2018 Winter Olympics PyeongChang

Page 14 of 17« First<11121314151617>
February 15th, 2018 at 7:45:51 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
I see skateboarding will be in the 2020 games. I like the snowboarding in the winter games, so I'm intrigued.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
February 15th, 2018 at 10:26:13 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Watching biathlon
Those are some of the coolest looking rifles I have ever seen
Many have a real sci-fi look to them
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 18th, 2018 at 1:11:47 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Suspected bronze medal winner in curling suspected of doping
Yup Curling
Maybe more will consider this a real sport

https://www.si.com/olympics/2018/02/18/russian-doping-curling-pyeongchang-winter-olympics
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 18th, 2018 at 5:15:37 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

Russian curler Anastasia Bryzgalova is suspected of making people not care if curling is a real sport or not.

February 18th, 2018 at 6:37:51 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
I was listening to interview on CBC radio a member of the Olympic committee that choses which sports get in. Video gaming has applied and he thinks they will get into the 2024 games but the vote has not occurred yet. He was quite candid on why. The young demographic of the audience and huge number of people currently watching it. I had no idea but he cited 100 to 200 million viewers. If video gaming does get in then that certainly does confirm that the Olympics are now just a media company looking for audience.

They always have deleted and added sport. Don't think many people would be alive that can remember long jump for horses or tug-o-war.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
February 18th, 2018 at 11:46:47 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: kenarman
Video gaming has applied and he thinks they will get into the 2024 games but the vote has not occurred yet.

An interesting idea. Perhaps it may be a way to introduce handicapped people into real olympic medal competition.

February 19th, 2018 at 4:24:58 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: kenarman
I was listening to interview on CBC radio a member of the Olympic committee that choses which sports get in. Video gaming has applied and he thinks they will get into the 2024 games but the vote has not occurred yet. He was quite candid on why. The young demographic of the audience and huge number of people currently watching it. I had no idea but he cited 100 to 200 million viewers. If video gaming does get in then that certainly does confirm that the Olympics are now just a media company looking for audience.

I work with a few people (2-3) that have told me about "channels' were people watch people play video games. The players "host" and make a side hustle out of it. Some make a near living off of it! They host and talk to their little community. So this blew me away, a life so empty that you don't even play the games, but you watch someone else play!

Then one told me about how at one time people thought nobody would ever watch baseball, basketball, or golf. When they say it like that, I could see where they were coming from. I don't get it, and I do not at all get watching golf, but yeah, games may make it in. Probably as a "demonstration" sport with no medals at first.
The President is a fink.
February 20th, 2018 at 1:48:42 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I'm not alone in not watching the
BoreLympics:

Ratings for NBC’s broadcast of the Winter Olympics in PyeongChang, South Korea, are down, with seven percent fewer viewers than the 2014 Winter Games in Sochi, Russia.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 20th, 2018 at 2:20:07 PM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
Quote: Evenbob
I'm not alone in not watching the
BoreLympics:

Ratings for NBC’s broadcast of the Winter Olympics in PyeongChang, South Korea, are down, with seven percent fewer viewers than the 2014 Winter Games in Sochi, Russia.

There's reason for that: your medal count. Truly the USA is having an awful Olympics. And I hate to say this, but the nightly NBC prime time coverage has not been good. The NBC App however is good as it allows you to watch items live and to watch replays of events that you are interested in.

We DVR the Olympics on the various channels and we will both watch what we are interested in. Then I simply pull up my App and watch what the coverage misses.

The time difference is rough. When you are broadcasting the last set of skaters live in figure skating, for example (a big pull) you are looking at later than 11pm on the east coast.

West Coast is better as the major events start at 4pm PT.
February 20th, 2018 at 2:31:44 PM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
Quote: terapined
Suspected bronze medal winner in curling suspected of doping
Yup Curling
Maybe more will consider this a real sport

https://www.si.com/olympics/2018/02/18/russian-doping-curling-pyeongchang-winter-olympics

Give me a break. The guy's an idiot. That would be like me taking testosterone to be able to get and up and down the stairs at home.

And hey, I admit, you gotta be in a bit of shape to be in top form. But NOT TOP PHYSICAL form, which to me, are what the Olympics should be about.

Your US Mixed double team... not exactly in physical tip-top form. Mind you, they're excellent curlers. And you are entitled to disagree, but cut the bull crap about being in fantastic shape to play.

Sports are admitted to boost ratings. Beach volleyball and a number of the crazy ski events that are part of the X games. When the Americans dominate a sport, they push it to be in the Olympics to boost the NBC contract value and ratings. What happens though is that other nations catch up and the Americans are no longer dominating the sport, so they stop watching.
Page 14 of 17« First<11121314151617>