Quote: Tanko
Guidelines

Guidelines don't mean jack
Its right up there with suggestions
This is much ado about nothing
White people determined to find anti white racism
Are Trumpers going KKK. Seems like it.
ROTFL
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 17th, 2022 at 4:43:30 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Drug of the Week

"Cannabidiol Inhibits SARS-CoV-2 Replication and Promotes the Host Innate Immune Response"

"Our results suggest that CBD can block SARS-CoV-2 infection at early stages of infection, and CBD administration is associated with a lower risk of SARS-CoV-2 infection in humans. Furthermore, the active compound in patients is likely to be 7-OH-CBD, the same metabolite implicated in CBD treatment of epilepsy. The substantial reduction in SARS-CoV-2 infection risk of approximately an order of magnitude in patients who took FDA-approved CBD highlights the potential efficacy of this drug in combating SARS-CoV-2 infection. Finally, the ability of CBD to inhibit replication of MHV raises the possibility that CBD may have efficacy against new pathogenic viruses arising in the future."
January 17th, 2022 at 4:56:10 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 17th, 2022 at 7:00:50 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
I was in a feed store in a town near here to pick up feed for our donkeys and some bird seed on the way back from a short trip this weekend.

A black woman walked in and headed toward the medicine aisle. She asked about ivermectin and someone from the store helped her pick out one to use that was not a paste. I think it may have been an oral one to use as part of a "drench" (stick a tube in an animal's mouth and force liquid medicines in to them.

That was the first time that I actually saw that, though I have heard of others using that.
January 17th, 2022 at 7:12:58 AM permalink
terapined
January 17th, 2022 at 7:13:45 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Tanko
Instead of rationing covid treatment with a policy to provide treatment for those most likely to benefit from it, NY State continues its race based preferential covid treatment policy, as Minnesota removes race as factor in rationing COVID-19 antibody treatment.

NYS Eligibility Guidelines

"Oral antiviral treatment is authorized for patients who meet all the following criteria:"

• Have a medical condition or other factors that increase their risk for severe illness.

"Non-white race or Hispanic/Latino ethnicity should be considered a risk factor, as longstanding systemic health and social inequities have contributed to an increased risk of severe illness and death from COVID-19"

If you are white or asian and can benefit from Paxlovid or Molnupiravir, which substantially reduce the risk of hospitalization and death, you're out of luck in NY.

The dirtbags who pushed asians in front of subway trains for laughs, would get the treatment before you.

To all the people on here who wonder why some of us want no part of government run health care, THIS is exactly what we are afraid of. I have mentioned on here that this is what will eventually happen when the government decides who gets care. Liberals pooh-pooh you when you suggest this will happen.

Expat retirement looks better and better!
The President is a fink.
January 17th, 2022 at 7:25:13 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: terapined
A doctor can't give a drug that does not help
Thats lawsuit country
Give a drug that does not work will hasten a death
No Doc will give a treatment that will hurt a patient
I'm in the hospital and they consider horse paste as a treatment, I'll sue them for everything they got. They took a hippocratic oath to do no harm. Giving me horse paste is doing harm. No doubt the above patient lived a little longer without horse paste. Can you imagine doctors just giving him horse paste when he 1st checked in, a goner a lot sooner.

Typically, yes they actually can.

Generally speaking, doctors have an extremely wide ability to prescribe medications to their patients for, "Off-Label," use if they think it's appropriate. Oxycontin (and mostly for FDA approved use) might be what started the opioid epidemic, but there were many drugs that came after that (some designed and approved by the FDA ONLY for cancer patients) that also became abused because doctors would prescribe them for off-label uses.

Subsys is one example of a fentanyl spray that was exclusively for severe pain suffered by cancer patients, but actually would end up having the majority of its prescriptions be off-label as doctors would knowingly prescribe it to addicts (some were arrested) and the company all but directly bribed doctors to prescribe the drug to virtually anyone with pain despite the fact that, if your pain isn't severe enough, the chemical changes that it would make to your brain (euphoria) are such that it would put your dopamine production on unheard of levels and basically prevent your brain from producing adequate dopamine for any other reason if not getting the drug.

Anyway, this is where people are stupid and I don't even need to read the article (though I did end up reading it), it's this simple:

1.) If a doctor suggests a course of treatment, a patient can refuse if he is considered of the mental state to be making an informed decision. The patient would also have to be able to seek alternative treatment safely.

2.) If a doctor prescribes something, then it doesn't have to be for on-label use, though a pharmacy can refuse to fill it for that, or for some other reason, such as knowing it's contraindicative with something else the patient is on and the doctor either doesn't know it or doesn't know the patient is on that.

3.) A patient can certainly suggest whatever course of treatment he wants, but doctors are fully within their rights to refuse to go that way if they don't think it will be of any benefit. You can't order a doctor to do something the doctor thinks is bad for the patient.

With that, if the doctor had thought it would help, then he could have done it. They really wouldn't have had a basis for a lawsuit on that if the patient died because the patient would almost certainly be asked to sign a waiver, or whoever the power of attorney is. Part of that waiver would almost definitely be that they think the treatment has a non-zero, but very low, probability of success...if the doctor actually thought it would improve at all.

This kind of frivolous crap is what drives up the cost of medical care in this country---ridiculous lawsuits. Drives costs through the roof.

Really, what are they supposed to do? You obviously can't move the guy. None of the doctors at Mayo Clinic think that's an advisable course of action. Mayo Clinic doesn't allow outside doctors to practice there. That's all there is to it. What, you think there should be a law that says you have to let any doctor practice in your establishment that the patient wants to? Can you imagine the lawsuits?

If nothing else, this case got Balbona's name out there so people know where to go if they want to pursue the alternative course of treatment, which is fine, doctors generally (as I said above) have wide latitude to do what they think is best.

That said, once you go to the hospital, you're basically at their mercy if they think it is unsafe for you to be transferred. Don't like the thought of that, then die at home.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
January 17th, 2022 at 7:37:23 AM permalink
terapined
January 18th, 2022 at 4:43:16 AM permalink
terapined
I don't wish covid on anybody
I'm not happy with anybody getting covid
Its hard to avoid

Here Ingraham celebrates someone getting covid
Foxnews hate at its finest
https://www.yahoo.com/news/laura-ingraham-clapped-celebration-while-111726608.html
You should never celebrate somebody's illness
January 18th, 2022 at 5:18:23 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: terapined
I don't wish covid on anybody
I'm not happy with anybody getting covid
Its hard to avoid

Here Ingraham celebrates someone getting covid
Foxnews hate at its finest
https://www.yahoo.com/news/laura-ingraham-clapped-celebration-while-111726608.html
You should never celebrate somebody's illness

Of course not. Absolutely not. Terrible thing to do. (Wink, wink)
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman