No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (6.66%)
1 vote (6.66%)

15 members have voted

August 28th, 2021 at 12:38:03 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Its looking like Boosters will be officially starting at the end of September for people with over 8 months since their last shot (some talk that it may be lowered down to 5 months).
August 28th, 2021 at 12:41:22 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: missedhervee
Well, if he's been caught up in the ongoing problem of the church it could be that his parish is now defunct due to lack of interest.

Few new members of the catholic church in America these days; they are now casting their net widely in the Third World to stay relevant and solvent.

I sometimes wonder which factor promotes disaffection with the church more: priests as pedophiles or people just finally thinking critically and realizing the catholic liturgy / way of life is baloney on stilts.

I think the Church just makes them live in more poverty if there isn't enough member support.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 28th, 2021 at 12:42:38 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: ams288
This reads like someone desperate to get FrG to engage in another tiresome back and forth with you.

Maybe he’s just not that into you?

If they haven't rehashed every possible topic more than 3 times over, then I don't know what.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 28th, 2021 at 12:49:08 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

Few new members of the catholic church in America these days; they are now casting their net widely in the Third World to stay relevant and solvent.

Companies like Amway are styled after the business model of the Catholic Church. The church's main goal since its Inception has never been about saving people or spreading the gospel. It's been about getting as many new members as possible by any means possible. This ensures a wealthy lifestyle for those in charge. Go look at how priests in the Vatican live or any priests when they reach high rank. They live like they're very wealthy, often times in private mansions with servants. The Church has always been about money and always will be.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 28th, 2021 at 2:29:30 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
In the news...

"BEND, Ore. — The death toll from COVID-19 in Oregon is climbing so rapidly that two counties have requested refrigerated trucks to hold the bodies, the state emergency management department said Saturday.

So far, Tillamook County, on Oregon’s northwest coast, and Josephine County, in the southwest, have requested the trucks, said Bobbi Doan, a spokeswoman for the Oregon Office of Emergency Management.

Tillamook County Emergency Director Gordon McCraw wrote in his request to the state that the county’s sole funeral home “is now consistently at or exceeding their capacity” of nine bodies.

“Due to COVID cases of staff, they are unable to transport for storage to adjacent counties,” he wrote, adding that suicides are also up in the county.

The refrigerated truck arrived in the county on Friday, loaned by Klamath County, Doan said in a telephone interview.

The Tillamook County Board of Commissioners said Friday the spread of COVID-19 “has reached a critical phase...”

“In the past week, we more than doubled the number of COVID deaths in Tillamook County, from five to eleven,” Commissioners Mary Faith Bell, David Yamamoto and Erin Skaar wrote. They begged residents: “Please get vaccinated.”

The request come as the coronavirus delta variant tears through Oregon’s unvaccinated population...

But in Josephine County, where hospitals are overwhelmed and its morgues are also reaching capacity, the vaccination rate is only 53%, according to Oregon Health Authority data. The vast majority of COVID-19 patients clogging the state’s hospitals and intensive care units are unvaccinated.

Unlike their counterparts in Tillamook County, Josephine County commissioners are urging people to get the vaccine."
August 28th, 2021 at 2:32:44 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Might be time for a savvy business starter to look into it and determine if a second funeral home in the county would have enough business to sustain it during normal times. I wonder what percentage of the business that would have otherwise went to the existing funeral home they could expect to get? Do you think 30% would be a safe assumption?
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
August 28th, 2021 at 3:33:33 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote:
But in Josephine County, where hospitals are overwhelmed and its morgues are also reaching capacity, the vaccination rate is only 53%

By accident I live in the wealthiest Township in the county where I live. In the first week of May the vax rate was almost 50% in June and July went over 80%. In August it's at about 95%. The rest of the county I think is at like 62%. In this Township we have Walmart, Target, a grocery store from a giant chain, Sam's Club, Etc. Wearing an N95 mask, one that is rated at 99.3%, and social distancing, the chances of getting covid in this Township are probably about zero. The two townships to the east and south almost as wealthy as my Township so I'm assuming the stats are about the same. If my family had not bought this house in 1959 I could not afford to live here. The house behind me in the woods listed for 1.3 million a couple years ago. A house that size would sell for 6 to 8 million in Los Angeles or Las Vegas. These people around here did not mess around getting vaccinated, they have way too much to lose.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 28th, 2021 at 4:36:10 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
In the news...

"BEND, Ore. — The death toll from COVID-19 in Oregon is climbing so rapidly that two counties have requested refrigerated trucks to hold the bodies, the state emergency management department said Saturday.

I drive past a funeral home in Las Vegas almost everyday and they have had refrigerated trailers outside for months.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
August 28th, 2021 at 8:34:01 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
I only recently found out about this story in the context of the Florida surge.

In December a warrant was executed on a former GIS employee for misuse of a platform (no charges), the firing and warrant were clearly retaliatory for her not editing the numbers earlier the year so that Florida could "reopen".

Keep in mind this is a State that has made mask mandates illegal. And, now they are just about the worst as far as death rates per capita (just behind Mississippi).

Its ironic because conservatives love free speech, except when that involves posting data that they do not agree with, and then the power of the States can be used to raid your home.

And, now they have water rations, so I guess all of that freedom is working out.... Unfortunately people do not realize that short term luxury means a longer term crisis, its the Florida immediate gratification culture.

Luckily the mask ban was overruled for schools by the Florida Courts (meaning that schools can choose to require masks).

https://www.npr.org/2020/12/08/944200394/florida-agents-raid-home-of-rebekah-jones-former-state-data-scientist

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/14/876584284/fired-florida-data-scientist-launches-a-coronavirus-dashboard-of-her-own

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/story/news/education/2021/08/27/judge-throws-out-desantis-ban-mandatory-masks-florida-schools/5622013001/
August 28th, 2021 at 8:50:43 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: DRich
I drive past a funeral home in Las Vegas almost everyday and they have had refrigerated trailers outside for months.

Most coffins aren't easily stackable like in the old days with flat lids.