we believe in something we cannot prove. Yet you never seem willing to turn that mirror on yourself and recognize that according to your logic you also are a dunderhead for believing is something you cannot prove as well.

Many millennia ago, someone couldn't figure out why the sky made a rumbling noise and decided some powerful entity must be angry -- as time rolled on and scientific understanding increased - there was no longer a need to explain thunder as "God bowling" -- such is the case as more millennia pass - science continues to explore and explain - eventually, God will not be necessary for people
June 14th, 2018 at 4:30:52 PM permalink
Evenbob
I do see the world through the lens of my faith.

That's what I said.

Quote:
Why are you so sure there is not a God?

Refer to the eleventyteen times you've
asked me this and read my answers.
Going back to 2011.

Quote:
You refuse to answer why you call me and all who believe in God dunderheads because we believe in something we cannot prove.

I do it because you believe in something
you cannot prove. You just nailed. Atheism
is not a belief, it's a lack of belief.

Quote:
Don't blame your parents or mine for our current belief systems..

Oh but I do. For many people what
they were taught as a child means they
have no choice as adults. They don't
have the capacity to figure out the truth.
Your church counts on this.
June 14th, 2018 at 4:56:07 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: aceofspades
Many millennia ago, someone couldn't figure out why the sky made a rumbling noise and decide some powerful entity must be angry -- as time rolled on and scientific understanding increased - there was no longer a need to explain thunder as "God bowling" -- such is the case as more millennia pass - science continues to explore and explain - eventually, God will not be necessary for people

I don't know anyone who worships or believes in God because God explains some cosmic or material mystery to them, do you? You keep attacking the "God of the gaps" and I am happy to join you in that because that is not what I or any one understands as God.
June 14th, 2018 at 5:03:02 PM permalink
FrGamble

Refer to the eleventyteen times you've
asked me this and read my answers.
Going back to 2011.

I have and you have never once given a coherent or logical answer as to why you are sure there is no God.

Quote:
I do it because you believe in something
you cannot prove. You just nailed. Atheism
is not a belief, it's a lack of belief.

I'm glad I nailed it, see we can understand each other at times. However, what you continue to not get is what you so boldly claim over and over again. Your atheism shows itself as a certain belief that there is no God. It is NOT just a lack of belief in God. You go further and say that you can prove a negative, namely you know fore certain that there is no God. All I am asking is if it is true that you can't prove a negative and you say to me I am a fool because I can't prove what I believe, then for the love of all that is good in this world, why do you not consider yourself foolish as well for holding something that cannot be proved?

Quote:
Oh but I do. For many people what
they were taught as a child means they
have no choice as adults. They don't
have the capacity to figure out the truth.

Do you really think this or are you joking?