I need you to come into work this weekend

April 5th, 2019 at 2:03:18 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Any word from the new law firm?
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 5th, 2019 at 2:43:00 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob

Will you be working under Arnie Becker?
The President is a fink.
April 5th, 2019 at 2:53:53 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83

I have an interview this week and they are making their determination on hiring by tax day
April 5th, 2019 at 2:54:53 PM permalink
aceofspades
Here's what happened today that has made me realize I have no other choice than to finally leave - which I will discuss with the Owner on Monday

I had to make a court appearance with a client - the client no longer wanted the Owner personally handling the case - however, she did want me to continue being involved - as such, the Owner kept me working on the case and assigned an attorney, who used to work for the Owner but now only subleases space from him, as my co-counsel - however, the co-counsel is not as aggressive as I am - he is about 25 years older than I am and tries to be calm even with unreasonable opposing counsel - not a bad thing but, sometimes you have to be a pit bull

We arrive at Court and, within minutes of our client arriving, opposing counsel and their client arrived - opposing counsel came over with a ridiculous proposal whereby his client would have parenting time with the child each and every weekend (leaving our client with no weekend time) - our client (not a shy woman at all) - spoke up and stated she wouldn't agree to it - my co-counsel told her to "Stop it" - she did not appreciate that - eventually no agreement was reached and the Court called us in to go on the record - opposing counsel presented his idea that his client should have parenting time with the parties' child every single weekend and leave our client with no weekends with the child

The attorney assigned by the Court to represent the child's interests (who we had unsuccessfully sought to have removed from the case due to her flirtation with the father of the child and clear bias in his favor) then spoke up and stated if the Court would indulge her, she thought she could broker an agreement

We all went outside into the hall and the child's attorney took each side into a conference room to discuss

Basically, she proposed to not only give the father every weekend but also an additional overnight during the week (which would have tripled the number of overnights he currently has per month)

Our client almost jumped across the table and scratched her eyes out - but she kept quiet and let my co-counsel respond - he responded that we were not amenable to tripling the overnights but we would agree to double the overnights

Our client looked at me and mouthed "What the F**K‽"

So I told the child's attorney that even doubling it was too much, especially for a father who pays zero child support but somehow lives in a $5k/month apartment and always has new clothes every time we are in Court -- now, on the record, the non-payment of child support is not supposed to come into play when it comes to parental access but, off the record, what Judge is going to NOT take that into consideration

The child's attorney then spoke with opposing counsel and they would not budge - they wanted the overnight parenting time tripled and would not agree to anything less

As such, we went back into the courtroom and informed the Judge that we could not come to terms - at that point she one attorney from each side of the case to argue their case regarding the father's request for tripling the overnights -- my co-counsel waived me off and stood up - our client looked at me and rolled her eyes - she wrote on the legal pad in front of me that my co-counsel is "too wimpy" - the other side then made their pitch and finally, the attorney for the child began staring her position

As she did, there were certain facts she was misstating and certain assumptions she was making that was incorrect

At that point, I stood up and began to object to her misstatements and assumptions - about three words into this, my co-counsel finally became aggressive, however, his aggression was directed at me - shouting at me, in open Court, to "Shut up!" - my head was about to explode and our client looked at me as if to say "You kick his a$$ or I will" - rather, I calmly got up from the table, grabbed my coat and umbrella and walked out - I will not be disrespected by my own co-counsel who refused to let me say one word in defense of our client - who treated me like an imbecile in open Court in front of our client

I am done - I am informing the Owner of the firm Monday that I am leaving at the end of this pay period (which is next Friday)

This might seem trivial but it has all become cumulative over the past few months - I am done
April 5th, 2019 at 3:05:59 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: aceofspades
This might seem trivial but it has all become cumulative over the past few months - I am done

You think it's a co-incidence the
co-council did this? It's all an
orchestrated effort to make you
quit, and it worked.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 5th, 2019 at 3:15:32 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Maybe it's time to take command of the firm
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
April 5th, 2019 at 3:46:37 PM permalink
aceofspades
You think it's a co-incidence the
co-council did this? It's all an
orchestrated effort to make you
quit, and it worked.

I think you give them more credit than they deserve
April 5th, 2019 at 3:46:53 PM permalink
aceofspades
Quote: petroglyph
Maybe it's time to take command of the firm

And go down with a sinking ship - nope, I am not the captain
April 5th, 2019 at 6:11:58 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: aceofspades
And go down with a sinking ship - nope, I am not the captain
If someone doesn't take the wheel, the whole boat is going to end up being given to this little cretin, just like the apartment.
How does the protoge's wife look? Maybe do a Joe Biden on her.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
April 6th, 2019 at 7:57:14 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
You don't like where you work. Join 100 million other Americans. Find another job. When you have done so, give notice.
The one thing that bothered me about this entire saga is that you were representing a client. You felt that the client was not being represented properly by a co counsel. Instead of standing up for the client, which is your ethical responsibility, you got up and left? Because YOUR feelings were hurt?

Oh well. Get out of there!