I need you to come into work this weekend

July 8th, 2019 at 9:17:23 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: DRich
I have always worked for smaller companies that usually only have one to three people in each position. In my current position I am they only one who could possibly do some of the tasks. If I am out, they will not get done until I get back. In a small company a weeks time of not getting a task done can cost you a contract that the company can not afford to lose.

Imagine if you were the only anesthesiologist at your hospital, when you are gone no surgeries could be done. I would guess that would really hurt the hospital.

Even when I am sick I usually go to the office. It is not because I like working, I just don't want the company to suffer because I am sick.

People who feel like you do are often the owners, or at least employees that make a bonus or commission based on your productivity. Anesthesiologists tend to think differently. If you are in a small practice that requires three anesthesiologists every day, the practice will typically have 4 with each getting 13 weeks vacation. But I do agree about working sick. Not including something like a major illness, the anesthesiologists I've worked with averaged less than 1/2 sick days per year. Almost never call in.
I am typing this from Santorini..... vacation!
July 9th, 2019 at 9:31:31 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: SOOPOO
People who feel like you do are often the owners, or at least employees that make a bonus or commission based on your productivity.

That may be because I have owned small businesses before and know how difficult it can be. Sadly, I do not get bonuses or commissions as I am just a generic employee at this company.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
July 10th, 2019 at 9:11:58 AM permalink
DRich
I just scheduled Lumbar Spinal Fusion surgery for next month and the surgeon said to tell your employer that you may be out up to 3 weeks. Mine is scheduled for a Wednesday and I already told my employer that I will be in on the following Monday. I can't imagine that I won't be able to sit at my desk. My job requires no physical excursion.
July 10th, 2019 at 9:23:02 AM permalink
Mosca
I just scheduled Lumbar Spinal Fusion surgery for next month and the surgeon said to tell your employer that you may be out up to 3 weeks. Mine is scheduled for a Wednesday and I already told my employer that I will be in on the following Monday. I can't imagine that I won't be able to sit at my desk. My job requires no physical excursion.

It probably won’t heal correctly if you are in a sitting position. Take the time you need, otherwise you are destroying a valuable asset (yourself).
July 10th, 2019 at 9:32:22 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Mosca
It probably won’t heal correctly if you are in a sitting position. Take the time you need, otherwise you are destroying a valuable asset (yourself).

Preach.

3wks?! What in the world.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
July 10th, 2019 at 10:31:49 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Face
Preach.

I just went ahead and talked with the surgeon that does the re-do's in Az., thought I'd save time that way.

Then, I talked to the insurance lady who is required to pay for it. She said you go ahead and pick any doctor you want for your surgery {s} and I will pay for it. But what I won't do, is pay for the 2nd's and 3rd's. So look real closely at the statistics for success before going in.

I'm still running under the advice that my first doctor gave me which was, "when you have to drag one of your legs in here, we will set you up for surgery". As he said then [04] they are always on the cusp of a break through in new methods and new implants/devices. If you can hold out, maybe something even better will be available when you drag that leg in here.

So far the man's advice has been sage, they have already came out with artificial disc's, who know's what else is right around the corner? I'm hoping for something better like gene therapy of stem cells or something that doesn't require gorilla glue and removing anything useful.

My odds on success were only about 30%, so I didn't jump hop on it.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
July 10th, 2019 at 10:39:58 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
That's my lifeline. "Maybe tomorrow". Maybe tomorrow they'll find something. I got 12 more years, maybe by then...

Magic Johnson. Here's hoping.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
July 10th, 2019 at 2:12:48 PM permalink
DRich
Quote: Face
Preach.

I thought 3 weeks seemed ridiculous considering it is only one night in the hospital. They want me to begin physical therapy the first week but not go to work for 3 weeks. That seems backwards to me.
July 10th, 2019 at 2:34:59 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
I thought 3 weeks seemed ridiculous considering it is only one night in the hospital. They want me to begin physical therapy the first week but not go to work for 3 weeks. That seems backwards to me.

I would put in for FMLA and take a month off
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
July 10th, 2019 at 6:55:42 PM permalink
Mosca

Studies show that starting pt as soon as possible gives the best results. I’ve had many surgeries. For every one, I’ve started therapy as soon as possible. The day after open heart surgery I was walking.

For something like a lumbar fusion, the rehab is most likely very specific, and the result of tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of operations and recoveries.

My father, god bless him, never did his pt for any of his surgeries. Each one left him more disabled than before. It didn’t have to be that way. People recover completely from surgery now, even major surgery, because of advances in post operative care. He fractured a disc in his back, refused to go to the hospital for a week, then after surgery didn’t do his pt and wound up wheelchair bound.