2018 Winter Olympics PyeongChang

February 14th, 2018 at 12:25:34 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I can see how a game of moving rocks across ice might start. Of course a lot of games have started in similar rudimentary fashion.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 14th, 2018 at 2:27:52 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: boymimbo
I thought that was a ploy of the right to call someone gay just to insult them. (aka Bob saying inside sources about HRC).

Maybe on a schoolyard. But otherwise probably not since the 1980s. The rumor about Hillary has been around for years. The behavior of her and Huma just adds to it.
The President is a fink.
February 14th, 2018 at 3:41:14 AM permalink
AZDuffman
I'm surprised you Americans know what curling is!!!
Frankly, is it a winter sport worthy of the Olympics? I don't think so.

Curling has a weird following here. Some of us started paying attention just because it was never put on mainstream coverage. Sort of the revenge of those who hate figure skating. I can't wait, I got my CBC feed working and assume it will be on tonight!
The President is a fink.
February 14th, 2018 at 7:25:18 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14

Okay I will rise to the bait. What do you think it lacks to be an Olympic sport?
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
February 14th, 2018 at 11:53:19 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73

I think its worthy
To me
Sports is just a game or race with some physical activity.
Why should it not be worthy?
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 14th, 2018 at 4:11:07 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Curling on CBC streaming, life is good!
The President is a fink.
February 14th, 2018 at 9:03:10 PM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
Quote: kenarman
Okay I will rise to the bait. What do you think it lacks to be an Olympic sport?

Don't get me wrong, I like the fact that it usually raises the Canadian medal count by two (now three). I like to equate the Olympics to athleticism. I don't think professional curling requires much sense of that (yes, you have to be in a bit of shape to sweep). It's more of an accuracy thing. You could be obese and participate as an Olympic curler. No other winter Olympic sport (with the exception of perhaps an ice hockey goalie) is like that.

In that sense, darts, golf (well it is), bowling (definitely), croquet, pool, and rock climbing should also qualify as Olympic sports. I also think table tennis and equestrian events should not be in the Olympics.
February 14th, 2018 at 10:46:40 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Don't get me wrong, I like the fact that it usually raises the Canadian medal count by two (now three). I like to equate the Olympics to athleticism. I don't think professional curling requires much sense of that (yes, you have to be in a bit of shape to sweep). It's more of an accuracy thing. You could be obese and participate as an Olympic curler. No other winter Olympic sport (with the exception of perhaps an ice hockey goalie) is like that.

In that sense, darts, golf (well it is), bowling (definitely), croquet, pool, and rock climbing should also qualify as Olympic sports. I also think table tennis and equestrian events should not be in the Olympics.

Golf and bowling were Olympic sports. I think rock climbing will be in the next summer games.

I can understand why the horse events should be out, but table tennis is a physically demanding activity.
February 15th, 2018 at 7:16:55 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14

I don't think you appreciate the level of training it takes to be a top curler today. The old days of the overweight smoking curler are long gone at the top level. Todays top curlers usually throw 100 rocks a day in training (try that when you are out of shape) plus several hours in the gym on top of that. One of the draws of curling is old out of shape people can compete at a club level but you are never going to be an Olympic champ without putting in the training.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
February 15th, 2018 at 7:28:15 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Ayecarumba
Golf and bowling were Olympic sports. I think rock climbing will be in the next summer games.

I can understand why the horse events should be out, but table tennis is a physically demanding activity.

Absolutely Table tennis belongs
I remember watching Ariel Hsing USA table tennis teen prodigy at the London Olympics
She came close to beating China's number 1 player
What a match. Bill Gates personally showed up to watch. He's friends with Ariel.
China was sweating bullets over that match
Them losing that match would be like USA losing to China in basketball
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"